Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Do Middleburn/BETD make 12sp chainrings?
  • Shackleton

I may be being a bit dense but I’m struggling to find out whether Middleburn/BETD make 12sp chainrings for RS7 SQ taper cranks. The best I can find is one for thick/thin but doesn’t say what speed chain will fit on. Am I pushing my luck to expect one in boost spacing that works with shimano 12 speed?

Can anybody more skilled at google or navigating BETD’s website help out?

Cheers,

S

frankconway

Why not just email to ask?
    Alternatively, search for Hadge on here – he’s from BETD.

Shackleton

‘cos asking on here is usually faster, just as accurate and lacks marketing spin!

frankconway

you ask for a comment and then dismiss the only response.
    bye bye.

Shackleton

Wow, life must be hard when you can’t smile at lighthearted responses to being patronised.

Not being entirely new to how shops and the Internet work I have emailed them, but it’s a Saturday during a pandemic. With the best will in the world they aren’t going to reply before Monday, assuming that they have the time to spare from stopping their business going under, and I have free time now to think about trivial stuff. They’re is a good chance that STW will know the answer and can provide it before Monday. And I’m not going to badger someone on here in their private persona about work stuff unless they volunteer and put themselves forward.

oldnpastit

Don’t chains all have the same internal width? It’s just the plate thickness and the outer width that changes.

If so, you can just take any chainring and it will be fine with a 12s chain.

YMMV. It might just explode in a ball of fire.

Looks like you are not the first person to ponder this question:

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/11s-vs-12s-chain-width-compatibility-1088205.html

ajantom

Don’t chains all have the same internal width? It’s just the plate thickness and the outer width that changes

^ this.
    Narrow-wide rings will work with any chain from 7 to 12 speed.
    Manufacturers will insist that their specific tooth profile is the only one that will work, buts it’s mostly marketing bs.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

FWIW, I think there are two versions of the middleburn teeth.
    I’d asked on here as mine kept dropping the chain. A user from BETD (must have been Hadge) got in touch to ask me to send him pics so he could see. I think they updated the teeth on newer rings.
    I never got a full answer as the bike got pinched, though I do have it back now.

But essentially, if you have an older Uno ring, it might not be good at holding the chain – I’ve ended up using a top guide and clutch mech to keep mine all sorted.

Shackleton

Great, thanks all. Need to buy an uno ring anyway so looks like it should be fine. Cheers!

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Just to contradict what has already been said, Shimano 12 speed chains have a different inner profile than other 12 speed chains, the inner links are extended to better hold onto the teeth, it’s a bit hit and miss depending on the exact profile of the chainring in question but the most common end result is that the chain will struggle to mesh with the teeth at the top of the stroke, will eventually be forced on with tension through the midpart and will then struggle to let go of the teeth at the bottom resulting in some (apparently) pretty epic chainsuck.

From Shimano themselves…

The chain has an extended inner link plate, which allowed us to put the inner link plate in contact with every tooth in the chainring. Instead of an only relying on the alternating wide tooth/outer link, narrow tooth/inner link, the inner link touches every tooth for a perfectly consistent driving engagement. That quiets side-to-side vibration.

endomick
    Free Member

Shackleton, nowt wrong with your first reply, the amount of my emails to companies being ignored is shocking and some take their sweet time to response, weeks later sometimes.
    Most aftermarket rings out there aren’t rated for 12 speed chains let alone shimano HG+.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Do Middleburn/BETD make 12sp chainrings?’ is closed to new replies.