Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Do I need a Dialled Alpine….?
  • gringo

I’ve currently got a Cove Handjob running 130mm u-turn coil Rockshox Revelations, mostly Xt drive train (3×9) and Mavic 819’s. I’ve had it since 2007 and love it.

I nearly bought an Alpine instead of the Cove but at the time decided that it might be too much bike. Now I’m wanting a bit more bike and am wondering whether to scratch the Alpine itch? How different are they to the Handjob? Should I just stick with what I’ve got and am happy with? Maybe I should upgrade the Handjob…2×10 drivetrain etc…thoughts please?

Glenn

coogan
    Free Member

Yes. They are ace.

ryderredman
    Free Member

If you need to argue with yourself about it: Surely now is the time as everyone’s wanting the fashion size wheels? Get one before they become a rarity.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I have a Mk 1 Alpine and I would recommend one to anyone. I took mine for a spin on the North Downs yesterday and had forgotten juts how much fun it was, plus it always gives me the confidence to try stuff I have baulked at before.

gringo

Interesting, thanks. What do they climb like? What width tyre can you get on the rear?

rob2
    Free Member

I had one of the new ones and it was brilliant. Climbed like a mountain goat. Only sold it as it was a bit too much for me and wanted something lighter. But regret it now. They are ace. Mine was 16″ and I’m 5ft 7

jimmy

They are ace, I loved mine but ultimately wanted something more Xc from a hardtail and the Alpine encroached on the job of my full suss.

Climbing is fine – I’d recommend dual position forks so you can lower the front end for it, but big travel (150mm I’d say) forks for the rest are essential so don’t compromise in the middle.

wiggles
    Free Member

Yes do it now! They are awesome, I have 160mm forks and mine and it does compromise the climbing a bit but I have still made it up everything I have tried and is worth it for the downs.

Jamie
    Free Member

I had a MK1, it’s the one at the bottom of the Alpine’s web page. Ace bike and could do waaaay more than I could do with it, so I ended up swapping it for a PA eventually.

johnhe

I think you need to borrow a slacker angled, longer forked hardtail for a ride to see for yourself. Personally, I love the slacker angles of my BFe with a 150mm fork – I love the fact that a longer fork and a slacker head angle gives me confidence in steeper trails.

However, 130mm is a decent sized fork, and I’m sceptical how different your bike will really be from an Alpine, except heavier.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I run 150mm Marzocchi Z1s on mine and it climbs fine. I occasionally engage the ETA but even without that, there’s no problem. With regards to tyres I usually run 2.35s but there is still plenty of room at the back.

accu
    Free Member

+1 for ryderredman..
    get one before it is too late…
    they are ace….

rudedog
    Free Member

Only reason I changed my HJ was for dropper post compatibility – I’ve currently got an mmmbop with 150mm pikes but I can’t remember riding anything since that the HJ couldn’t have handled – I guess it comes down to the type of riding you plan to do?

deviant
    Free Member

I have a mk1 in purple for sale if you’re interested?
    It’s on eBay but I’ll take it down for someone from the forum.
    17 inch model, no rust, dents etc, FSA headset installed and seat collar included.
    I’m in the south, £150 if you want it.

gringo

Deviant, possibly. I’m 6’2 though so it maybe a little bit small?

deviant
    Free Member

You’ll need the later models then, they came in 16 & 18 inches I think (18 for you I reckon)…. My mk1 was 15 & 17 inches I believe?

gringo

Ok cheers, that’s what I thought.

accu
    Free Member

MK1 was 15,5″ with TT length of 21″ or 22″
    and 17″ with TT length of 22″ and 23″
    and by the way..
    the 17/23 frame with 160mm fork had 67 headangle,73 seatangle, BB 13,4,chainstay 16,75, wheelbase 44,3..
    MK2 and MK3 are 18″…

gringo

Cheers accu, that’s very helpful! 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a Dialled Alpine….?’ is closed to new replies.