• This topic has 136 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by timmys.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Do I need to wear a suit for an interview?
  • kimbers

I have an interview in London tomorrow on the hottest day of the year

More formally managerial than my current role

At a research institute , I have worked at previously and another one on wednesday at a more prestigious one I’ve never worked

I’ve always worn suit & tie for previous interviews

But I really really really don’t know if I can face it !

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

I have the same dilemma on Wednesday. Might leave the jacket in the car. Haven’t worn a tie for several years, won’t be wearing one very often in the role.

willard

Depending on the role, you may have to suck it up and wear a suit. Have you got anything light? Maybe linen?

If you can get a light blue shirt, beigen linen suit and some decent tan/brown brogues, you may be able to swing the “Our man in…” tropical look.

shermer75
    Free Member

Unfortunately the answer is always yes

Kryton57

Its a Yes. Hopefully they appreciate your decision and ask you to take of your jacket, or maybe they have a nicely air conditioned office.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d be carrying the suit in a bag and getting changed just before I get there

muddy@rseguy

Yes, definitely. You only have one chance to make a lasting impression.

But you should also wear crocs (for exactly the same reason)

binners

As with all sartorial choices, just ask yourself ‘what would Alan do?’

FB-ATB

Bonus points for doing it in the reception!

frankconway

Yes; wear a tie and decide when you get there whether or not to remove it.
    If interviewer(s) is/are ‘smart casual’ you could say…I’m feeling a little over-dressed, do you mind if I remove my tie.
    Why not call and ask if they have a dress code for interviews?
    Good luck – hope it goes well!

lunge

You’ll know the companies and industry better then I but, sadly, I’d be defaulting to a suit. You might not need one, but certainly in the industries I work in it’s be expected.
    I might drop the tie though…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Fish net stockings posing pouch and tank top. Be yourself.

theotherjonv

Chinos and a polo shirt. Tucked in. Boat shoes. No socks.

Klunk
    Free Member

computer game programmer probably not, bank manager probably yes.

tomhoward

Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have.

I’m currently awaiting a disciplinary meeting, in my Batman suit.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Suit. There may be some places you would be fine without, but it’s never a wrong choice. (Having worked in several such places, and interviewed in more. This despite wearing shorts and a t-shirt for the job itself.)

DrJ

Weird how even I’m these globally warmed days it’s hard to find light smart clothes, and don’t even mention linen. In fact it’ll get wrinkled if you mention it. I bought a suit ages ago in Reiss and it’s long long pst the point where it should have been binned but its very lightweight wool and I’ve worn it from Qatar to Calcutta and been comfortable, and never found one to replace it.

easily
    Free Member

The usual advice is to go on a reach and see what people who work there are wearing. You should then wear something a bit smarter than that.

The last job I went for was in a theatre. I’d seen that people were very casual during the work day, as I’d expect for the sort of work, so I wore a dark suit with a collarless shirt. It worked as I got the job.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Tricky choice, I’d go Sainsbury’s half decent quality but not got the same level of middle class angst as Waitrose. Whatever you do don’t do Asda or farm foods.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If interviewer(s) is/are ‘smart casual’ you could say…I’m feeling a little over-dressed, do you mind if I remove my tie.

Is it just me that finds this a little weird? 🤭

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

This is a difficult question and the answer is probably “it depends” 😉

frankconway

generalist – that’s a tried and tested approach; what’s weird about it?

airvent
    Free Member

I didn’t for my current job and I work in a professional office environment, my interviewer (current director) didn’t either. I did wear a shirt and tie though.

martymac

I’ve went to a couple of jobs where i wore a suit and other candidates didn’t.
    Both times i got the job.
    I wasn’t over qualified.
    Make of that what you will 👍👍

twonks

If you go with a suit and tie, you’ve at least shown respect for the company.

If they then let you sit there all sweaty and don’t suggest you can remove the jacket and/or tie, it tells you about the type of people you’d be working for. 😉

zippykona

When we were after a junior in the garage the lad who turned up in a suit was hired.
    He was a total stoner waste of space.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

If in doubt wear a suit but that also begs the question of what kind of suit!

However, I’ve never had a successful formal interview and consequently, I’ve never been successful in an interview wearing a suit!

andeh

You’d think that by now society would have reached a point where we can all admit that suits and ties are uncomfortable, impractical and, essentially, a dick swinging contest, and just wear something appropriate for the task at hand. If I didn’t get a job because I didn’t wear a suit, it’s probably not a job I’d want.

Still, you probably should wear a suit. Business is serious business. Don’t forget your briefcase full of gummy bears.

zippykona

reeksy

Suit. There may be some places you would be fine without, but it’s never a wrong choice. (Having worked in several such places, and interviewed in more. This despite wearing shorts and a t-shirt for the job itself.)

I remember being told in an interview that it was the last time i’d ever need to wear a tie in that company. Definitely no suits required in Tasmania!

You’d think that by now society would have reached a point where we can all admit that suits and ties are uncomfortable, impractical and, essentially, a dick swinging contest,

This! Suit jackets serve no purpose apart from to cover fat guts and to use a less protective version of a coat to get from a building to a vehicle.

mert
    Free Member

Unfortunately the answer is always yes

Thankfully, it isn’t.
    I haven’t worn one, barring weddings, since my first job interview.

willard

I work in IT, not in management (thank god) but have still worn a suit or jacket/smart trousers at every interview in the last 20 years. Things are, luckily, a bit different in Sweden with ties being a little too much for most people (even in traditional finance), so I have managed to avoid them since moving here.

Whatever you choose, good luck today. Given ‘em hell!

prettygreenparrot

No tie for me. Ever again.

I don’t know the culture of the org you’re going to/have gone to for interview, but that would be my biggest influence away from black jeans/khakis and finely-patterned or plain shirt. Maybe an Aloha shirt if the interview were on a Friday.

prettygreenparrot

If they then let you sit there all sweaty and don’t suggest you can remove the jacket and/or tie, it tells you about the type of people you’d be working for

That’s funny.
    As a grown-up I’d expect the OP to take their comfort into their own hands.

DrJ

This! Suit jackets serve no purpose apart from to cover fat guts and to use a less protective version of a coat to get from a building to a vehicle

I like jackets – lots of useful pockets, can be adjusted for different temperatures. Ties are torture, though.

TiRed

Linen suit, patterned shirt, no tie. Ask if they mind if you remove your jacket. They’ll like that as an opener.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

that suits and ties are uncomfortable, impractical and, essentially, a dick swinging contest,

I can’t think l of anything less ‘dick swinging’ than wearing a suit.
    It basically screams ” I am beholden to you and need something off you. I am wearing this ridiculous ensemble in an attempt to win your favour”

chakaping
    Free Member

You know about your industry dresscode better than us.

I could wear a shirt and jacket for some interviews, others I’d go suit & tie.

But you’ve got a guaranteed conversation-starter either way: “Phew, hot one today isn’t it? I’m going to have to take this jacket off.”

Alex

@chakaping – that’s fine unless you’re nervous and accidentally replace ‘jacket’ with ‘trousers’ 🙂

I was on the panel for a senior position at a university a few weeks ago when it was very hot and we’re were in a small un air-conditioned room. We actually sent out a note to all candidates that we were not going to be wearing formal wear/suits and they were welcome to follow that guidance.

One guy still did turn up in a suit, but removed jacket and tie before we started.

chakaping
    Free Member

@chakaping – that’s fine unless you’re nervous and accidentally replace ‘jacket’ with ‘trousers’ 🙂

This is why I never wear my stripper trousers to job interviews, just in case I get confused and go full Partyboy…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.