Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do the QR up tight, mech hanger moves and throws indexing out….
  • Poopscoop

A good condition old Arkose does Zwift duties during the Winter.

Having trouble indexing the gears though. In the high gears indexing fine but goes wrong in low (big rings) at the back. The mech hanger is obviously out… Thing is I know why!

I’ve straightened the hanger out using the correct tool… BUT when you clamp it into the Core you can see the hanger move over… Which throws the indexing out…

So! I’m figuring I’ll put the bike back in the stand, fit a rear wheel and torque the QR up as hard as I do in the Core? Then reset the hanger again… Needs to be tight on the Core as the frame moves on the Cores removable 135mm QR dropouts otherwise, when I’m out of the saddle.

Sounds like a plan, right??🤔

timbog160

It’s coz you have too much bum cream on so your arse slides about all over the saddle making the QR work loose 😉

Try adding some sharp sand to your bum cream mix to provide grip.

Poopscoop

Cheeky sod! Lol😄

Just been messing about with the turbo bike actually. Just finished… I do my best spannering at stupid o’clock…

Removed hanger and the chain ring bolt that holds it in. Cleaned it all up and noticed that the Wahoo Core’s qr fits partly over the chain ring bolt that holds the hanger on so the qr doesn’t fit flush as the bolt isn’t flush with the hanger. Decided to get the dremel clone out and I’ve ground part of the bolt down. Qr sits flush now but hanger still moves inwards when tightening the qr up. After googling, seems quite common.

So…. Decided to do what I mentioned in my opening post. Put bike in stand, put wheel in and clamped up the qr tight. Then straightened the hanger with hanger tool. Removed wheel and fitted back on the turbo and refitted mech etc.

Can’t test out indexing tonight really as too bloody loud… After some gentle pedalling it seems better though and I will properly index/text it tomorrow.

Off to bed soon. Bum still sore.

timbog160

Presumably though the indexing will then be out when it’s off the turbo? Or do you only use it for zwift?

Poopscoop

Only for the turbo mate. That said, in theory, if the wheel was put in and I managed to torque up the qr to the same tightness I suppose the indexing should be ok. A moot point though, as it’s a Zwift only bike.

SirHC

Index the gears on the turbo?

timbog160

If I’m reading the Poop right on this it’s not the indexing per se that is the problem, but the fact that the hanger moves, and therefore is effectively ‘bent’ relative to the wheel. As is often the case with a bent hanger it’s then impossible to get it indexed properly…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do the QR up tight, mech hanger moves and throws indexing out….’ is closed to new replies.