Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do these wheels exist? Tubeless, silver on 120 rear track hub
  • scud
    Free Member

I am building up a lovely Soma Delancey frame, it is a 120 rear hub singlespeed/ track frame which the guy i bought it from had turned to flat bar and had some cheap singlespeed wheels on.

All the components are silver, so wanting matching collar and cuff, and as i am a convert to tubeless for road too, does what i am looking for exist?

I want silver rims, hubs and spokes, with tubeless ready rim if possible, with 100mm front and 120mm rear.

Only silver rim i have found is Velocity A23, new Open Pro doesn’t seem to be available in silver?

Hubs, any recommendations, Surly, Dura-Ace etc all seem to fall in around £200 for both if i need to build wheels?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Kinlin XR22

Hubs – avoid Dura Ace if you’ll be riding in wet weather as they have no seals. Nothing wrong with Novatec if you want to save money, Surly are a good midrange option. Phil Wood or Paul for the top end.

finbar
    Free Member

None are tubeless ready out of the box, but Halo Retro, Halo Aerotrack (or maybe Aerorage, can’t remember – it’s not both) and Mavic Open Sports are all available in silver. H PLus Son will have something in their lineup, but they’re a bit spendy.

Paul fixed hubs have a weird non-standard chainline so I’d avoid those like the plague (nearly made that mistake myself). I’ve got some Suzue Promax hubs which are beautiful, but if money was no object I’d get Royce, Dura Ace (good point about the seals though) or Campagnolo Record.

Miche are boring but practical, Halo – much the same. Goldtec are nice.

tjagain

I have miche hubs on my SS – zero problems in a few years of riding and they are bare alloy ie silver coloured

TiRed

Plenty of options. I’ve run silver Miche Primato low flange hubs in all weathers, built up with grey/silver Open Pros and Sapim spokes. I’ve run them tubeless. If you want silver rims then you’ve found them already. To be honest the black Open Pros look very good (actually better) with a silver spokes and hubs – I have two sets 😉

I also have a set of Campag track hubs with mavic MA40s too that look great. Rims are seriously tight for almost any tyres, but they look great, which is what matters.

The track nuts will all rust in the rain. I have best weather sets for dry wheels, and less good rusty ones for the other wheels.

Pierre

Another vote for Kinlin XR22s, they’re great rims, though not that common in silver. They’re a good candidate for tubeless and they’re wide, light and stiff.

Miche Pista hubs are good quality and last well. Several other brands of hub are basically the same hub re-branded and sold for more money, so check them out carefully before you part with your cash. Bear in mind that, as others have said, dedicated track racing hubs tend to be built for indoor / dry use only, so have no seals so they can run nice and smooth and fast. Dura Ace track hubs are lovely but unless you’re going to service the bearings regularly (which _is_ feasible, they’re Shimano so loose ball bearings), they won’t last long.

scud
    Free Member

Great thanks all.

Anyone had experience of the Surly hubs, any good?

The Kinlin wheel options look good umop3, thanks

dovebiker

Halo = rebadged Kinlin / Novatec stuff – not worth paying a premium.

Kinlin XR22T available in silver and tubeless ready – pinned rim but pretty robust.

Pacenti Brevet is a classic-looking and tubeless-ready rim too – not cheap though.

Bricklane Bikes have some nice own-branded hubs: https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/blb-king-front-hub-32h-silver

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Dovebiker.

Found a set of high flange Miche Primato hubs for £47, so thinking i may well build them myself, now debating TiRed’s comments and thinking that actually a black rim may look better….

Can you have too much silver!?

schmiken

I’ve sanded and polished DT Swiss 460s before and used Autosol to make them look very shiny – worth a shot if you’re desperate!

tjagain

MY ss is black with silver parts( stem/ bars/ cranckset / hubs – all bar the rims nd spokes which are black ( but with silver braking tracks) I like the way it looks I think the black rims better than silver ones.

scud
    Free Member

The frame on this is a green 70’s style silver fleck paintjob, with nice chrome lugwork, so looks very retro from the off

finbar
    Free Member

Schmiken – did you lacquer them afterwards? Mask off the braking surface? And how did you sand round the eyelets? (Sorry for the all the questions but it’s something I’ve considered doing and been too scared…)

TiRed

Can you have too much silver!?

Braking surfaces are still silver – the black look is nice and subtle. I prefer it, and I’ve run all three Open Pro options. And go for low flange – nothing says hipster more than track hubs on a road bike. Subtle is a much nicer look. The hubs are the same price as high flange. And single sided – none of this flip flop nonsense – go hard in the (usually wrong) gear and out up with that headwind!

Andy

Paul there is an ebay seller doing Miche hubs quite cheaply at the moment. He is open to offers. Think I paid £33 posted?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miche-Primato-32H-fixed-free-Large-High-flange-silver-pair-of-hubs/173821814172

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, will take a look

kerley
    Free Member

The track nuts will all rust in the rain.

Unless of course you get the Halo aluminium track nuts which I use (plus they are a few gram lighter!)

schmiken

I used R460 – so no eyelets. I just sanded away, got the anodising off ( didn’t worry about the braking surface), polished and then got them clear anodised. Worked great, even if it was loads of work!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do these wheels exist? Tubeless, silver on 120 rear track hub’ is closed to new replies.