Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Do people actually ride their bikes?
  • simonk
    Free Member

My bike is used 5-6 days a week in every weather, regular cleaning and maintenance help keep it smooth.
    This is part of my commute home from work.

[/url]Troll in the woods by Cyclingsi, on Flickr[/img]

dannybgoode

Why would I want to ride my bike? Too much like hard work and the reason I bought a car.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have two bikes and one is ridden a lot more than the other, do it all HT vs FS for holidays/trips away. I try and keep both in very good condition, simple pride of ownership and if you don’t have time for a ride you can enjoy some relaxation with a little maintenance. My FS is lightly used but I’m not too precious both bikes have a few marks from crashes etc, they are not museum pieces.

hora
    Free Member

A few stwers admit having not been out for weeks on bikes then others who buy 4xreverbs/multiple kit for their numerous bike ‘options’.

I ride.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tomaso, I think a lot of people do buy bikes with an idea they are going to get into / do more mtb-ing and then don’t. Also these are ads for sale so perhaps a bit of artistic license. I could advertise my 2012 Covert frame as having 3 weeks riding as my knee injury has meant no holidays / big rides for 18 months

darrenspink
    Free Member

Indeed cleaning is just maintenance.
    Riding like a proper MTB’er is using them for their intended purpose and surely that is the reason you spent the big wedge on the nice bike? The bikes I see looking mint don’t appear to have done much of this.
    There is an advert on eBay at the most that typifies what I mean
    Specialized FSR STUMPJUMPER elite not the cheaper comp model
    LARGE 19″ FRAME very light
    Early 2011 model
    Hardly used not abused at all
    Just serviced also new brake pads front and rear plus bearings
    Ready to ride away no play in any bearing
    Rides like new in very good condition hardly used at all
    No off roading at all on this bike
    elixir rsl brakes really sharp
    Fox talas forks which have been serviced with no wear plus lock out
    Xtr rear mech
    Metallic silver with chrome stickers
    New tyres front and rear
    New ztr crest light weight tubeless wheels with
    Hope evo2 hubs
    Must be seen amazing bike through out
    First to see will buy
    Bike Must go as Iv ordered my new 29er carbon bike
    quick sale needed cash on collection open to sensible offers

This kind of person does my melon in. Could be bull shit of course.

My bike frame looks like its had 10 rounds with wolverine.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to own 2 bikes, a ht and full suss. Both get ridden and used, but i have spent/still spend a lot of my hard earned on them, so I look after them too. They get cleaned and helitaped at new. Some guys I ride with never clean or look after their bikes. Funnily enough these guys are the ones who usually have a mechanical issue during a ride. They often comment on how clean mine look and ask why I bother as its going to get mucky again.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Good man!

postierich
    Free Member

I just ride titanium bikes as they buff up as new, I buy most of my parts off here 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

Postierich… was thinking about you whilst on delivery the other day…. how’s things??

Euro
    Free Member

10 rounds with Wolverine??? Is it a Nicolai?

postierich
    Free Member

all good so far! daftvader considering 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

good news that rich. recovering well I hope? back on delivery yet??? 😉

maxtorque

hora

I ride.

Unless there might be some “shiney” pebbles on the route of course……. 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

I know a couple of lads who live in shit holes but have 3k bikes. When they’re out they feel like kings but can’t a actually ride that well. They push up hills in the wood and do their jumps before loading their bikes into the rented t4.

So they’ve spent their hard earned cash on bikes that they seem to get a lot of pleasure from? Must admit, I’m failing to see the problem here.

Oh, and if they can do any sort of jump they’re better riders than me at least!

taffy
    Free Member

I rode mine this moring.. fell off (leet skills!) so yes it does happen. i try and look after my stuff so it looks nice but i dont baby it

tomaso
    Free Member

postierich – Member
    I just ride titanium bikes as they buff up as new, I buy most of my parts off here

They need to buff up well if you going to keep careering into cars on country lanes.

hora
    Free Member

If you live in shitholes/buy expensive bikes = ghetto fabulous

philjunior
    Free Member

Living in a “shithole” and spending money on what you like doing? Seems good to me. How much better would £300 extra a month on rent/mortgage make me feel compared to that going on beer and bikes?

bearnecessities

Quite.

binners

A clean, tidy, un-battered bike, unless you’ve just wheeled it out of a shop, is the sign of a diseased mind! Simple as that.

everyone
    Free Member

Rode my bike today at one of the race type things.

damascus
    Free Member

Plus one for super raw and it can save up to 100g. (Every little helps)

Possibly more when you add up invisi frame, inner tubes wrapped round chainstays etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Super raw doesn’t stop proper bad cable rub damaging the frame or bad heel rub either (both of which have happened to me), I went on holiday a couple of weeks ago, apart from swapping a fork damper that added 300g to the weight I topped up the frame tape and added some inner tube wrap to a chainstay and another part. It added weight, I really didn’t care. I’d rather not have damaged carbon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A few stwers admit having not been out for weeks on bikes then others who buy 4xreverbs/multiple kit for their numerous bike ‘options’.

I ride round the car park and then go home as it is windy
    FTFY

br
    Free Member

Washing a bike down, drying and lubing takes 30 mins…why wouldn’t you did after every ride?

‘cos Thursday night it was after 10 when I got back, and dark; yesterday utterly pi55ing down.

Going out today on a well-dirty bike – and based on yesterdays’ rain it’ll be absolutely filthy when I get back.

I just ride titanium bikes as they buff up as new,

Yep, no matter how long you don’t wash them for 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Nah junky the ride we did was better.

epicyclo

I was on a ride yesterday (Bravo Scozia) over forestry roads, little rivers to ford, and a small part of the ‘Puffer.

As the event was a local truncated version of L’Eroica, most of the bikes were skinny tyred road bikes well over 50 years old, but the the real highlight was the reason for the non attendance of the guy with the retro mountainbike.

His reason? He did not want to get his Muddy Fox muddy because it had been raining! 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

I try not to ‘wash’ my bikes per se. Let the mud and kack dry, then brush the excess off, lube chain and mech pivots and good to go.

The wash happens on strip downs which, depending on how frequently I get to ride, are generally a bi-annual thing for me as I tend to use the HT in winter and FS in the hopefully drier months.

hora
    Free Member

I was my bike. Well hora jnr does.

Theres a jetwash in the peaks though that is low pressure so spot on.

My roadbike is cleaned with wetwipes 25hours a day..

daftvader
    Free Member

just remember to double check the seat clamp Slackalice!!!

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Do people actually ride their bikes?’ is closed to new replies.