Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Do I need to disconnect my car battery when charging it?
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Do I need to remove the battery terminals from the battery? I can’t see why I’d need to…

…am I blind to something?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just pull the earth

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Why? It doesn’t disconnect when the alternator is charging it.

seavers
    Free Member

Don’t think you need to just as long as the battery isn’t dead and you are using a normal charger, not one with a boost function that might push it over 20 volts. That could damage the cars electronics.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You could have a charger from the 60s for all I know. So that’s why I said pull it. If it’s a modern trickle it’ll be ok.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Sorry, yeah, modern multi-mode charger. It is on now. Will see if starting is better in the morning. If so, new battery time. 8 years old…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m getting a banner above for euro car parts 50% off everything. Psa

Greybeard
    Free Member

Euro Car Parts banner is up to 50%. Saved about £10 on a battery yesterday, about 15%.

geoffj

If so, new battery time. 8 years old…

Change it now before it gets proper cold and lets you down when you least need it!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Change it now before it gets proper cold and lets you down when you least MOST need it!

There you go Geoff.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Buy on line

Much cheaper than Halfrauds.

Euro Car Parts also have a sister site that is cheaper than their main one CarParts4Less

geoffj

sharkbait – Member
    Change it now before it gets proper cold and lets you down when you least MOST need it!

There you go Geoff.

😆 I agonised over the wording of my post and almost edited it, and then convinced myself that being let down was actually the main subject of the sentence and so left it at least.

*consults the Guardian style guide 8)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ahhh – gotcha 😳

*shuffles off muttering about being a bit thick

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Plumped for a Varta Silver E44, £67.50 delivered from eBay. Went to order at 4:30pm after checking battery voltage leaving work (12.19V at rest), and price had gone up to £76.50. Bummer.

benji
    Free Member

Nominal voltage is one reading a more useful one is the voltage during cranking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Do I need to disconnect my car battery when charging it?’ is closed to new replies.