• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Do I need a full face helmet?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Recently getting into enduro and now toying with the idea of a full face helmet, or full face convertible helmet like the MET parachute MCR, or lightweight offering like the IXS Trigger.

Not sure I need it though, I am not very Gnar!!, but my new yeti is making me do crazier and crazier things!.

Ive had my POC Trabec for a while now so need a new lid anyway, but maybe the POC Tectal Race enduro lid is all I really need?

I dont really do crazy jumps or the park (but want to!).

MET parachutre MCR
    null

null

mashr

if you want one get one

weeksy

Not until you REALLY need one 🙂

That may be today, or may be never… who knows.

letitreign
    Free Member

I think if you are racing, then you are going to be pushing it, wearing a full face will increase your confidence too, also, if you’re into natural riding (steep tech/riding down mountain terrain) and tend to ride solo, it’s safer should you come off and clout your head.

So many light weight full face helmets about now, I think it’s daft not to own one these days, specially as you progress.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

only you know,

i have one but rarely wear it as it gives me an invicibility feel to riding,
    at recent enduro events (ardmoors/pmba) i’d say its a 40/60 split of fullface /trail lid..

if you are mainly wheels on the ground then maybe not, if you are launching of everything then maybe you do.

bike skills/coaching is probably better value than a fullface..

stevextc
    Free Member

If you wear it racing Enduro is one thing the rules seem to be set up to discourage wearing a FF as most state you with be DQ’d (even pushing) on a transition without helmet.in practice unless you’re elite I think its less enforced (experience is not)..

However if you are going out practising any gnar or visit a bike park its nice to have the option.

Couple of years ago I lost some teeth on a not particularly big drop … and £4000 later had to stop the dental work and since list 1 1/2 other teeth. Got the FF after that…. wore them loads (on my second) … then doing the Epic this year decided not to go proper FF… not long ago I went back and redid the drop where I lost my teeth (been avoiding it for ages)…. bizarrely wasn’t wearing the FF…

Basically if I do uplift or pushup I wear the FF…. if I go out to session something I’ll take the FF… (where I will push or ride back up with helmet on bars) … If I’m going a longer ride I’ll take the open face or convertable…

CheesybeanZ

I wear one a BPW cause I’m trying a bit harder . I don’t on normal trail type riding .

chakaping
    Free Member

These lightweight FF helmets with lots of holes can be fine for pedaling, if you’re steady on the climbs.

I don’t use mine much but it’s good to have when the time is right. Also works well for KOM-hunting sessions.

😉

DezB
    Free Member

Nice to have on if you fall on yer chin. Otherwise, I bleedin overheat in a normal “enduro” lid, so never for me. Plus I have a weird ear that can’t be in a full face cos of the pressure.. things to consider! 😉

olii
    Free Member

As per Stevextc, I don’t think there is any reason NOT to wear a full face of you are riding bike park, riding up foreroads to descend trails or sessioning things.

Even not on jumps/drops, there’s a lot of potential to hurt yourself riding fast on singletrack.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

If you want one get one, as above. It sounds like you are doing the kind of riding that warrants one. No point in waiting until it’s too late and then thinking ‘if only’.
    There’s no requirement to be doing huge gnar drops. The way I see it, if you have one and wear it, you won’t need it. If you don’t wear one, it won’t be long until you have a bad crash where you should have been wearing one.

I got a TLD D3 on sale two years ago, well worth it.

Akers

Depends where and what you ride. My local trails are all Surrey Hills and surrounds, where it’s almost all dirt and loam so I don’t feel it’s necessary to where a full face. If away riding rocky terrain, riding at a bike park where there are lots of jumps and drops to deal with, or racing so pushing hard, then I feel much happier in my Proframe FF.
    As has been said, you don’t need a full face until you really need it!

speedstar

If you decide to go for one I can wholly recommend the TLD stage. Don’t need to take it off at all and definitely gives more confidence riding the steeps.

stevextc
    Free Member

Depends where and what you ride. My local trails are all Surrey Hills and surrounds, where it’s almost all dirt and loam so I don’t feel it’s necessary to where a full face

LOL, I thought the same and I lost my teeth on thick n creamy… like seriously… stupid 1:100 accident

doomanic

Fox Proframe is light and well ventilated.

gribble
    Free Member

I am not sure the protection is anywhere near as decent, but I have a convertible helmet (so the chin piece can come off). Seems to be comfortable as a normal trail helmet, but you can put on the chin bit when/as you want.

I have a now discontinued Bell Super 2R; Bell have updated versions and there is now lots of alternatives for the same type of product.

chakaping
    Free Member

If it helps, I wear mine when I’m uplifting or when I’m going to be making an effort to push my skills and go faster than normal.

If you’re doing similar, go for it.

DezB
    Free Member

I lost my teeth on thick n creamy…

I’m not asking 😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a full face helmet?’ is closed to new replies.