Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Do STW'ers actually like anyone?
  • Woody
    Free Member

After a rather depressing scan of the Axl Rose, Ricky Gervais threads and even Danny Hart and many others in the past, it strikes me that there aren’t many (or any) who are above criticism or fail to meet the high standards set by the keyboard heroes of STW.

Is there anyone who is universally liked and respected by the STW massive?

Moses

Most of us liked your mum.
    🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

They seem to love roadies, but hate mountain bikers.

Klunk
    Free Member

i hate everyone especially other bike riders.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Most of us liked your mum

But yours was better.

The 2 Ronnies?
    Tommy Cooper?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

No

oldgit
    Free Member

Themselves.

Woody
    Free Member

Thinking about it, I can’t recall any negatives about Steve Peat.

donsimon
    Free Member

Thinking about it, I can’t recall any negatives about Steve Peat.

Isn’t he the one who rides with skill compensators?

Woody
    Free Member

Suspension or spd’s ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Everyone loves me 😀

CHB

I like lots of people….Thatcher, john Major, Robin Cook, Ricky Gervais to name but a few.

nealglover
    Free Member

It s just a standard response of people trying to be clever or cool to dislike things or people that are generally though to be popular.

It’s just their way of making out they are superior in some way, for not liking things.

For example, why click on a thread titled ” The Grand National” just to say That you don’t watch it and anyone that does is somehow inferior ???

Just don’t click on the thread if it doesn’t interest you, and let your superiority remain a mystery 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Everyone loves Jedi, no?

CHB

Yes, unless its the one that becomes Darth Vader.

bedmaker

It s just a standard response of people trying to be clever or cool to dislike things or people that are generally though to be popular.

Perhaps there are lots of ex Melody Maker/NME staffers on here?

Jamie
    Free Member

I hated hipsters long before it became cool to do so.

jools182
    Free Member

No, not even myself

JEngledow
    Free Member

Themselves.

No I think I’m a tool and I’m getting really annoyed by my own company at the moment.

loddrik
    Free Member

Better to hate everyone/everything and work backwards from there, that way you don’t waste time liking something, only later to realise that you don’t really like it after all.

**** hate this thread too btw…

ton

i love everyone. it takes far less energy to love people than to hate them.

Woody
    Free Member

There is definitely a ‘tipping point’ where people who were once liked/loved become loathed through jealousy, envy, or, the saddest IMO, just so the detractors can try to appear superior as NG has said ^^.

We only have to look at the cycling ‘names’ on here to see it on a smaller scale. Jedi, Ed Oxley, Dialled Mike, Cy, (first names that spring to mind) can barely put a foot wrong, whereas Brant, who has been well known for a long time, has the highest profile and considerable success in his various guises, polarises opinion.

It’s a sad trait which seems to be worse in the UK than anywhere else 🙁

tazzymtb

Better to hate everyone/everything and work backwards from there, that way you don’t waste time liking something, only later to realise that you don’t really like it after all.

I like this, I’m stealing it to be my new mantra, cheers ya ****

donsimon
    Free Member

has the highest profile and considerable success in his various guises, polarises opinion.

Isn’t there even a problem with the language we use or points regarding what we don’t see.
    If we have a differing point of view it’s seen as polarising.
    Folks are only judged on the threads that they post on and not on the posts they don’t.

alpin
    Free Member

i’m not a fan of me ATM. upset the GF and her friend last night. now in the doghouse.

not really a fan of babies.

mudshark
    Free Member

There are even people here who hate the Royal Family!

simonralli2
    Free Member

No hate in my life. I’m too busy having fun on my bike 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I hate smug people who bang on about cycling somehow removing the need for hate.

Like pie, there is always room for hate. 8)

MSP

What’s the alternative? just fawning over every self promoting asshat on earth?

yunki
    Free Member

I like sheeps

molgrips
    Free Member

Babies are rubbish, really – at least at first. Some become cool at like 6-9months or so.

Our second is a great laugh, our first one at that age was indifferent and only really interesting to us.

Woody
    Free Member

just fawning over every self promoting asshole on earth?

No-one mentioned fawning, or for that matter, valid criticism, which is quite different 🙄

I would rather reserve my ‘hatred’ for those who truly deserve it ie. those who have done nothing, achieved nothing, contributed nothing, yet have gained fame and fortune by virtue of being famous for being famous eg. any Big Brother contestant, footballers wives etc etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

or perhaps they just dont like these things?

It’s just their way of making out they are superior in some way, for not liking things.

or its just the fact they dont like these things and then you label them superior with no evidence?

For example, why click on a thread titled ” The Grand National” just to say That you don’t watch it and anyone that does is somehow inferior ???

So they stated an opinion on the subject being discussed then…that is indeed odd

Just don’t click on the thread if it doesn’t interest you, and let your superiority remain a mystery

Did you think of following your own advice for this thread 😉

To the OP
    JEDI
    Pie
    Riding [ though not the style in question]
    Moaning
    Hope??

Woody
    Free Member

I thought of Hope as being one of the ‘built up then slagged off’ examples.

MSP

No-one mentioned fawning

You obviously haven’t read the axle rose thread.

chewkw
    Free Member

I love Dear Leaders! 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

Babies are rubbish, really – at least at first. Some become cool at like 6-9months or so.

Our second is a great laugh, our first one at that age was indifferent and only really interesting to us.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but no baby is cool.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ours is. Impossible not to smile back when she grins at you.

Woody
    Free Member

You obviously haven’t read the axle rose thread.

I have but I wasn’t really talking about specifics (FWIW I always thought Axl Rose was a **** but a damn good rock star), just the general trend of people reaching a point of fame/popularity and then very rapidly becoming unpopular with no apparent reason or justification.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bloody wuss…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Do STW'ers actually like anyone?’ is closed to new replies.