Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 545 total)
  • Do I want a pizza oven?
  • Drac

Tested a steak tonight.

Never using the hob again

trail_rat
    Free Member

50 mbar propane is the answer anything would be slow on a 30har

Even worse on butane

FB-ATB

Steak looks Om nom nom. Did it spit much whilst cooking?

Drac

You could say that.

grum
    Free Member

Looks good Drac. Dry brining steaks FTW though – https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/dry-brining-easier-and-less-wasteful-wet-brining

The Koda says it’s 37 mbar so more power than the Roccbox and less than half the price.

rogermoore

Drac – asparagus cooked the same way is amaze!
    RM.

Drac

Aged steak I wouldn’t brine it for hours before.

Yeah did an asparagus pizza the other week it was amazing. Unfortunately the season for British asparagus seems to be over now. 😥

twistedpencil

Managed to find a Koda, family is over the moon, though finding gas looks like the next challenge… Anyway, hopefully I’ll sort that tomorrow.

The Ooni website talks about an adapter for using smaller gas canisters, we’re planning on taking ours on holiday and smaller canisters would be preferable. Has anybody done this and know what I need to get?

Looking forward to cooking on the new toy 🙂

sadexpunk

long story but ive got a slight defect new Firepod pizza oven for sale if anyones desperate for one? one of these in purple, half price, so £200. itd have to be pick up only, lincoln area.

pizza oven

Drac

though finding gas looks like the next challenge… Anyway, hopefully I’ll sort that tomorrow.

Garages but look for smaller companies who supply campsites and such, it was £5 more me to get a 10kg Gaslight from an independent then a 5kg from Homebase.

sadexpunk

though finding gas looks like the next challenge

we went down the route of cheap empty bottles from facebook/local ads, and then paid for swapsies. nobody will sell you a bottle from scratch at present, calor wont allow it.

timmys

long story but ive got a slight defect new Firepod pizza oven for sale if anyones desperate for one? one of these in purple, half price, so £200. itd have to be pick up only, lincoln area.

I haven’t been following this thread so maybe it’s obvious to others, but if you are trying to flog something with a defect I would suggest you need to say what the defect is.

sadexpunk

I haven’t been following this thread so maybe it’s obvious to others, but if you are trying to flog something with a defect I would suggest you need to say what the defect is.

obviously would if someone was interested, was a bit half and half really wasnt it 😀 not really proactively selling, may keep it and have two, but as this thread popped up again and i know theres a ‘pizza oven shortage’ i thought id mention it. but anyway….. its a slightly troublesome door (have to wiggle it a bit to open and close), plus a slight gap around the back where the top and bottom dont seal properly, so a bit distorted. tested it with the gas bottle tho and it heats up fine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can you not send it back SEP? you’ve not had it long.

Drac

Gaslight stockists can be found here.

https://www.flogas.co.uk/stockists

They’re still selling gas.

sadexpunk

Can you not send it back SEP? you’ve not had it long.

he was a real good chap to deal with, sent us another (which im really happy with) and didnt want that one back, theyre too busy to deal with returns 🙂

so….. id split the gain with someone if they wanted to buy it, but im not too fussed either way. could keep it for spares, fettle it a bit to make fit better, or just have a leave it as it is and have a second oven.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They’re still selling gas.

I bet they are . Better burning 5ers to cook the pizza.

30 quid for 5 kg and 45 for 10 kg….. Calor is 28 quid for 13 kg

twistedpencil

Cheers for the tips re gas – ended up with a local place with loads in stock – Cheshire Gas, for those in the south Manchester region :-). Impromptu pizza session this evening. Amazing pizzas considering we were making it up as we went along, can’t wait to try a steak now…

theotherjonv

posted a while back but now a few have got theirs, don’t overlook the flammkeuchen – alsatian pizza. You don’t need to let the dough prove for ages, just mix up and rest for 20 mins (while you turn the Ooni on) and then get going. Traditional topping is fromage blanc, with bacon / lardons and thin sliced onion; add mushrooms for forestiere…… nom nom nom

Drac

No problem loads of independent ones all over. Yeah Gaslight costs more but doesn’t mean you have to buy it, it’s extreme light so great for what I wanted it for.

timidwheeler

So, two months after my original OP followed by me completely dismissing an ooni….

