Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Do we need a new forum section: 'Road Bikes' ?
  • jekkyl

This is a mountain bike forum isn’t it or did I get that wrong?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I ride my road bike up mountains…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It says “bike forum” at the top.

JoB
    Free Member

i ride my road bike down singletrack roads

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

I ride my mountain bike on roads, where would I fit in?

cookeaa

One of the few things I like about STW is the fact that it’susers are for the most part not very “Anti-Roadie” and most STWers don’t seem to want a Them and Us sort of culture on here.

more inclusive than exclusive, if you don’t want to talk about road bikes or riding then don’t bother with the threads that discuss those topics, it’s not too hard really…

Poor troll – you didn’t even bad mouth lycra: 2/10

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a forum for people who like mtbing.

Some of us also like road riding. Crazy, eh?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yawn, almost as predicatable as the 26 / 650B / 29 threads.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I really only come here for the road threads….

scotroutes

Can we have a separate forum for those who don’t actually ride their bikes on mountains?

atlaz
    Free Member

If you want to segregate yourself from other types of cyclists, maybe go to Bikeradar. They love that stuff. STW doesn’t.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I quite like the fact that people post about different disciplines – it inspires me to try things I might not try if I’d been short-sighted enough to pigeon-hole myself as a “mountain biker”.

I’m a cyclist. I ride road bikes, I ride mountain bikes. I ride bikes for fun and I don’t think I’ve ever seen type of bike and not thought “I wouldn’t mind a go in that…”

aracer
    Free Member

That’s a good idea. We could also have a separate forum for those who push their bikes up hills, one for singlespeeders and one for people with funny sized wheels. That way you’d only ever have to see posts from people who do the same sort of riding as you do, which would save a lot of upset. I’m sure it would help the community spirit in here a huge amount.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It says “bike forum” at the top

THIS.

cookeaa

I’m an MTBer and I own a road bikes, sometimes it’s nice to talk about something other than 26/27.5/29″ wheels with nobbly tyres.

it’s quite sad that with Mandela on his death bed we are seeing the emergence of this sort of cycling apartheid

The various cycling niches really should not self-segregate, we all have quite a lot more in common…

Brothers and sisters let us unite!

Apart from Fat bike riders, that’s just a step too far, as bad as treating Gingers like real people!

peterfile
    Free Member

I quite like the road discussions on here. Despite not being a roadie, I get more from them than if I read them on a road forum since I can relate to the posters more.

Sometimes I read stuff on a road forum and think “wow, this is a different world” and I just can’t relate to it. However the chat on here is a level I can get my head round, it’s not such a dark art.

I reckon I’m far more likely to buy a road bike as a result of inspiration from here, rather than a road forum. I’m also more likely to ask advice about it here.

I don’t see STW as an MTB forum, more a forum filled with people with a similar outlook/hobbies as me, which is really useful when seeking advice about stuff.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yawn, almost as predicatable as the 26 / 650B / 29 threads.

That needs it’s own forum, each and every thread would start with the following

“I don’t think this has been discussed before, so which is actualy better, 29 or 26”?

epicyclo

It’s pretty good as it is, but if we are going to have an extra choice, how about a Nasty forum to which anyone being nasty could be exiled. There’s a group of regulars on here who would quickly populate it. 🙂

And maybe an argumentative forum, then we could have TJ and Fred back.

jamiea
    Free Member

Just buy a road bike, I did!

Cheers,
    Jamie

aracer
    Free Member

Fred can be found lurking on FB if you really want to go and converse with him. If you want to find out why he got banned from here, try disagreeing with him… <waves at elf>

jekkyl

lol stw’ers are funny sometimes, it seems like you’re all pent up with nowhere to vent!

Brothers and sisters let us unite!

I’m all for this, I like to wave to roadies all the time. I passed a big bunch stopped at the side of the road last night, gave them all a cheery wave as I went past and shouted ‘Off road’s more fun’ – barely a smile from any of the miserable sods, there’s just no pleasing some people.

tomhoward

This forum, almost exclusively, is the reason I have a road bike…

rocketman
    Free Member

I quite like the road discussions on here

+ 1 it’s another world I wouldn’t visit if it was in a separate forum

antigee

its actually quite easy – if not interested don’t read the thread©

personally I hate sites like Bike Radar and Rotorburn with lots of subsections and only limited activity in each – lot of faffing to find something interesting

fasthaggis

‘Off road’s more fun’ – barely a smile from any of the miserable sods, there’s just no pleasing some people.

I know what they called you,in one perfect combined thought wave, surprised you didn’t sense it really.

Sounds like Clock fiddler ,but the l is silent.

composite
    Free Member

We’d be better off having a new forum for wheel size “discussions”.

EDIT: Oh just noticed spoon’s reply. 😐

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I ride a mountain bike with slicks on the road to work.

Confused and lonely

Papa Laz

stevied
    Free Member

I like the fact that there isn’t separate areas for all the different topics. MTBR is very good for specific stuff but I like to read general bikey stuff more..
    I read some random stuff that I wouldn’t even see were they not on the main page. I don’t do road riding so just ignore most of them…like most roadies do when I say ‘hello’ when I’m on my MTB 🙄

klumpy
    Free Member

It says “bike forum” at the top

It’s a bike forum within the context of a mountain bike website. Off topic roadie and commuter stuff isn’t any kind of problem generally, but it means occasionally some numpty appears with his vid of critical mass assaulting a police officer or someone launches a rant about how everyone with a car is a tool and should be taxed and legislated out of existence and expects an unreservedly sympathetic ear because “this is a cycling forum”.

That’s like a biker going to a motocross forum and launching a scathing indiscriminate critique of van drivers and then being all bewildered at the lack of support “on a motorbike forum”.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I’m all for this, I like to wave to roadies all the time. I passed a big bunch stopped at the side of the road last night, gave them all a cheery wave as I went past and shouted ‘Off road’s more fun’ – barely a smile from any of the miserable sods, there’s just no pleasing some people.

You didn’t did you, seriously? Are you 10 years old?

I don’t see why its an issue, its all bikes. Most people don’t ride up mountains that often on road or ‘mountain’ bikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t see what the problem is myself.

tonyd

What forum for…. Cyclocross?

This is the only forum I use regularly, mostly because it’s a good mix of discussions, disciplines, and people.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Do we need a new forum section: 'Road Bikes' ?’ is closed to new replies.