Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Do Shimano 6 bolt and centre lock hubs place brake rotors in the same position?
  • Naranjada
    Free Member

I want a spare pair of 29er wheels fitted with commute-friendly tyres to swap with wheels fitted with MTB tyres. The MTB rims have Shimano XT 6 bolt hubs.

The cheapest, ready built wheels with Shimano hubs that I can find all seem to have centre lock hubs.

I don’t want to have to adjust brake calipers each time I swap, although I suppose it wouldn’t be the end of the world, an extra 5 mins faff.

Changing tyres is not an option, the MTB rims are Stans and tubeless.

Who knows if both types of hub place the rotor in the same position and so will not necessitate adjusting the calipers every time they’re swapped?

Cheers.

rocketman
    Free Member

They *should* be in the same position but only once have I swapped wheels and not needed to adjust the calipers.

The concern with QR XT hubs is that as the cups/cones wear and the locknuts are adjusted the effective width of the hub changes so the position of the fork leg relative to the hub changes slightly, and the calipers will need adjusting even on ‘identical’ XT wheels.

andyl
    Free Member

If the difference is in the correct direction you can use shims on the 6 bolt rotors to space them out to the same as the CL rotors.

However if the 6 bolt sits further out already you are a bit screwed unless you can add a small shim to the QR axle to increase the gap a touch but I guess you have to be careful not to misalign the fork legs.

29erKeith
    Free Member

it’s has worked for me. will no doubt be different with different hubs

but my Hope Pro2 6 bolt, On-one centre lock hubs on my Scandal and Deore centre lock hubs on my CFD all swap no probs

mrbelowski
    Free Member

The clearances on my Elixirs are so damned tight that half the time I have to muck about with the calliper after replacing the wheel anyway. I would be surprised if even 2 wheels with the same rotor fixing method (even the same hub) didn’t need some calliper fettling after a swap

Wozza
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I have a set of factory XT wheels and a set of XT hubs on Mavic XC717s both centrelock with RT79 rotors and M775 callipers.

If I swap them over I still have re align the brake. It’s no different than if I change to my crosssrides with 6 bolt rotors.

cynic-al
    Free Member

works fine. I guess there’s a standard.

D0NK

dunno about shim 6 bolt but a shim CL was interchangeable with DT 6bolt I found out during a last minute wheel change. Pretty sure I’ve had to adjust brakes when switching wheels before tho so I don’t think its a very accurately followed “standard”

Naranjada
    Free Member

As suspected it probably “depends” even if there is a standard …thanks very much for all the replies, it’s helped me make my decision.

Think I’ll get me some wheels from Merlin.

Cheers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Do Shimano 6 bolt and centre lock hubs place brake rotors in the same position?’ is closed to new replies.