Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Do I need a new derailleur?
  • Premier Icon hairyscary

I managed to do this to my, one ride old, XT 12 speed derailleur today.

Even if I straighten and dress what is left of the outer plate, I think it will be more likely to hook onto something and will be more likely to lose the chain around the jockey wheel.

Is it dead?

Premier Icon dovebiker

Unscrew the jockey wheel bolts to remove the inner cage and bash it flat with a hammer – refit and see how it runs before looking at other solutions?

Premier Icon wishiwascalledsteve

No not dead. You’ve two options.

The free one is dremel away the twisted bits back so there’s nothing to snag. I’ve had to do this to the point where the arm stopped after the bolt hole and there was no cage around the chain and never had a problem.

The money option is just buy a replacement cage arm, shimano sell them separately

Premier Icon scotroutes

You should be able to buy that part separately. Don’t know about availability or cost.

Y3FW98080

Not the easiest of things to replace but you being an engineer and all, I’m sure you’ll figure it out.

Premier Icon wishiwascalledsteve

Y3FW98080 is the item code you need

Premier Icon kayak23

I’d just file that flat and bash on. 👍

Premier Icon hairyscary

I didn’t know that you could buy the front plate. I’ll see if I can get myself one.
    Cheers.

Premier Icon hairyscary

Seeing as the consensus is to fettle it and carry on, I’ll do that and see how it goes.

Premier Icon conkers
    Free Member

SJS cycles
    are very good for this sort of thing. Although it’s saying out of stock it might be an idea to give them a ring so they can sort you out when it becomes available.

Premier Icon endomick
    Free Member

£18 at sjs cycles, for now just file down, you could butcher an old cage with a hacksaw and attach over the top with an extra long bolt to stop it snagging.

Premier Icon hairyscary

Cheers all.
    I’ll give SJS a call and fettle this one in the meantime.

Premier Icon TiRed

Upgrade to some ceramic speed jockey wheels and a carbon cage. Seriously, I’d file it sown and carry on.

Premier Icon endomick
    Free Member

TiRed, I’d recommend you watch Hambini’s latest YouTube vid for his thoughts on ceramic speed.

Premier Icon TiRed

He has a bit of a conflict if interest, I believe. I’ve already analysed his engineering prowess. His own data tends not to back up his claims.

Premier Icon hairyscary

looks Like I won’t be giving SJS Cycles a call in the morning, totally minced derailleur 🙁

Premier Icon tomaso

That is a really thorough job.

Premier Icon hairyscary

The replacement bit the dust today. Again it was the gentlest of contacts with something on the side of the trail and on the next pedal stroke the cage bent and cracked out of shape. I think that the cage is too spindly and soft as I’ve whacked XO mechs repeatedly off rocks and they have been fine.
    Looks like my experiment with XT derailleurs is over and I’m back on SRAM XO.

Premier Icon csb

Is there something else wrong with your set up (or dare i say technique?) that is causing this? 2 in a row is bizarre.

Premier Icon hairyscary

Set up is good, shifted perfectly, chain is long enough. The XO I took off had scrapes and gouges everywhere, so yes I do whack derailleurs…….Aberdeenshire is rough and rocky.
    Maybe I’ve just been unlucky, but neither of the hits felt enough to do this.

Premier Icon sillyoldman

I’ve twatted mine off loads of stuff – all fine.

Premier Icon csb

That model mech, combined with your frame, does seem very eager to spring itself into the cogs!

Premier Icon hairyscary

That model mech, combined with your frame, does seem very eager to spring itself into the cogs!

I’ll go with this 😀

Back to SRAM XO and see if I can make it 3 in 6!

Premier Icon oscillatewildly

Rider epic fail sorry

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

That does seem unlucky…

Premier Icon hairyscary

Rider epic fail sorry

Probably, but I really can’t remember ever having mashed a derailleur (I can usually feel if there is any resistance and back off), so 2 in quick succession seemed a bit odd.

Premier Icon kcal

Given the rider in question, epic *rider* fail would not be my first conclusion 🙂

Premier Icon brownsauce
    Free Member

somehow i dont think swopping brand will be the cure all solution for those impacts

its like wrapping a ford fiesta round a tree at 40mph then saying  if only it was a vauxhall corsa it would just polish out

Premier Icon tjagain

hub gear time?

Premier Icon Poopscoop

No half measure there mate!

Personally I reckon you’ve just been unlucky. I suspect an SRAM wouldn’t be much more resilient faced with a destroyer of world such as yourself.Lol

Premier Icon spooky_b329

Are you sure its set up perfectly? Hanger straight, B limit screw correct, upper and lower limit screws? (correctly set, not ‘looks ok’.

Also the chain could have stiff or spread links, especially after the first incident. Is the chain long enough at full compression?

Premier Icon hairyscary

Chain was replaced. I use a hanger alignment tool (the hanger was replaced but I checked it anyway).

Premier Icon PiknMix

Fair play OP, if a jobs worth doing, it’s worth doing properly, and you have properly screwed up two mechs. Seems odd that your SRAM survived similar incidents.

At least your out there doing it.

Premier Icon epicyclo

Hub gears a solution?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.