Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do Lynskey frames still break as frequently as they used to?
  • haggis1978

I’ve always liked the look of the Lynskey twisted tube frames and was just wondering if they had resolved all the issues they had in previous years? I know they’ve changed their dropouts and seat tube diameters in order to combat the issues in these areas. Has it made a difference? Cheers

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t think you can really make a call on that yet tbh. The newer designs haven’t really been around for long enough to do enough miles.

I cracked a Lynskey-made Ragley Ti downtube behind the headtube, but that was after a lot of riding over two years, like being ridden up to five or six times a week. I’m pretty sure Ed Oxley’s went in the same place, but again, that would have had a lot of use. I know of someone else who cracked the seat-tube on a Ragley, went back for warranty, came back with a 27.2mm insert bonded into a new seat-tube, but was then sent back and bored back out to the original 31.6mm. Which seems odd.

The good thing about Lynskey is the lifetime warranty. I got mine fixed after a certain amount of confusion and dissatisfaction over the original repair, so even if it does crack, you should get it sorted. And logically, the curved down tubes – more support for the headtube, straight downtube on the Ragley left a lot of headtube showing below the weld – and sleeved seat tubes make sense.

I’m not sure I’d buy one used and therefore without a warranty, but with a new one, you should be able to get it repaired under warranty if it does go and despite the initial hiccup, I’m really happy with the end result. And I suspect that having a Lynskey-branded rather than a Lynskey-made, non-Lynkey branded frame, would simplify the warranty process too.

I’m not sure that’s much help. I guess what I’m saying is that ultimately the warranty back-up is good if the worst does happen so there’s a safety net, Lynskey are good guys based on my experience of dealing with them and their frames ride beautifully – I have a Planet X Ti Pro Road as well.

You’d probably get a more representative response on mtbr.com simply because there are more Lynskey owners on that side of the pond, but I’m not sure the latest designs will have done enough miles for any general issues to be apparent yet and people with a negative experience tend to be more prominent than happy customers as with any online reviews.

Sorry for the long-windedness… 😉

br
    Free Member

2008 456Ti still going strong, pretty much broken every component that’s been attached to it (only front mech and steerer spacers are original) 🙂

honourablegeorge

BadlyWiredDog – Member

The good thing about Lynskey is the lifetime warranty

“Lifetime” meaning the lifetime of the bike, not the owner, though.

BadlyWiredDog

“Lifetime” meaning the lifetime of the bike, not the owner, though.

Dunno, have Lynskey rejected warranty claims because the bike has survived beyond its lifetime? Just wondering. I spent a lot of time looking at lynskey and warranty-related stuff and though there are disgruntled people out there with cracked frames, I can’t recall anyone having a legitimate claim rejected on that basis. I guess the obvious answer is to check the exact terms before committing to buy.

honourablegeorge

From a thread on here. someone had a failure round about five years, got rejected on the basis that five years was “a reasonable lifetime” for a Ti frame.

honourablegeorge
    ratadog

I have one of the second batch of Lynskey built 456’s. The version with the brake side seat/chainstay brace. It must be 4 years old and no issues. I’m a clydesdale, but a hooves on the ground type so it has had regular use but not abuse.

Andy

2008 On One Ti29er from Lynskey. Still going strong (touch wood 😉 ).

john_l
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 Ridgeline’s crack – the first one was the older 31.6 seatpost version the 2nd (warranty replacement) was the newer version with spigoted seat tube – that lasted just over 12 months. Tbf again, they replaced it no problem.

Lester
    Free Member

on one 456ti has 10 year guarantee
    but the titus fireline only has 2 years guartantee

rsvktm

Pro 29 with the helix tubes, tiny fracture in a weld in the seat tube. 4 week turnaround from me giving it to the bike shop and me getting it back, from my limited knowledge appears insert not long enough and was stressing the weld. Now got a longer insert, new stickers and re polished. Also appears that all the other welds were checked. I would not hesitate getting another lynskey, this one has been very well used and raced and whilst heavy (ish) this gives me more confidence in its ability to last.

Andy

on one 456ti has 10 year guarantee
    but the titus fireline only has 2 years guartantee

Lynskey On Ones are lifetime.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Cove Hummers are only 5 years never knew that when i brought mine in 2009.Still great.Doing very well with my Litespeed look-out mountain that is 10 years old.

martinxyz
    Free Member

So why do some brands decide on putting ‘lifetime warranty’ in the smallprint instead of 5 or 10 years? It seems perfectly clear if you read 5 year warranty. Besides a bit of confusion for some folk, what’s the story behind it?

Andy

Think the Litespeed story above surprised a few. Lynskey, Van Nic and Singular on the other hand for example have a reputation for honouring their warrantees. Guess its down to the attitude of the manufacturer. Although I haven’t looked at a Litespeed frame since that story.

Was a bit surprised at the Fireline 2 year warranty though. Seems a bit short for a premium product.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Blimey thats an eye opener reading the Litespeed article.No wonder not many dealers stock them anymore.You pay all thay money and it goes wrong and you get Jack S–t back.
    No wonder people buy Treks etc now more.

haggis1978

Still not good to hear of them breaking though. Looks like the way to go would definitely be brand new

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do Lynskey frames still break as frequently as they used to?’ is closed to new replies.