Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Do I want a Castelli Perfetto?
  • geomickb
    Free Member

Do I want one of these:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-perfetto-ros-convertible-jacket/

Seems like a lot of cash but I want something for winter road rides.

Mick

llama

I’ve got the non convertible one. They are not super warm so you need to layer underneath when cold. Great for changeable weather. If it rains heavy for more than 20 mins you get wet. But then you dry out quite quick. Really good fit, feels odd standing up but when on the bike feels right. No zip pocket is annoying.

ahsat

I picked up a women’s non convertible one for £85 before Christmas. Done a cross and road ride in it and super impressed. Worn a thick long sleeved jersey underneath and perfect temperature at about 5C with great breathablity. I’m very impressed so far, so much so I’m sat here in a pair of their Meno windproof tights with it, that just arrived.

claudie

For uk weather, it’s a brilliant jacket. Good down to 5c with a thin base layer, super breathable, good in rain. You can stop worrying about the weather and what to wear. I’ve got the non convertible one and you can pick them up for £100. My only criticism is they are a bit logo heavy, I prefer the endura fs260 but don’t know if it performs aswell

slowoldman

I have short sleeve and long sleeve Perfettos, long sleeve Gabba and Gabba vest. All brilliant bits of kit. I’m sort of tempted by a convertible but I don’t tend to add or remove sleeves/arm warmers during a ride.

scaredypants

They’re very good, as are the endura fs260 “classics” (a little thinner, I’d say) and the pactimo storm+ (maybe my favourite of the 3). Wait for a sale price on any of these and you’ll be happy

If I was doing 4hr+ days on the bike in pissing rain I’d look at a something like a castelli alpha or a hardshell rainjacket (might get something this summer) but I don’t so I’m happy with these for my commutes or 2-3hr rides

13thfloormonk

They confuse me too! For my winter weekend rides (3hrs plus) when I’m generally going steady, I currently layer up with a softshell windproof and a hardshell rolled up in back pocket.

What happens if you get caught in a proper filthy 20 minute downpour? Do you get chilled as the jacket dries out?

Is the waterproofing basically just a DWR coating, or is it inherent to the material?

I’m erring towards just saving my pennies and getting a Shakedry…

tlr

For me the Gabba and Perfetto stuff works well on cool autumn and spring days but there isn’t enough warmth for winter. And if you sweat a bit then cool down in a cafe or fixing a puncture they aren’t great.

In the winter I think the Castelli Transition is better and I carry a Gore-Tex Shakedry for if it rains.

footflaps

Odd the sleeves zip off so low, hardly makes it worth the effort. Plus only two pockets!

Is the waterproofing basically just a DWR coating, or is it inherent to the material?

Infiniun fabric isn’t waterproof, so you will get wet eventually if the rain is continuous.

avdave2

I’ve got a Lusso aqua repel jacket which does a similar thing and is a great bit of kit. However I can’t think of any conditions where being able to remove the lower arms would be an advantage to me, if it’s cold enough for the jacket it’s cols enough for long sleeves. I’d save money and go for a non convertible version.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’re very good, as are the endura fs260 “classics” (a little thinner, I’d say) and the pactimo storm+ (maybe my favourite of the 3). Wait for a sale price on any of these and you’ll be happy

I was going to recommend the non convertible jetstream, it’s my go-to winter riding top with either a SS lycra baselayer (>6C) or LS merino baselayer (<0C) and a showerproof gilet over the top.

Do you get chilled as the jacket dries out?

Yup, although being DWR and windproof with a fleece lining the inside never really get’s more than a bit wet, and doesn’t cling to your skin. I find that with a showerpoof gilet I’m comfortable enough on night rides this time of year in anything short of proper rain.

Unlike Lycra which soaks up moisture, get’s sodden then clings and makes you shiver even in summer.

I’d buy a gore shakedry if i could afford one, but I can’t.

TiRed

You don’t want the convertible one. But they are very good. Get the long sleeved version and wear with a base layer. I like a long sleeved base layer as they can be cold on the arms on a chilly day.

I ride with our club kit version. Was out for eight hours yesterday, but I did add a gilet for a bit more insulation. I often don’t.

BadlyWiredDog

The fabric’s basically Gore Windstopper, so it is actually effectively waterproof, but mostly the seams aren’t taped, so in sustained rain, the jacket will leak from unprotected seams – inside of sleeves etc – and through the vented panels under the armpits.

Waterproof Gore-Tex fabrics use basically the same EPTFE membrane, but with a very thin PU layer on the inner surfce to stop contamination from body fluids, sun cream etc, and have fully-taped seams.

The whole Infinium thing is a classic bit of confusing Gore branding, but basically the stuff is Windstopper.

geomickb
    Free Member

Convertible one is currently cheaper than non on Wiggle. (In the ROS version).

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Short and long sleeve gabba jackets (which became the perfetto) are my go to jacket from October until March. With a variety of thickness base layers, arm warmers and/or a gillet gets me through daily rides in all winter weather.

Probably the best piece of cycling kit ever designed IMO.

Haze

As above, long sleeve version with a long sleeve merino base layer seems to work well for me…any colder and it’s likely to be too risky/icy for road rides anyway.

But yeah you could sling a vest over if you need a little extra insulation, may try that myself as I have the gilet version also.

geomickb
    Free Member

What size do I want? Tried a medium and it was to tiny. I’m medium in everything usually. Should I try L?

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the endura version in large that I’ve only worn once and was thinking of selling, ping me a message if that might be of interest.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Seconding some of the above, I’ve got the non-convertible one. I had it on today in about 6 degrees of Scottish weather over 30 miles, in fact.

