• This topic has 136 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by timmys.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Do I need to wear a suit for an interview?
  • nickc

I think it depends on too many things.

1. How the organisation sees itself

2. How the organisation sees and treats it’s employees

3. The impression you think is needed. (is this a tick box, who’re the other applicants)

4. The type of role you’re applying for. (what sort of seniority it is, are you being recruited for your knowledge, or your experience etc)

5. Who approached who, and what the expectations following the interview are (Is it a formality, or are you some Joe off the street, how well do you know each other)

6. industry norms.

TBH, on a basic level, what the weather is doing on the particular day is moot. They may suggest that you remove a tie, or you could ask, it may or may not have any impact, or all the difference. Who knows.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I went to an interview a couple of weeks back on a hot day, in a hotter room.

When I got in there, the bloke had taken his jacket and tie off, and the 2 women were fairly dressed down.

At that point I just asked if they minded if I took my jacket and tie off given the heat. They said they didnt mind…. didnt get the job though lol

Cougar

You’d think that by now society would have reached a point where we can all admit that suits and ties are uncomfortable, impractical and, essentially, a dick swinging contest, and just wear something appropriate for the task at hand. If I didn’t get a job because I didn’t wear a suit, it’s probably not a job I’d want.

I was going to say similar and bit my tongue, so I’m glad someone else did.

Interviews aside, it’s just bloody silly in this day and age. “It’s 30′ outside, best put my coat on.” They’re uncomfortable, impractical, and we really shouldn’t be in a place where (say) a politician wearing an open-necked shirt is considered rebellious or edgy. They’re a legacy of the class system and of the patriarchy, both of which can get in the sea. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of our upper tiers of Manglement wear a tie in forever, up to and including the CEO. It’s just unnecessary.

Yet, it does still persist in interviews. I’d probably wear a suit to one just because I feel obliged, like I have to demonstrate that I’ve made an effort. But this is 30-year old wisdom, does it still apply? It shouldn’t, but it probably does (doubly so with “manager” and “London” in the same sentence I expect). The reaction really should be, “Did you see that bloody idiot today? Hottest day of the year and he strolled in wearing a jacket, with his shirt collar nipped up airtight! I was sweating just looking at him!” But, eh, here we are I guess.

As above; I reckon I’d chance my arm in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt, open with “I apologise for my attire, normally I’d wear a formal suit to an interview but it’s stupidly hot out there and sweating profusely is not a good look.” If I didn’t get the job based purely on that, I doubt it’s somewhere I’d want to work anyway.

nickc

essentially, a dick swinging contest,

It’s been said before, but the reality is that the 2 piece suits is so that it’s not a dick swinging contest. that’s the whole point of the thing, that’s why the idiom “the men in grey suits” exists, and not “The men in gold threaded doublet with pearl button detail, hand sewn edging and lace trim…” At least we’re not forced (yet at least) into the US business wear of white polo shirt and Khaki* chinos, so beloved of Silicon Valley and the Alt-right…

*pronounced to rhyme with tacky, the idiots.

a short-sleeved shirt

No, for the love of God, no.

finbar
    Free Member

I was on an interview panel via Teams last week, so I wore a bus driver (i.e. short sleeved) shirt – plus tie – but angled the camera so no-one could see my bare arms. Score!

zippykona

Brothers ,we must fight male dress code oppression.
    It’s just completely **** stupid.

neilnevill
    Free Member

To the op and others when interviews, best of luck!

lunge

a short-sleeved shirt

Unless you’re interviewing to be a bus driver or to fix photocopiers for the love of God, no.

To be fair, this is only for an interview. I’m sat working today in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

desperatebicycle

I wore a suit on a really bloody hot day a few years back. To a job interview at Wiggle. The interviewer was wearing shorts and a Star Wars t-shirt.

nickc

I’m not really a fan of suits, but TBH, I’ve been in offices where there’s no dress policy either and frankly it’s worse. Men, and the subset of men that have shall we say; a better working relationship with machines than people, are really really bad at decoding what’s suitable for working alongside other people.

