Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Do I need new pads if I’m fitting bigger rotors?
  • rockandrollmark

As per the title. I’ve got some single-pot SLXs running on 180mm rotors. The pads are only a handful of rides old (metal up front, resin out back). I’m thinking of sizing up to a 203mm rotor on the front as it seems like a very cheap way of getting more power on heat dissipation for very little outlay or extra weight.

Do I need to factor in new pads too, or can I just pop on a new (bigger) rotor? Obviously not wanting to go throwing another £35 for pads (if I can even find anywhere with stock) if the current ones will play nicely with the bigger rotor.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just use the existing ones till they wear out. Perhaps give them a clean / refresh with a bit of sand paper to take the crap off the face of them. But there is no point binning them. Also make sure the new rotors are clean. I use disc brake cleaner. Then do a couple of hard DH braking runs to match the clean pads to the new rotors.

jamiemcf

New rotor and new mount adapter

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rockandrollmark

Aces. Thanks for the confirmations. Was worried the pads would wear to the “signature” of the rotor.

and new mount adapter

…or a boatload of washers?

spooky_b329

Your joking about the washers, presumably! Definitely adaptor required!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Do I need new pads if I’m fitting bigger rotors?’ is closed to new replies.