• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Do the police follow up every 999 report?
  • matt_outandabout

I ended up calling the police last night, as a couple of youngster in s Focus decided that the M80 at night, in rain was a place to try and play games. Over taking, swerving in front and standing on brakes; keeping alongside me then edging over into my lane until I slowed down, riding my bumper flashing lights and so on – for 10 miles….all the time female passenger and driver laughing away…

It was 11.30 at night, I called police on speaker on mobile as I was in the Yaris, so the call was short – thier car reg, my details, where was I, done.

I sort of expected a call back today…. Should I stay patient, or just forget it?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

My own experience of 999 Police Camera Action is as follows:

Witnessed HGV hit and run neighbours car with 4k damage = no action at time or later

Witnessed coach smash parked car = no action at time or later

Both scenarios lead to me giving police clear descriptions of vehicle, driver and reg numbers

Mate had shed broken into and MTB’s taken = police didnt even visit as it “wasnt inside a house”

So dont hold your breath…………………

bigjim

I suspect they don’t give a hoot unless it is caught on camera sadly. I found it hard enough to get a response from the police who attended an accident I was in, nevermind a potential accident. Finally got hold of one of the officers and he said their only interest in attending was to see if I was dead or not and they hadn’t gathered any witness statements or details, so I never knew what happened.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Scotland matt? Someone would have been sent to try and trace them, how soon depends on what resources were available. Calling people back to let them know what happened though is not something Police Scotland are very good at if I’m honest.

scotroutes

Should’ve told them you were carrying a gun and were about to administer your own justice. That would have got you a response l.

Lummox

Well what do you expect since the police have been decimated along with all other public services and continue to be so. Only so many hours in the day for what’s left to try and deal with an increasing workload.

Crap as it is the torie pr machine did its job perfectly.

Don’t get sick, have a car accident or need the police- it’s bad and it’s going to get far far worse.

bruneep

It’s ok, the unemployed will be doing will be doing all public sector jobs as part of the Tories community plan and the Royals national service plan.

Sorted.

theotherjonv

**** hell, does every thread have to be turned into politics now?

I suspect they will have checked if they had a car in the vicinity, and maybe a check on the car itself (reported stolen, for example) but ime they don’t operate a callback service on their limited resources.

bedmaker

Nobody actually died = no problem IME

Marko

**** hell, does every thread have to be turned into politics now?

. . .don’t operate a callback service on their limited resources.

Have a think about that one. The clue is limited resources.

HTH

Marko

boblo
    Free Member

Blimey they’ve managed to wipe out Police efficiency in just over a week? Good going. Wonder how we account for similar behaviour in, ooo, about 6 or 7 years ago?

Could just be the tubby, useless feckers were otherwise engaged eating doughnuts, patrolling the station etc and CBA to respond? About as likely as the shite spouted up there…

matt_outandabout

I want expecting a call out of politeness. I was expecting it to get more information. The actual 999 call was very brief, as I was in process of avoiding the other car at the time, thinking I was close to a crash.

globalti
    Free Member

You’d be amazed (and worried) if you knew how few Police are actually on duty in your area at night. In the borough of Ribble Valley, my PC neighbour tells me there will only be three officers on a weekday night.

singletrackmind

and to add balance

when riding HONC my phone rang 999 from my camalbak. How it managed to unlock the keypad, dial 9 3 times, then the ‘ring’ key I have no idea.

My phone is ringing away in my backpack , then I get a text . So at the teastop I get it out and there are missed calls and a text from Glocs Police.

Text read something like 999 call received , is this a hoax ? are you in trouble, please ring xxx xxxx to clear this incident from our action log.

rang them and explained . Guy on phone was fine about it , guess it happens alot.

theotherjonv

edit – actually forget it, i can’t be arsed.

natrix
    Free Member

To add balance, I was driving along the M4 Saturday morning when two bell-ends started having races. One in a Mitsubishi Evo (reg was EVO NUT) the other in a red souped up Merc. Five minutes later an unmarked police car had pulled the Merc – my how we laughed 😆

langylad
    Free Member

Globalti, make that three officers for the whole of Pendle (nelson, colne, clitheroe, longridge, barnoldswick etc). There haven’t been three officers on duty in the Ribble Valley at night for a long time.

Cougar

for 10 miles

Think I’d have pulled over and stopped, waited till they’d sodded off.

grey

From a reliable source. In the Scottish borders area from the M74 across to Berwick upon Tweed and up to the Edinburgh Regional boundary, there is only one traffic unit on patrol at any one time.
    There are still Mobile speed cameras though.

enfht
    Free Member

Near identical situation, but the driver was very very drunk, he pulled off the motorway onto a roundabout nearly hitting a cyclist and then drove off brushing parked cars as he went. I followed behind whilst Mrs Enfht called the cops. Jump forward 20 mins and the guy had parked up and staggered into a house….still no Old Bill yet but the kind hearted sweethearts then texted me the non-emergency number. 😮

crankboy
    Free Member

I did similar in leeds individual in a particular brand of car nearly hit me in order to undertake a car that had scarcely overtaken me then proceede3d to drive down a 40mph dual carriage way at speed undertaking overtaking swerving jumped a couple of lights as you would expect in a city despite his driving I ended up close enough to get some of his number plate . Rang it through to the local traffic unit as a partial plate explained I was sure they could not do much . I got a call back from an officer who had traced the driver and been round scared the bejesus out of him and told him his card was marked .

just read some papers for a multi handed affray with masks and weapons in a very rough area no police turned up only two cars on duty for the entire district both occupied with other matters . We get the police force we deserve/are willing to pay for.

matt_outandabout

.Think I’d have pulled over and stopped, waited till they’d sodded off.

I did go for one junction – and they followed… So I then did a last minute back on. They did an over the Hinton, round roundabout and back on to catch me up…

kcal

That’s a bit scary. Find a local police station (but probably closed, eh).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Do the police follow up every 999 report?’ is closed to new replies.