Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do these North Pennine birdleways exist?
  • JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

I’m putting together a short bikepacking route and was wondering about the existance of a few trails and if they do exist, how rideable are they?

1. Holwick near Middleton in Teesdale to Maize Beck near Cow Green Reservoir (NY 902 270 to NY 806 276). I’m sure I’ve looked over to the western end of this when riding to Cow Green before but not seen eanything. It’s also right on the edge of the shooting range.

2. The BW from Grassholme / Selsett Reservoir over Lune Moor / Crossthwaite Common to Holwick (NY 924 224 to NY 900 270)

3. North Stainmore BW to Balderhead Reservoir (NY 835 160 to NY 906 187)

4. From the A67 near Bowes the map shows two Pennine Way bridleways going north to Baldersdale, is one more rideable than the other?

5. Knarsdale, over Knarsdale Common and Croglin Fell, to Croglin (NY 659 521 to NY 568 475)

6. Maiden Way over Melerby Fell (NY 678 424 to NY 646 332)

Thanks.

failedengineer

The Knarsdale one is next to impossible to find and not worth the effort, IMHO. The Maiden way can be followed, but a lot of it is a bog. Tried it once ….

dlr

I couldn’t see the maize beck one when last there couple of years back, granted I was north of the river, it is a firing area I think. Going from the car park at the Reservoir heading W/SW onto the Pennine Way towards maize beck was fine however

Strava Heatmap probably best to have a look around. I know up in the Cheviots I often end up blindly following the Garmin as there is no track on the ground as never used, plus they can be boggy and horrific grass lumps etc. On that note, the section to maize beck was pretty boggy the first time I did it, maybe give it a few weeks or go back to earlier this year lol

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#13.50/-2.26204/54.63746/hot/ride

Does look like the odd walker on your no.1 but only a very patchy cycling one suggesting perhaps not possible, maybe best to head up to the reservoir and go that way as I did above

montgomery
    Free Member

1. No.
    3. No.
    5. Dear God, no.
    6. I’ve always had a soft spot for the Maiden’s Way, but Kirkland to Garrigil is a better option on a bike.

I might check out 2 & 4 tomorrow on foot, I’ve been wanting to do something new in that area.

salsa
    Free Member

All local routes for me

1. Have done it, Rideable from Holwick until you over look the Tees, descent is a leg breaker as lots of holes hidden between rocks. Not rideable. Bridleway along side Tees to Maize Beck is non existent, we waded the Tees and hikeabiked up Cauldron Snout

2. Yes, easy to go off track near the start, bits of walk near start, walk down last 100 yards through Holwick Clints

3 Never again, a very long walk

4. Both thin on ground, personally would take the right one, then up the estate road to meet the direct route over to Baldersdale

5. ??

6. Yes prefer East to West

salsa
    Free Member

Garrigill to Knock passing the radar station is doable, the track by the river on the way up is washed out in places. Both ways possible, popular tarmac climb from the west.

High Cup Nick is possible, there is a track round the back of Cow Green to the Harwood to Alston road

thenorthwind

I was planning to do 1 recently, and asked about it. Someone told me they’d done it the previous year – they didn’t say what the riding was like, my only concern was the dead end BW by Birkdale Farm and they confirmed that was passable. I assume they’d have said if the rest was that bad.

tjagain

Geograph is good for checking out routes

http://www.geograph.org.uk/

wzzzz
    Free Member

Maiden way is almost none existent until you hit the shooting road on top. One for dry ground conditions or east to west.

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

Thanks.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Geograph is good for checking out routes

http://www.geograph.org.uk/

we need an MTB geograph, with pics of the path rather than the views!

joe-m

I tend to use Bing maps to flick between the OS maps and aerial view and I reckon if I can’t spot signs of a path on there then it probably doesn’t exist.

JonathanTompkins
    Free Member

I agreed with you about the Maiden Way as I pushed it up the boggy bit but once over the top I thought it was great, really loved it.

slowol

I’ve walked 1 a few times over the years but not recently. It is a moorland path until Thistle Green so should be at least partly rideable. Used to be a regular route for the farmer on a quad to the bottom of the hill but bits can be tussocky.
    As above once near the Tees it becomes blocky and hard walking.
    Crossing Maize beck when dry is Ok but IIRC is over knee deep and the sort of crossing where keeping shoes on is preferable (usually take socks off so they stay dry) but the local rock is rough and can be sharp edges.
    I don’t recall an issue getting to the track on the far side but can’t recall whether you can go through the farm or need to walk round the west side of the fields, not a massive detour.
    If the river is not low then don’t try crossing. There used to be signs advising this. It’s a tedious bog and rock hop to the bridge 2k south west.
    Good walk and very wild place and worth a visit, much wilder feel than the Yorkshire Dales plus loads of rare plants etc. Might be quite a bit of hard pushing with a bike.
    The path is technically just outside the danger area so red flags and getting shot won’t be a issue but you may spot the odd character dressed in green lying in a peat hag.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do these North Pennine birdleways exist?’ is closed to new replies.