Its ok, but just ok. For todays riding, I had a good merino base layer underneath, and a Gore One Rescue over the top. Its not that warm; I think my Gabba is definitely warmer overall.

footflaps

What size do I want? Tried a medium and it was to tiny. I’m medium in everything usually. Should I try L?

Castelli has Italian sizing, which is stupidly small. Order L & XL from Wiggle and just return the other one. I’m M in everything except Italian Cycling clothing where I can be anywhere from L to XXL. No idea who would actually fit a small, I assume an underweight new born might at a stretch.

whytetrash

I got a short sleeve gabba and nanoflex arm warmers…. probably taken the arms off on 3 occasions in 3 years… on 4/5 hr rides when it’s cold and wet initially but then sun comes out… I’d go for long sleeves next time. With different base layers its capable of coping with a range of temps… brilliant bit of kit😊

slowoldman

What size do I want?

It’s an odd one this with Castelli. Generally speaking folk say size up. However I take small in everything including Castelli. Having said that I am pretty much skin and bone.

w00dster

I’m not a fan for winter. It’s not a warm jacket, you can’t really layer over it as it’s boil in the bag territory. I’ve got a Gabba and a Perfetto.
    Great for spring when it’s getting warmer. It’s not waterproof or warm. But great for windy and damp days as opposed to cold and wet days. My Gabba gapes at the neck so needs a buff with it.
    (I’m a small…..)

Superficial
    Free Member

I think they’re really great. I have a perfetto (long sleeve Gabba) which I wear pretty much all the time on the road in winter.

I tend to get quite hot when riding (relative to others) so with a Gabba + long sleeve base layer I’m rarely too cold. I can see how some might not find it warm enough on sub zero rides though – especially with slow pace and or cafe stops.

Mine has also lasted incredibly well. I must have done 50+ rides in mine and it looks brand new.

I’m usually a medium in t shirts etc, my large Gabba is snug in the right sort of way; I wouldn’t want it any tighter though.

stevious

I’ve got one of the original Gabbas from years ago. It doesn’t get used much now for the following reasons:
    – it’s short-sleeve and I nor have long sleeve alternatives. Can’t remember once using it without warmers
    – most of my winter riding is very low intensity now so it’s a bit chilly
    – the fabric is quite stiff which makes the fit a bit weird on me

Dunno if the newer ones have a better fabric (probably, mines older than Mattheu van der Poel) but I’d suggest trying a couple of sizes to see how they fit for you.

geomickb
    Free Member

Convertible is £157:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Castelli/Perfetto-RoS-Convertible-Jacket/NEAI

Long sleeved is £190.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Castelli/Perfetto-RoS-Long-Sleeve-Jersey/NE4X

Surely, based on this, I should be going for the convertible?

Cheers,

Mick

stevious

Surely, based on this, I should be going for the convertible?

You may be right, the only note of caution being that the armpit zips could be a bit annoying.

On a side note, they look much nicer than they used to. Shrinking down the scorpion logo was a good idea.

GHill

I got a long sleeved from Evans for £104.

plus-one

Yes perfettos are great(long sleeve) ridden with it in tipping rain(riding hard though) its great bit of kit. If just out pootling in rain you will get cold.

butcher

I think I must just be a warm rider. Normally wear a fleece-lined jersey and baselayer throughout winter, and I might double up on the baselayers if temps drop to freezing and beyond. Anything more than that I sweat (and I’m not a big sweater) which leads into quite a dramatic drop in body temp the second you stop for any period of time. So my main aim in the cold, aside from keeping warm, is keeping bone dry. And whilst the Perfetto sounds perfect on paper (and seems very popular) in theory it goes against that principle of keeping dry. But then I’m surprised to see people describe it as cold, so maybe that’s just me?

bluebird
    Free Member

I have the none convertible version. Best winter road jacket I own. Wind proof, not completely but reasonably water proof. I add/remove a warmer layer underneath depending on how hard I’m planning to ride.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m surprised to see people describe it as cold, so maybe that’s just me?

It’s ‘cold’ in the sense that it has no air-trapping insulation to speak of, so while it reduces windchill, if you’re not generating a lot of heat/it’s sub-zero out, it won’t trap much warm air close to the body. I reckon something like a Polartec Alpha gilet worn under a Perfetto would work well, if you wanted some added insulation. Tried that under a Rab VR Alpine on the mountain bike and it worked well.

Fwiw, the missus has one which she wears for the occasional cold weather commute and hates the venting panels under the armpits on cold mornings, then again if you’re warm blooded and riding hard, those and the zipped torso vents (same as on the old Gabba) would be handy.

For an all-in-one cold weather solution, something with an Alpha lining as per the expensive Rapha thing or DHB alternative would be my choice, but then it’s going to be less versatile when it’s not super cold. All of this depends on how hot or cold you run too.

geomickb
    Free Member

I have an Alpha gilet, and a Rab Alpine VR which is used when MTBing. What I want now is something bright with a roadie fit.

I did get a Perfetto for Xmas but it is too small, I’m just considering options before exchanging it.

Mick

slowoldman

I must admit that when it’s cold I wear a merino base layer under a perfetto and a gabba vest over the top. Did I mention I’m slow and old and skin and bone?

footflaps

Did I mention I’m slow and old and skin and bone?

I am gob smacked you can fit into a small, I can’t even get one over my shoulders and I’m not a big build by any means!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Do I want a Castelli Perfetto?’ is closed to new replies.