Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do I need a narrow-wide chainring or is a clutch mech enough? (no chainguide)
  • spicer
    Free Member

Hiya,

I’m getting confused with what will and won’t work in keeping a chain on….

Just ordering some 10 speed bits (zee clutch rear mech, zee shifter, slx chain and cassette). I’m just wondering what to do about the chainring….
    I’ll be using an 11-36 cassette, probably with a 36t chainring (maybe 34). It’s going on a 456C hardtail, so will get ridden fairly hard.

Am I likely to drop the chain if I just use the clutch with no chainguide with a normal chainring? Or do I really need a narrow-wide type chainring? (these are ridiculously expensive!)
    Would a singlespeed ring like the on-one stainless steel ring work? (I already have one…)
    this: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CROOSS/on_one_stainless_chainring

cheers for any advice!

creamegg
    Free Member

Clutch wasnt enough for me

mcnultycop

My chain stays on with Zee mech only on my HT with an e13 G ring only. Try it if you have a ring and see, if it falls off get a narrow wide.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Clutch only seems to work for a few. Clutch and NW chainring work for most. A few find it doesn’t and need some extra retention mechanism.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Might work, depends on you and the trails you ride.
    The works components rings are about £35, so about the same as a normal ring.

nickdavies

You’ll need a guide to use the on-one chainring. (Or at least I did, C456, on one stainless chainring, zee mech & slx cranks so very similar to you)

I’ve dropped once since since going to a works thick/thin in about 12 hours of riding. I’m pretty impressed by the setup actually!

Northwind

If you don’t already have a chainring you’d be daft not to buy a thick/thin IMO.

Clutch by itself with an E13 single ring with no guide was hopeless for me. Clutch and chainguide was reasonably good, but not perfect.

Clutch + thick/thin and no chain device has been the best of all worlds though. I did use a chain guide, but I’m not convinced it was doing a thing, so I took it off- if I can bounce my hardtail down fort william (including a little bit of turning it upside down and throwing it at the trees) and have the chain not come off without it, then I reckon it’s good.

(also I reckon that if you ever do get the chain to come off with a thick/thin and a device, you’re going to have loads of fun getting it back on- I’d sooner have a slightly higher risk of a drop, and a 2 second fix.)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It depends on your riding. You need a clutch mech with a thick/thin ring so start off with a clutch mech and see how you get on. If you drop your chain then get a thick/thin ring. I think a clutch mech makes the biggest contribution to the combo. I ran that combo for about 4 months with no issues initially, but, as we like to ride a variety of rides, I then dropped the chain a few times on one particular ride that has a few particularly knurly/rocky descents so then took the plunge with the thick/thin ring, and so far its been fine with no chain drops even the few times i’ve ridden the rocky descents that dropped my chain in the non-thick/thin setup. I went with the Wolftooth ring – not the cheapest by the time you add on the import duty (Works didn’t have any in stock at the time), but is a really nice piece of kit.

crankrider
    Free Member

They are not expensive, only compared to ultra cheap rings….

The Raceface sells for £40…. the Works Components one £35.00 – that’s the same price (or thereabouts) as any standard cnc ring… much cheaper than an £80.00 chain device!

For what its worth, mine seems to be wearing better than a standard ring too – will see what winter brings.

spicer
    Free Member

Cheers for the input! 🙂

Looks like I’ll get a narrow-wide chainring to go with the mech and see how that goes- Probably the works components one, as soon as it’s back in stock.

And those ultra-cheap rings are what I usually go for…. £9 for some shimano deore ones on CRC at the moment. With no shifting on the front I thought they would have been fine. Nevermind!

crankrider
    Free Member

And those ultra-cheap rings are what I usually go for…. £9 for some shimano deore ones on CRC at the moment. With no shifting on the front I thought they would have been fine. Nevermind!

Ah, if you use a full chain device they would work fine – done that myself a few times infact.

Just looked on works site (again, still after a 30t but will prob just go rf now) and they all seem in stock.

RF seem back in stock in most places now too….

jonnyrockymountain

both mate, at least you know ur safe

nwill1
    Free Member

Ran an XT clutch with standard ring didn’t drop once on tame trails, took it to a DH track dropped every run! So depends on your ridding style and terrain really, I just went old skool and picked up an MRP G2 Mini at a good price, I’ll take the weight & price penalty to guarantee my chain stays on!

spicer
    Free Member

Just looked on works site (again, still after a 30t but will prob just go rf now) and they all seem in stock.

Yep, Emailed them last night and they updated stock this morning.

They also have the 36t in colours due in stock in a few weeks if anyone is wondering.

Will let you know how I get on with the clutch and thick/thin combo!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a narrow-wide chainring or is a clutch mech enough? (no chainguide)’ is closed to new replies.