Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Do I really need 5727 calories a day to maintain my ample weight ?
  • benslow
    Free Member

According to an American health website I need 5727 calories a day to maintain my weight ?

I entered my 18 stone weight and ticked the box that said :

” Heavy Activity: Activities of daily living, plus moderate exercise or vigorous exercise (jogging, running, swimming, singles tennis, soccer, basketball, digging, carpentry) most days of the week.”

I jog 12 miles a week and bike commute 32 a week as well as bigger rides.

I thought I’d have to keep below 2500 as the oft mentioned figure but 5727 just sounds wrong and ridiculous ?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Are you having a laugh? I wouldn’t consider running 12 miles a week and cycling 32 ‘heavy activity, figures are way out even for heavy activity daily.

Realistic target is probably under 2500.

binners

The Americans have a completely wierd attitude to calories, and food generally

Remember that under Dubya, these

were reclassified as a vegetable so they could count towards your 5 a day. 😯

The more cynical amongst us may insinuate that government policy was being written by the fast food companies, who may possibly have a vested interest in seeing people inflate to the size of barrage balloons

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Link to the site?

benslow
    Free Member

I wouldn’t classify what I do as heavy activity but the one below called Moderate activity included GOLF 😯

Anyhow, thought it was wrong but was secretly hoping this losing weight lark was going to be easier than expected … 🙄

Heres the link – CALS

deadslow

It’s actually a very clever ploy to solve the pension crisis.
    Lots of calories consumed = lots of tax dollars into pension pot
    Lots of calories consumed = very fat americans
    Very fat americans = lowering life expectancy
    Lower life expectancy = less pension to pay out
    Simples

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You’re trying to maintain 18 stone??

I was give 4300. Probably about right.

benslow
    Free Member

Nope – want to shift a load of it for the summer.

Just quoting website that said I’d need 5727 to maintain current levels.

I’ll stick with the 2500.

(shame though ……..)

Gary_M
    Free Member

When entering activity I always find it best to err on the side of less calories used rather than more.

If you really want to shift a load by summer then you need to get your calories down and/or your activity up.

Even eating 2500 calories and doing the amount of excercise you’re doing you won’t shift a lot in 3 months.

Try this site instead MyFitnessPal

binners

If Americans regard that as heavy activity, and those are the calories you need to facilitate such activity, then there’s no mystery as to why plenty of them look like ….

If I was looking for advice on calorie intake, I wouldn’t be looking to the good ‘ol US of A for it.

Perhaps you could try some Greek government sites for advice on balancing the household budget 😉

benslow
    Free Member

😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Fit!

allthepies
    Free Member

So many folds to explore 🙂

lunge

2nd myfitnesspal. I’m 16stone ish and do a moderate amount of exercise in a sedative (desk based) job. I need about 2500 to maintain but am trying to use about 2100 to loose some. You can input your exercise so you can have a beer or 2 guilt free after a ride as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyhow, thought it was wrong but was secretly hoping this losing weight lark was going to be easier than expected

iDiet – job done.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molly – are you sticking to the iDiet then?

Gary_M
    Free Member

iDiet – job done.

Other weight loss/eating plans do exist. 7.5kg lost since january using myfitnesspal, now down to a svelte 66.3kg. I can now ride up hills very fast.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Do I really need 5727 calories a day to maintain my ample weight ?’ is closed to new replies.