At the very least, suits take away the tyranny of decision making, and mean that I won’t have to have a conversation with people about why sandals/stained beach-shorts/tee-shirts with the words “**** Da Police” on them, are not (repeat, underlined, not) suitable choices of business attire

desperatebicycle

a short-sleeved shirt

Unless you’re interviewing to be a bus driver or to fix photocopiers for the love of God, no.

Odd. If I did you wouldn’t see me and nobody I know or have ever known actually gives a shit what other people wear at work, so yeah… odd

johnx2
    Free Member

I love a stw “what should I wear” thread. A threads thread if you will… (Shoot me.)

Research Institute?

Assuming you’re comfortable wearing suits, then ightweight summer suit, white shirt, no tie. Definitely no tie. Only Mog, Johnson and Trump wear ties these days. The coffin lid needs nailing down. (Shame in a way as I’ve some nice ones.)

As someone who still wears suits now and again for the most formal work things, I think things have swung to the point that it looks a bit odd to see someone wearing a tie with one.

IdleJon

Weird how even I’m these globally warmed days it’s hard to find light smart clothes, and don’t even mention linen.

That’s because we live closer to the North Pole than to the tropics, and it’s only properly warm for about 3 weeks a year. I drove home from work 2 weeks ago with the thermometer telling me that it was 14 degrees as I shivered in T-shirt and shorts. I have given myself hypothermia trying to celebrate my birthday sitting outside a cafe in August! Give it a week or two and normal service will resume and we’ll be able to wear our hats and scarves again and forget this ridiculous talk of lightweight suits. 😀

Cougar

No, for the love of God, no.

Yet shorts at an interview is OK? Weird. What would you suggest instead, tie and dress shirt, Bermuda shorts and flip-flops? It’d probably look fine once you’d sat down. Dress code: Microsoft Teams.

My point, which you’ve (both) just reinforced, was “bollocks to convention.” A short-sleeved shirt is viewed as a poor choice for an interview but why? It’s a sensible choice in this heat even if you’re not going to win any fashion awards. I’d prefer to turn up comfortable and relaxed, rather than trussed up, wet through and smelling like a high-school gym locker room.

johnjn2000

I was going to say similar and bit my tongue, so I’m glad someone else did.

Interviews aside, it’s just bloody silly in this day and age. “It’s 30′ outside, best put my coat on.” They’re uncomfortable, impractical, and we really shouldn’t be in a place where (say) a politician wearing an open-necked shirt is considered rebellious or edgy. They’re a legacy of the class system and of the patriarchy, both of which can get in the sea. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of our upper tiers of Manglement wear a tie in forever, up to and including the CEO. It’s just unnecessary.

This – But I would wear a suit and sweat my balls off just in case.

lunge

My point, which you’ve (both) just reinforced, was “bollocks to convention.”

Depends if you want the job or not. No harm in fighting against convention, you’ve just got to decide if you mind that the fight might cost you a job.
    Should it cost you a job? Of course not. But it might, so depends if that’s a risk/fight you want to take.
    There’s no way I’d ever wear a short sleeve shirt in the sector I work as I know certain people would look down on it. The same applies if wearing a tie and no jacket, just not the done thing. Suit and no tie would be fine though.

nickc

A short-sleeved shirt is viewed as a poor choice for an interview but why?

Because short sleeved is casual, not formal, and casual shirts ought not to be tucked in. Suits are by their nature formal wear. You see where this madness ends?

Dogs and Cats living together…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My current boss congratulated me on being the only one they interviewed to wear a tie on what was the hottest day of the year.

luketracey

For my current Job I had a phone interview, yes phone, not teams, not skype, not zoom. I double checked and yes it was a phone interview.

I still wore a suit!

Because that’s what you wear for an interview, I did rebel a bit and have short sleeves underneath the jacket

funkmasterp

Eh! You wore a suit for a telephone interview? That’s just, nope, can’t even think of a descriptive term for that. I hate long sleeved clothing in general, too restrictive and just end up rolling the sleeves up. Suits can **** off.

willard

That’s next level. I mean, I wore a shirt and tie for a Teams interview when I was in the US and the interviewers were in the UK.

