Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Do fingernails grow back?
  • jakd95
    Free Member

I’ve dropped a fence post of my hand liberating my little fingernail from it’s proper place. It’s completely popped off, including all the bits the go under the skin. The nail bed doesn’t look too bad apart from being a tad painful and bleeding an obscene amount.
    Question is will the nail eventually make a reappearance or will I be putting 1/10th less wear on the nailclippers?

devs
    Free Member

Either that or another you will grow from the bit that came off. I can’t remember which way round it is.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I’m on about my fifth big toe nail in 10 years, due to a “trip over a child’s toy” injury, plus a lot of running.

Yes, they do grow back (at least for me).

LeeW

No sorry, it’s gone forever. You may be lucky and get some hard skin grow over but it’s more likely to be an open wound for the rest of your life.

I might be fibbing…

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes mine have

chrishc777
    Free Member

Mine have too, but the ones that have grown back have a different shape which is surprisingly annoying!

jakd95
    Free Member

Good to know it’ll be back, I guess it might take a while though.

Drac

Yes but it depends where the damage was. If it at the growth bed, forget the medical term, then it reduces the likely hood.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yes, your nail will grow back. However a new you will grow from the discarded nail and he will attempt to kill you, usurp your life and claim credit for the fence work.

Unlike LeeW I may not be fibbing.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, will grow back. Happened to me many times. 😮

senorj

I’ve lost a couple ,mine grew back wonky.

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve had one grow back

It’s at a funny angle though

oldgit
    Free Member

Mine grew back split in two. Really annoying as it catches on things.

ste_t
    Free Member

It will grow back but will never look right and no woman will ever love you again

singlespeedstu

I know someone that lost the end of her finger and her nail kept growing back out of the end of the stump. 😯

maxtorque

Pictures! This thread needs pictures! 😉

(i’m still in a bit of a gruesome mood after watching “Trainspotting” last night)

paladin

I lost my nail and pulled the nail bed out by poking my finger through a rotating brake disc. Doc pushed the nail bed back in and its taken about 5 months to grow back

deadkenny
    Free Member

There was a bit on I think LBC’s medical hour about nail damage saying how certain situations can lead to the nail not properly growing back and may never will. They were talking toenails, but I guess the same is true of any nail.

I’ve had a couple of nails go black and drop off. Toenails though. First grew back eventually but a good 6 months at least. Took about 3 to drop off. Second time was last August I think, dropped off in December, and still not grown back fully. Got most the way there but seems to not be growing any more and yet my other nails are and need cutting, but not the toenail.

Merak

paladin

paladin

??? Nail cut through diagonally, the white bit at the base of the nail is the bit they pushed back in

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Do fingernails grow back?’ is closed to new replies.