Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Do I want floating rotors and braided hoses?
  • mansonsoul
    Free Member

The real question for this thread is why you’re buying Hope brakes tbh.

I fancy them because they have massive spares support, rebuildable. I like supporting small companies, especially ones that have an implicit support for long term use of their products, not throwaway brakes like others. I’m less worried about outright performance than I am about reliability. Are hopes a good choice in that context?

Northwind

Less good than Formula in most of those respects, and they’d give you either a big price or a big performance bonus depending on which models you’re going for.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My hopes have been almost totally reliable – all bought secondhand and easily repaired when needed – blown 3 seals over the years but none for about 3 years now.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fan of Hope brakes here. They work excellently well. Any problems I have had have been pad contamination. New pads always result in fab braking performance, as good as my Shimano ones.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’m still using 2002/3 era M4s… on two dh bikes, so they must be reliable….. or I’ll die.

Never had a problem with them.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Xiphon, that looks amazing, totally industrial.

xiphon
    Free Member

@mansonsoul

The calipers come in two parts, back in the days when you changed half of the brake to suit the mount (Boxxer, IS) and rotor size.

Every 12-18 months (depending on use/spare time), I strip them, put the components through the dishwasher (pistons, caliper halves) and give them a service (replace internal seals), then re-bleed. Plenty of power on tap!

Now running 225mm front (with 6Ti caliper), as I got them both for a price I couldn’t refuse…

Del

brake rotors warp now?
    ok…
    🙄

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve decided to go with braided hoses, non floating rotors, and matchmaker clamps. Much awesomeness.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m straying dangerously close to buying a bike component that I have no need for simply because it’s awesome:

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Do I want floating rotors and braided hoses?’ is closed to new replies.