Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Do I really need a 7inch tablet?
  • Kryton57

Just an expensive toy, isn’t it?

nwgiles

Are they the blue ones?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the price makes them hard to swallow 😉

piemonster

For a moment there I miss read tablet

Jamie
    Free Member

For a moment there I miss read tablet

As?

bearnecessities

Penis.

Kryton57

Wow. Real to surreal in 5 posts. Well, thanks for the advice…

Haha, made me laugh. But then I’m childish like that

Kryton57

I’m going to get some cheese from the fridge, I’ll see if things have improved, later.

bearnecessities

Real to surreal in 5 posts

Pfft, can do better than that.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6D9vAItORgE[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[img]http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/g0GxUxKZdHk/hqdefault.jpg[/img]

Jamie
    Free Member

Wow. Real to surreal in 5 posts. Well, thanks for the advice…

If you want cheap and cheerful, just get a Tesco Hudl for £100-ish.

….saying that, if you can afford Lord Darcy, then you can probably afford something better like an iPad Mini Retina, or one of the more high end Android tablets. They seem to hold their value quite well, so you can always offload it at a later date, and not lose to much, if you decide it’s too frivolous.

As for the 7″ toy penis, I can’t help with that.

Edit: If you are buying one to read on, just get a Kindle Paperwhite.

mu3266
    Free Member

Toy for the most part, however I have both a well specc’d gaming laptop & the new Nexus 7.

I tend to use the laptop when Im in the house, as its handy having that extra umpfh and screen size.

When I go mobile, I will take the tablet as it’s got plenty of books on there to read, games & films. I also have purchased a micro-usb to (female)USB to plug in an external hard drive (1TB) so I’m walking around with a miniture media centre when out and about.

I’d say go for it if you have the cash laying around, but don’t stretch yourself for it as its more an entertainment gadget at the end of the day.

tor5
    Free Member

Yes. Way more portable, potentially usable one handed, and just better. If only it was 7.5 then I could say it brings the commute alive

john_drummer
    Free Member

Do I really need a 7inch tablet?

no

next question

Jamie
    Free Member

no

next question

Should I shave, or continue to grow a beard?

mikey74
    Free Member

I bought a 10 inch tablet a while and after about a year I ended up going back to a laptop. This was mainly because I got fed up with Android apps and various compatibility issues. Having said that, tablets are a very good concept and I am sure they have improved.

I do still use my tablet, but mainly on holiday – they are excellent for loading movies or concert footage on for long-haul flights. They are also great for surfing, picking up e-mails etc. However, you need to treat them differently to a laptop to get the full advantages i.e. leave it on all the time so accessing stuff is easy and quick. Plus the battery life is, on the whole, far better than a laptop.

As for models? The Google Nexus 7 is supposed to be the best out there.

Apologies for the random stream of consciousness, but the VaTs may have taken over.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m going to get some cheese from the fridge, I’ll see if things have improved, later.

It’s been 11 hours. Should someone go check he’s ok?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did he get a 7″ piece of celery to go with it?

Kryton57

Ho hum. I spent the evening with cheese borrowing a works iPad mini to surf. It’s quite useful, and less squinty than using an iPhone but could I justify £319 for it?

I think not. Or maybe. Hmmm

mark90
    Free Member

It’s a lot easier to justifty circa £100 for a decent 7″ Android tablet.

My nexus 7 gets more use than I thought it would. Sofa / bed surfing, e-mail, reading (kindle or Google books). The instant on access, battery life and portability make it the go to device for quick easy ‘comsumer’ tasks, ie the stuff tablets are designed for. If I want / need to actually ‘do’ something then the laptop comes out. It’s certainly not a laptop replacement, but fills a good gap between phone and laptop in my gadget spectrum. I don’t need one but if I lost or broke mine I’d replace it.

