Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do I need FENSA?
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

Replacing one aluminium patio door with another. Will be similar but not identical as the current one Is an 80’s relic.

FENSA cert needed?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Like most answers, it depends.

We got stiffed by a guy who worked for a window company. Mate of a mate doing a “private” job so to speak. First question I asked was whether it would come with the fensa cert and I was promised it would.

He replaced front door, rear door and patio door. Front and rear doors weren’t a worry as they were less than 50% glass, but the fensa document never materialised for the patio door despite no end if chasing.

Fast forward ten years when we moved out and the buyer was a real dick, her solicitor even worse and our solicitor seemed spinless, it was a nightmare.

However, there was a fensa document for all the pre-existing windows so I don’t think anyone every counted how many were there and how many were certified.

Besides, there didn’t seem to be anything that her solictor wouldn’t try and cover with an indemnity policy. Didn’t matter if it was already sorted or not. If it had been picked upon, I’ve no doubt there would have been another policy for it. I swear she must have been getting kickbacks on those things.

TheGingerOne

If you have any intention of moving house, then it will save you hassle and cost to pay up front and get it done properly with a certificate now.

ElShalimo

We sold our house in 2013 and some windows didn’t have FENSA certs.

A £25 indemnity policy covered it.

bear-uk
    Free Member

When you get yours can you pick one up for me please?

peekay

We bought a house without FENSA certificates, or an indemnity.
    Windows were about 5 years old.

We are now selling the house without FENSA certificates or an indemnity.
    Windows are now around 12 years old.

I’m really not convinced that the FENSA certificates, or indemnity policy offers anything at all, other than some people saying that it “making it easier when you sell the house” which is actually balls as everyone is so beholden to the worthless indemnity policy racket which the solicitors perpetuate so that they continue to get their cut.

Greybeard
    Free Member

You need to demonstrate compliance with Building Regulations. A FENSA certificate does that, but otherwise you can go to your local authority building control. That’s England & Wales, not sure about Scotland or NI.

spooky_b329

Its not worth paying extra for Fensa. Like the others, when we sold we paid a few quid for an indemnity policy for a glazed rear door, and then a few more quid for another policy when the buyers solicitor pointed out we needed building regs as the door used to be a window and we had changed the layout. Presumably correct, their argument was it was notifiable as we had changed the layout/exit layout, but seeing as we had created a direct route outside rather than having to pass through a fiery kitchen it was a bit of a box ticking exercise. The alternative was retrospective building regs, but if that was refused for some reason, any indemnity would be voided as building control are aware of the issue.

slowol

You can get building control approval instead. If you ring them they will tell you what standard to work to and what they need to inspect at what stages of the work. Not too expensive and totally above board as the building control certs get registered on the council website so anyone can check what’s been done. Saves the lost paperwork too as the internet keeps it for you.

Sui
    Free Member

You need to demonstrate compliance with Building Regulations. A FENSA certificate does that,

Don’t agree with this. One, building control will sign off if its it new build or extension through the build phases, I’ve had the same and BC didn’t bat an eyelid I didn’t have cert. Two FENSA are a self regulating industry association, not a compliance authority, it’s balls.. The chimney/burner thing is the same as it can all be done through self cert and competent person (I. E. They ask can you do it and you say yes) schemes..

Greybeard
    Free Member

Two FENSA are a self regulating industry association, not a compliance authority, it’s balls.

FENSA’s website claims:

FENSA is a government-authorised scheme that monitors building regulation compliance for replacement windows and doors.

Since 2002, FENSA has been authorised by the government to issue the renowned FENSA certificate: proof that your window and door installations are compliant, energy efficient, and registered. This proof is vital when selling your home. When you use a FENSA Approved Installer, rather than having to arrange an inspection from your Local Building Control Officer, the team at FENSA notify them for you – and you get a certificate to prove it.

ElShalimo

It’s a load of bollocks.

Does anyone remember the Federation of Master Builders? You got membership by paying annual subs.

FFS

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone is denying it’s a con. The question is, can it be avoided?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never heard of them . Are they the same as vika.

Got patio doors and a big window going in this week.

I know the fitter isn’t affiliated with fensa.

Couldn’t give a **** .

chestrockwell

It’s nonsense. My mate fits windows and doors for a living and has sorted me out plenty of times. If I get him to do the job I pay cost for the products and I paint a room or two at his house for payment but get no FENSA. If I go through the company he works for I pay RRP for the products, his boss takes a cut and I pay his wages but my mate still fits the windows/doors in the same way and I get a certificate. Rubbish.

duncancallum

Ponsi scheme

Utter con😀

stumpyjon

If people want to buy your house a bit of paper isnt going to make a difference, it’s just solicitors justifying their input. If the buyer wants the house sold as seen, a FENSA certificate doesnt guarantee the quality of the installation or performance of the windows anymore than wiring certs prove the quality of installation. The horror stories on here bear that out.

From what I remember from being in the window industry FENSA is little more than a trade body you join by paying.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Beware the muggers in suits. They will fleece you of hundreds/thousands with a polite smile rather than a few quid out of your wallet/pocket.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do I need FENSA?’ is closed to new replies.