Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do motorbike helmets go off ?
  • Digimap
    Free Member

Used to ride (1997-2002) and I’ve still got a pair of full face arai helmets that have been in a box for the last seven years. The GF’s was only used about a dozen times and mines pretty mint so I don’t want to bin them. Are they OK to sell or do they go off over time? Any clues on price too?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I know the inners do – my old one fell apart and all I did was look at it!

My old man has some old skid lids which look pretty ropey with age but they will be different materials.

How old are the lids – there should be a date label inside them

MrNutt
    Free Member

hows the lacquer? any crazing? any stickers on them, pull them off they may have affected them?

Digimap
    Free Member

They’re both 1997, blimey that’s twelve years ago. Why the hell didn’t I sell all this gear when I sold the bike! I feel a classified post coming on.

alwyn
    Free Member

Yes they do, check it on google but there is a date depending on the type of helmet.

Sandwich

Second hand PPE ooh there’s a good idea 😯
    A Darwin award contender might buy them!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

they degrade both with time and with UV exposure.

No one with any sense would buy a second-hand one. Very much frowned upon.

So no – don’t sell them – bin them

Digimap
    Free Member

Safe on the UV exposure (stored in bags), time might be more of an issue! Just fetched them out the box and funny what memory does, they are AGV not arai!. No lacquer cracking or anything at all. Spangly too!

Digimap
    Free Member

Bonus, just found some goretex and kevlar leather gloves inside the lids!

Onzadog
    Free Member

if you left gloves in the lid I bet the lid stinks now!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Youused them for a while as well. Seriously don’t sell them – you wont get much ‘cos no one serious will buy them and some daft kid might buy them cheaply and the helmets could fail.

Normal recommendation is to bin them after 5 yrs these are 10 yrs old?

Digimap
    Free Member

TJ – You’re right, I think on reflection they’re too old. Plenty of other gear like jackets, trousers, gloves so I’ll focus on flogging them.

Onzadog – Think that says more about your sweaty mitts than anything else. All smells peachy here but then gloves are new. It’s like Christmas here, there’s another set of nice new gloves in the GF’s lid.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

2 types of lid, polycarbonate, which do go off withuv, and should be replaced after as little as a year – typically low value sub £60 elmets worn by scooter boys.

Fibreglass ones have a longer shelf life (check the sticker on the rear – is it blue or green?) but its not the shell you want to be worrying about. If its been indoors, the crucial bit, the liner, made of polystryene and other expanded foams, may be becomming a bit brittle, and its the close fitting of the lid thats so crucial. – The hemet needs a comft but tight fit. If the inner is weak, and moves your head about in the helmet in an accident then its a money saver gone horribly wrong.

Besides, unless things have changed, most agv helmets were pretty cheap and replaceable items at that age.

Given a decent helmet is less than one pair of sports tyres which may last less than 3k on the rear – do you think its a false economy.

bin them, dont sell them, cut the straps out first so no one can “find them” and sell them on.

fatblokeattheback
    Free Member

bin them, dont sell them, cut the straps out first so no one can “find them” and sell them on.

Thats what I used to do at 5yrs old.

You only use a helmet once anyway and when you really need it, it needs to be up to the job!

juan
    Free Member

PU shell are menat to be changed eery 3 years.
    No date on fiber shell. However the inside might be ruined…

And what TJ means is: No one will buy a helmet from a stranger.
    I’ll buy a helmet second hand. but it will have to be less than a few month old and own be someone I know.

Hairychested
    Free Member

My AVG is 7 years old. Dog’s poo. Lives on the shelf just in case. New X-Lite top of the rane was £130 on sale at my LMBS, a no-brainer really.

juan – Member

[quote]And what TJ means is: No one will buy a helmet from a stranger.[/quote]
    Won’t they? Check the ebay ads then. Anything with an Arai or Shoei logo gets a lot of interest and sells for decent money. More than enough for a new helmet.

juan
    Free Member

hairychested thanks now I will sell my helmet :d

Hairychested
    Free Member

You’re welcome 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do motorbike helmets go off ?’ is closed to new replies.