Pembo
    Free Member

Times and Sunday times are throwing in a ‘free’ nexus 7 if you sign up for 18 months subscription. Total cost is £299 , but I’m not sure if the 7 is the old or new model.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have desktops at home and work and just used an iPod touch when mobile. now I have a nexus 7and it fits the bill perfectly. I have a £10 from eBay wireless keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse and with Google Drive can do all the writing I actually need to do on the move for a fraction of the weight of a laptop.
    I still need the Touch as I think it looks a bit lame using a tablet for tunes.

rp16v
    Free Member

Got my tesco hudle about 2 months ago and its really helped with not having to have the laptop set up all the time with power cables everywhere

thecaptain
    Free Member

potentially usable one handed

I can see that being an important feature for many users.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I was going to say that, Pembo. Obviously not for everyone for obvious reasons, but I was getting the missus a Nexus 7 for Xmas anyway so went for that deal. It is definitely the new tablet. Decent bargain, IMO.

ampthill

We have one siting unused in this house. It seems to fall between the phone and laptop. my son is always on his phone, ipod or fixed pc. my daughter scoops up the laptop as soon as its put down

I might use it but my 5.5 inch phone is really so close and I’ve got the option to text, use 3G and call people. For a PC i much prefer full size

toby1

It’s a tough call, I very much doubt I NEED the nexus 7, but for using in the office to keep an eye on email it can’t be beaten, it also means my phone and iPad are not bothered with my work email. It also is far far lighter than an iPad, so easier to use for the kindle app. Essentially it’s always going to be a want not a need, they are decent, just not essential in my view.

Pembo
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member

I was going to say that, Pembo. Obviously not for everyone for obvious reasons, but I was getting the missus a Nexus 7 for Xmas anyway so went for that deal. It is definitely the new tablet. Decent bargain, IMO.

Thanks for confirming that, might be tempted now. The pay monthly contract is £17.33 a month so if you pay for 18 months up front you do actually get the Nexus for free.

Kryton57

Arse. I’m starting to be convinced that I need one.

seavers
    Free Member

If you don’t have a tablet but have a laptop and/or a desktop I reckon there is a place for one. Yes, a toy for the main part but it depends on how much you use it.

I was pretty anti tablet for a while, OK laptop and desktop work perfectly. Then I took the plunge and bought one. I was surprised by how much I use it. Mainly emails, web, iPlayer and streaming movies from my NAS. Great for train journeys, nice to have on hand on the go. Also nice not to have to fire up my Laptop/PC when I just want to do a quick email check. They are a luxury and not a necessity (tech wise). I currently have an iPad but if I wasn’t so locked into the Apple world a Nexus 7 would get my money.

theflatboy
    Free Member

just to add further fuel to the Times/Nexus fire, the tablet I referred to above arrived today and is resplendent in its box ready for Xmas. Definitely the new one, I’m now very jealous of the wife in advance of getting to own it.

flyingmonkeycorps

If you want to dip your toe in the metaphorical water then this looks like a reet bargain. Similar spec to the old Nexus 7, “open” Android and it’s currently £70 with the cashback offer. I keep being tempted, but I have an old Galaxy Tab that does the job. Ish.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Have got an iPad at home. Barely ever use it. Just seems to take so much longer to surf and do things than on a laptop.

It is an iPad 1 so that could have something to do with actual performance speed, I just find that a laptop is loads easier with all the keyboard shortcuts and bigger screen.

prawny

bearnecessities – Member
    Penis.

Well now I look mental, and it’s going to be hard to blag that I’ve had a hilariously funny email about insurance 😆

prawny

My 2 penneth – 8(ish)inch ones are better, the squarer form is better for browsing than the widescreen 7 inch ones and they’re a lot lighter than the 10inchers.

I would say, being the owner of an iPad 3, 7 inch android tablet (now sold) and an iPad mini that the mini is the best of the lot all round. I might swap it for a retina one one day, but the original is pretty damn good.

That said, I’d be tempted to try out a Note 8.0 first.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Do I really need a 7inch tablet?’ is closed to new replies.