Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 545 total)
  • Do I want a pizza oven?
  • Drac

As it’s short prove time it accelerates the yeast. I think, I might miles off.

grum
    Free Member

I think that’s right Drac. I tend to use diastatic malt powder instead

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/diax-diastatic-malt-flour#tab-label-description

Drac

Yes, you can also use bicarbonate of soda.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grum
    Free Member

Probably everyone knows this already except me but I had a minor revelation. Watching TV the chef show with the guy from Pizzana I remembered he said to do the dough ‘bottom side up’.

From baking bread I assumed you would have the shiny top side of the dough ball at the top when stretching, but doing it the other way up works much better. It doesn’t stick anywhere near as much and rises better.

ugarizza
    Free Member

That looks really good Grum
    What temperature do you cook at?

grum
    Free Member

It was delicious! I aim to get the oven up to 450-500c then drop the heat down to near the lowest setting when the pizza goes in. Then I crank it back up again to full when I take it out, ready for the next pizza.

Drac

Looks spot on.

ugarizza
    Free Member

It does look spot on! Well done.
    If I could crank one of those out I’d be very happy. Mine are coming out the wrong side of charred at the moment.

grum
    Free Member

I was burning most of mine, although I actually quite like a decent amount of charring no one else in my family does and it can’t be very healthy.

I’m not sure what’s changed I think it’s just managing the temp and timing of the turning/distance towards the back of the oven. I think the tip from this thread somewhere of a little diluted tomato on the crusts might help too.

Having a turning peel is really handy once you get the knack also.

Drac

If I could crank one of those out I’d be very happy. Mine are coming out the wrong side of charred at the moment.

Keep the pizza away from the back, watch for the crust starting to rise at the back once it does and stops give a few more seconds then spin. You can also drop the burner, if gas, a little once the pizza is in until you’re a bit more use to full temperature cooking.

grum
    Free Member

Do you keep yours on full all the while Drac?

Drac

Sometimes yes but I’m trying to not do it as much only to preserve gas more then worrying about cooking. For tikka and steaks it’s left on full though.

sadexpunk

theyre not just for summer you know……

christmas dinner pizza in the sun today. thought the sprouts would work, but they were the only element i didnt think carried over too well. shame.

FB-ATB

Looks good- did you precook the sausages?
    We wanted to try Xmas pizza, but our son was insistent we had a proper Chrimbo meal. So the compromise is I’ll be firing up the oven tomorrow.

pyranha

We’ve had pizzas on Christmas Eve a few times (including this year), using our Uuni3. The problem I have is getting it up to temperature – no problem with 300+c usually, but when the outside temp drops to freezing, the Uuni struggles to get even to 250c. Means the bases aren’t the crisp, but still love the results. That’s on pellets, but I think it was the same on gas.

sadexpunk

Looks good- did you precook the sausages?

yep, everything was left over from christmas dinner the day before. i dont think id trust anything uncooked to be ok with just a quick blast in the pizza oven. plus i prefer PIB’s to be well done and a bit crispy anyway.

FB-ATB

Cheers, was going to keep the toppings to turkey, cranberry and stuffing but the pibs could be making an appearance!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Made a batch of naan in the koda16 last night, bloody hell they were good!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Any koda users finding the stone struggles to stay hot in the minus temps.

Pizzas coming out no where near as crisp on the bottom as I’d like despite heating – on a 50mB propane regulator

The stones not getting up to 450 no matter how long I wait.

Last few times I’ve cooked pizza it’s been -3/-5 plus wind chill.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone had trouble with a Roccbox?

Ours was fine for the first few months last summer. We had a break from using it and by then it had turned into a flamethrower. Gozney replaced the burner but the 2nd one has gone the same way – flames coming out the front of the oven when on the highest setting. 3rd burner is on its way

grum
    Free Member

Recipe pls NBITF!

Not tried mine recently trail rat but maybe you should try some more expensive gas 😜

cb

Having got a Koda just before Xmas (love the xmas dinner idea!!) how are people cooking their steaks? Just on the stone or have you bought the cast iron searer things?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I don’t fancy doing it on the stone….I suspect everything will.taste of steak

Didn’t buy their cast thing it’s mega bucks.

I use a Sainsbury’s le cruset knock off cast iron griddle that rusty Mac bought us for a wedding present . Top bloke.

Steaks are to die for . Properly crunchy on the outside but tender and rare on the inside.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Er, no, you’ll bugger the stone.

My local hardware shop sells cast iron skillets for about a tenner, just need seasoning, get one of those.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Recipe pls NBITF!

Grum, it was a late decision, so no time for a cold prove etc, just used this off BBC food, brushed with garlic and coriander butter when cooked.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/naan-bread

dufresneorama
    Free Member

The answer to the OP is obviously YES!

