• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Akers.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Do I buy a new bike or…
  • duncancallum

I know 1st world issues.

I’ve a cheap whyte hardtail that I use a fair bit and love, needs a better fork mind. and a big enduro bike.

Since moving up to sw Scotland I don’t need that big bike a d its a heavy lump so as its my 40th this month I’ve a couple of quid squirreled away and I’m umming about getting a more trail oriented bike.

So either a bike or a frame that I’ll build up,

I’m thinking 120 to max 140. 29er. Tempted with a stage 4, though I’ve previously never been a fan of them the new ones look sweet.

I like odd stuff. I’ve had a Titus, Intense and current bikes a bergamont. I like stuff that’s not mega common.

It’s that or I might buy a new welder but a bike sounds more fun.

richardkennerley

Flaremax or Jeht. I have no idea what you want or need, but I’m a Cotic owner now so I have to recommend them.

CheesybeanZ

Starling Murmur trail 😎

swan0mighty
    Free Member

How about a marin rift zone? I might happen to be just about to list one for sale in XL in Scotland

reeksy

Budget?

duncancallum

Haven’t really got one ideally max 4k

I’d buy a frame and fork as well and build one up.

Like I say I’m open too suggestions

DickBarton

Bird…if we are recommending what we have – Aether 9 would work.

poah
    Free Member

Since moving up to sw Scotland I don’t need that big bike

You don’t travel then?

a11y

I like stuff that’s not mega common.

In that case, and in the STW way of recommending what you own, a Nicolai Saturn 14. I use mine for general all-round riding in central Scotland. I do have a bigger travel bike also but the Nicolai’s my default.

dropoff

Buy the new welder and build a bike.

duncancallum

@poah tbh I’m not so much did the Alps last month but I’m not doing the lakes anywhere near as much and tbh I don’t ride the bergamont as hard as it will go so really for 98% of the time I reckon I’ll be better on a smaller bike that’s not 35lb in weight.

I might even not bother, stick some 130mm pikes on the whyte and buy a 2 post ramp for the garage.

To be brutally honest I’m hoping a new FS will get me back out more and exploring.

I’m missing the pennines and lakes being at my door, though I’m loving here the riding isn’t as varied

poah
    Free Member

@duncancallum

Was meaning more travelling Scotland. What’s your local area?

duncancallum

Live out near newton stewart

GolfChick
    Free Member

Having lifted your bike I can’t imagine riding it up an actual hill! Sure monstrous on the way down but a nightmare for anything undulating or pedally which I guess would be brilliant if you’re in the alps every week but where you live and end up riding a lot doesnt work that way so I would definitely agree with either better forks on the hardtail or new trail bike.

joebristol

I don’t know what classes as common / less common in this scenario but a carbon Nukeproof Reactor could be worth a look – as could the Bird Aether 9.

Cotic Flaremax – but that can build up quite heavy unless you go weight weenie.

Sonder Cortex perhaps – I think as alloy frames go that comes out ok.

The new Trek Topfuel looks decent – as does the Fuel Ex depending on how much travel you decide you want.

Maybe an Ibis Ripley.

Loads of decent options around that 130mm sort of mark. I don’t own any of the above brands / options – I’m on a Transition which in no way meets your requirements. The Spur might be ok or it might be a bit light for your preferred riding – I think Transition currently have a bit of a hole in the range between the Spur and Sentinel.

duncancallum

So I randomly bought some bomber2s last night for the hardtail, it’s on cheap recons so my thoughts are will this then make this bike much nicer? that I only ride it here and I can keep the bergamont for days out

I’ve also the bergamont back on its lighter oe wheels as on 511s on 350 hubs on inserts and wild enduro tyres it wasn’t exciting and or very good at flowing trails.

We shall see how we get on!

If I still hate it. Think may be a bird Aether or a Obrea

Akers

All depends how nadgery your local trails are, particularly the climbs and traverses. If you have to pedal over lots of ground with roots, rocks etc, for me when legs have to do pedalling and damping at the same time, it all gets very tiring on a HT. A short travel FS takes a lot of that pain away. The Kingdom Void 130 would suit you perfectly. 😉

FYI: it’s Nick, from May’s Slovenia trip, on the Kingdom Hex. /waves

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.