Ok, it was shorts, shirt and tie, but they did not need to know that and it was 5am my time and I was jetlagged beyond belief, so only to be expected really.

bfw

Most companies or recruiters will tell you if its a no suit situation, baring this I would go suited as you will not piss anyone off this way. if there is a second you might have a feel for the place then

shermer75
    Free Member

I still wore a suit!

Amazing!

Shirley a linen mankini would be the nest compromise – just don’t forget the bowtie

tjagain

Never ever wear a suit without a tie unless you are wearing a t shirt and auditioning for Miami vice. It looks sloppy.

For an interview always a suit and tie.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Jacket no tie. If they don’t offer the job because you didn’t wear a tie that’s a bullet dodged.

Cougar

Depends if you want the job or not.

If they’re going to judge me for not wearing a business suit in the middle of a heatwave then no, I don’t want it. Dodged a bullet there.

Might be different as a manager in London, but the only time you’ll catch a hacker in a suit is during a physical penetration scenario.

Because short sleeved is casual, not formal, and casual shirts ought not to be tucked in. Suits are by their nature formal wear. You see where this madness ends?

By being employed on merit rather than how expensive your clothing is?

tjagain

I cannot believe you bunch of slobs! Jacket no tie? Slovenly

Put it this way. If Clarkson wears it the do not copy him

See also sports jacket and jeans. Untucked shirts. Brown shoes unless brogues and the job is on a farm

Its not difficult

tjagain

If you don’t want to wear a tie a cravat may be acceptable

boriselbrus
    Free Member

There’s no way I’d ever wear a short sleeve shirt in the sector I work as I know certain people would look down on it.

I would look down on anyone that looked down on someone wearing a short sleeve shirt. Do I win?

tjagain

As for short sleeved shirts. Only if you have a breast pocket full of pens to identify you as a neurodivergent nerd.

Ffs guys.

jimdubleyou

Grandad TJ strikes again!

Ties are exceptionally rare in my line of work (usually older senior managers or wannabes), unless you’re visiting clients in which case a suit and tie is expected (banking / finance).

I work in IT, it was suits no tie for a while before covid but now it’s just whatever you fancy, bosses are just happy you’ve come to the office!

frankconway

Check out cost of bespoke shorts, short sleeved shirt, hand made crocodile skin belt.
    You could get 10, or more, of Moss Bros or M&S ‘finest’ sartorial efforts for the same outlay- but why would you for clothes that only fit where they touch, don’t hold their shape and are made from cheap fabrics.
    It’s for the interviewing company to determine appropriate standards; if an interviewee has a problem they should go elsewhere.

funkmasterp

If you don’t want to wear a tie a cravat may be acceptable

Just checking, are you posting from the past? It’s 2022 FFS. Idiotic dress standards need to die. Cravats are for old, eccentric men who get cold necks. Hang on…

You could get 10, or more, of Moss Bros or M&S ‘finest’ sartorial efforts for the same outlay- but why would you for clothes that only fit where they touch, don’t hold their shape and are made from cheap fabrics.

Sounds great for the one instance every few years when I’ll need to wear a formal shirt for interview, death, wedding etc.

tjagain

You either have style or you dont.

Being a sloppy dressed dork is not style

funkmasterp

Wearing a suit is the opposite of style. It’s following a dress code. Also I’ve seen you give thumbs up to chinos and polo shirts on previous threads. You should stop posting now before you get in too deep. Plus kicking dogs is the most uncool thing ever and negates any style points gained from clothing 😉 p

Cougar

As for short sleeved shirts. Only if you have a breast pocket full of pens to identify you as a neurodivergent nerd.

I don’t need pens for that.

Being a sloppy dressed dork is not style

Correct, it’s the rejection of conformity.

frankconway

TJ, you’ve got a fan – or stalker – in funkmaster!
    Congrats!
    Well made, properly fitted suits in a range of fabrics are the epitome of style; light colours in lightweight fabrics for warm weather, darker colours inc stripes or checks for cooler weather.
    Raggy shorts and band t-shirts are for working in garden.

jimdubleyou

Raggy shorts and band t-shirts are for working in garden technology.

ElShalimo

Tl; Dr – it’s entirely dependent on the role, employer and the culture

The Bank of England is not the same as Sami’s Shawarma palace.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.