Ooni?

Have you seen how much those things cost? I’m not that middle class.

This is just the cleaning firing but the dough is going through the final prove for tonight’s pizza.

Cost of this thread so far:

Big blue flour tub as recommended by dickydutch -£15

Silicone rolling mat as recommended by DrP -£8

Ooni Karu – £250

Aldi pizza peel – £8

Hardwood logs 2x£6

Karu gas burner (on order) – £60

Ooni sizzle pan (on order) – £50

Karu carry case (on order) – £40

Gas bottle – tbc

Drac

😂

Don’t join the Ooni UK Facebook group your spending will get worse.

timidwheeler

Noted Drac.

Still…

It were gert lush. I need to work on my work flow a bit as the second one ended up a funny shape. And that one ^ cooked for slightly too long as Mr TW wasn’t ready with the erm.. camera.

Drac

Damn good first effort sir. I’ll warn you they’re very addictive steak is a must try they’re incredible.

timidwheeler

I want to roast some veg in it tonight but I’m struggling with what container to use. Most of my stuff is nonstick. Can I use a simple aluminium tray or does it get too hot?

Obviously my #isawyoucoming cast-iron griddle pan is on order so this is just a temporary solution.

grum
    Free Member

I bought a tenner sizzle pan/wood stand off eBay, couldn’t stomach the ooni price. Will report back how I get on with it. I have a gas tank now so I can crack on with it.

smudgey
    Free Member

What a load of nonsense, just cook a pizza in your usual oven and then take it out into the garden.LOL

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What a load of nonsense, just cook a pizza in your usual oven and then take it out into the garden.LOL

Masterchef has arrived!

timidwheeler

Fair enough. Which Happy Shopper frozen pizza would you recommend 😋

grum
    Free Member

Iceland do a microwave pizza for a quid, must be good.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-microwave-pizza-pepperoni-160g/77328.html

smudgey
    Free Member

Breaking News-You can make your own pizza from scratch and then place it in a standard oven and it will actually cook and be nice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, but you could also ride an Apollo round your local trails.

I’ve been making and cooking pizza in my standard oven for years, and fancy a proper pizza oven, surely that’s no hard to comprehend, is it?.

grum
    Free Member

smudgey I suspect you are just trolling but the point of these pizza ovens is really the temperature they can achieve.

Yes you can make really nice pizza in the normal oven but if you want to have a proper stab at making quality restaurant standard Neapolitan-style pizza that’s cooked in a minute or two you need something like this. Plus it’s fun, and can be used in the garden/the beach/trail centre car park etc

I’d also rather not leave the kitchen oven on full blast for ages in a vain attempt to get it hot enough, then make my kitchen into a sweatbox getting pizzas in and out etc

theotherjonv

You can also cook sausages in a frying pan, steaks under the grill, and chicken in the oven. Yet we love a barbecue because it’s way better and we get to play with fire and everything.

Pizza ovens rock. Kitchen oven pizza sucks in comparison.

Drac

Breaking News-You can make your own pizza from scratch and then place it in a standard oven and it will actually cook and be nice.

Yes you can I did for for many a year but now I have a pizza oven.  It’s also better for steaks too.

Gunz
    Free Member

Not being able to afford a proper pizza oven, I’ve been using the frying pan method and it’s really rather good.

https://www.pizzapilgrims.co.uk/2017/06/frying-pan-pizza/

jezzep

Hiya,

If you have a Chiminea I can tell you how to hack one to work as a pizza oven. It took a bit of hacking with fire bricks and a split half pizza stone but it works really well.

BR
    JeZ

smudgey
    Free Member

No not trolling, its just unbelievable that people spend 100s if not more for these pizza ovens. People shouldn’t be having a lot of pizzas anyway as they are not exactly healthy.
    I’d rather give my money to a food bank personally than buy one, then lots of other people could at least benefit.
    With bikes its different, you need something reasonable so that it doesnt break or be unsuitable to ride. Also hopefully it will benefit your health.

expendabar
    Free Member

Smudgey – not trolling, just a sanctimonious.

grum
    Free Member

No not trolling, its just unbelievable that people spend 100s if not more for these pizza ovens.

I’m sorry that you’re poor.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 545 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.