I built this over the first lockdown and used it many times since. It’s needing a door and a few tweeks but it was pretty cheap to build, and kind looks like a bothy!

It heats up pretty quick and holds heat well. I’m hoping to get a door made in the next few days which will be better for cooking with the day after and to keep the cat out! Flue could do with extending which should help draw, but considering, it’s not particularly smokey as it is.

I’ve got no pic of pizza unfortunately, but I’ll try to share the recipe I found online which has worked well for us.

grum
    Free Member

Cheers for the naan recipe will give it a go.

I got a cheap skillet off eBay for doing steaks. I have one of these hot plate thingies I’ve been meaning to try to do more steaks simultaneously but not got it here.

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/newprocook-reversible-griddle-46cm-x-26cm

shinton
    Free Member

Recently got my Ooni Koda 12 gas and seeing mixed messages on whether it will run off Butane instead of Propane. I already have 2 x Butane bottles for the gas BBQ so ideally I’d like to keep the clutter down by not having to get a Propane bottle.

Ooni support say -Ooni Koda has been designed for use with propane gas (patio gas) only.

But on amazon there are some dissenting voices:
    Q. Will it work with Butane?
    A1.Ooni Koda is certified for use with butane and will fire up with butane. The included regulator is for propane and so this would need to be swapped for a suitable butane regulator.
    A2.We would recommend you stick with propane in regards to the gas used.
    A3.I have been running mine on Butane from day 1 with no issues.

What say STW?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I swapped mine out to Propane (well, patio gas)

trail_rat
    Free Member

butane gives a cooler temperature it also doesnt work in low temperatures – anything below -1 forget it the gas stops boiling. the butane regulator pressure is 28mbar – butane standard is 37 and you can get a 50mbar propane regulator.

itll work on butane but it wont be great

butane in air burns at 1970 , propane in air is 1980c but there is more of it to burn as its supplied at higher pressure.

grum
    Free Member

I was gonna mention actually, I used mine (with propane) the other day and had no issues getting it up to temp quickly in around 2c degrees outside temp.

mahalo

Mrs M gave me an IOU for one at christmas – my Karu 12 has just turned up!!

now we al desperately want pizzas for tea

unfortunately we have no fuel, or any ingredients – ingredients we can get but it didnt come with the gas burner attachment so can you please advise where to buy the wood pellets off the shelf??

any new starter tip very welcome!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My own experience, go gas ASAP, wood is just a complete faff.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Where are you @manalo? If you’re near Congleton I can lend you a propane cylinder to try it out….

Edit: I only nipped in to have a quick peruse….we’re living in our motorhome for the foreseeable and I’m thinking that a pizza oven would be a cool way to get some cooking done outside of our tiny kitchen once in a while. Eventually it would live in the garden of the barn conversion we’re doing.

The thread is a little hefty now though. So what is the ‘drac’s iPad’ of the Pizza Oven world? Probably a gas one as we’ve got a fair few canisters knocking around and the gf burns enough wood as it is!

mahalo

appreciate that but not near enough… its the attachment we need, not the cylinder. they’re an extra £70!! but no stock anywhere. my mate has one but they’re rona’d up at the moment so wont trouble them…

will just use normal wood today, got some hardwood logs i can smash up. hadnt realsied you could do that – thought it was those pellets only…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So what is the ‘drac’s iPad’ of the Pizza Oven world? Probably a gas one as we’ve got a fair few canisters knocking around and the gf burns enough wood as it is!

Koda 16

toby1

@mahalo
    If you have some charcoal I’d recommend starting with this, it’s easier to get going than wood, then once the oven is heated up bung some wood in BUT leave it 5 or so minutes till the wood is all black to start cooking as otherwise the spike in temperature is a bit too much and you end up with burnt offerings.

It takes 30-40 mins burn time to get mine to temperature starting with charcoal and using kindling later in the burn. Also, the wood wool lighters mean you just light them then have a reliable fire 10 minutes later.

Gas is maybe more convenient, but you you get no extra points for convenience 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

I already have 2 x Butane bottles for the gas BBQ so ideally I’d like to keep the clutter down by not having to get a Propane bottle.

Only just seen this.
    I’ve run our Ooni (v2) on both and not had an issue. The Butane was used in the summer though so the outside temperature thing may be an issue.
    Its in the barn connected to a massive propane bottle witha 37mbar regulator at the moment and running like a champ.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gas is maybe more convenient, but you you get no extra points for convenience 😉

And you get them for waiting 40 mins for usable heat ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gas is maybe more convenient, but you you get no extra points for convenience

I’m not making extra points, I’m making Pizza.

There is absolutely no advantage to wood for cooking pizza, save maybe if you get your wood free, but even at that, gas is pennies per pizza.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 545 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.