Do English shops need to take Scottish ,N.I notes?

Home Forum Chat Forum Do English shops need to take Scottish ,N.I notes?

Viewing 22 posts - 46 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Do English shops need to take Scottish ,N.I notes?
  • davidzof

especially as more than 20p worth of 1ps is officially not legal tender

As several other posters have already said, legal tender has no relevance as to whether you can buy something.

bencooper

Random question – where does the demand for scottish bank notes come from?

A better question is why don’t all banks print their own bank notes? They used to. Really, a bank note is like a cheque, so there’s no reason why not to have different notes from different banks. A centralised currency backed by a central bank’s reserves is a relatively modern invention.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

konabunny – Member

“Slightly o/t but the presence of a large amount of Scottish notes in cash at work is usually a good indicator of it being drugs money, so dealers and wholesalers down south are happy to take them”

How? Why?

Because there’s no / very few real reason for anybody in England to have thousands and thousands in Scottish notes. Most shipments to the UK come in via England and the majority through an “English” supply chain, so large dealers in Scotland buy wholesale from England, obviously they sell at home and get paid in sweaty notes which they either cannot change to English and welsh cash so pass on when they next stock up or hand over in bulk to a hawlah. We’re talking thousands in piles of tens of thousands rather the £65 in Clydesdale bank 20’s

Ewan

A better question is why don’t all banks print their own bank notes? They used to. Really, a bank note is like a cheque, so there’s no reason why not to have different notes from different banks. A centralised currency backed by a central bank’s reserves is a relatively modern invention.

Yes. But that doesn’t answer the question. Surely it’s cheaper to just get a shipment of notes from the BoE than it is to operate your own printing house (unless they’re made at the royal mint i guess alongside normal notes, but you’d still think the BoE ones would be cheaper due to volume). Esp since ‘scottish’ banks are no more scottish than ‘english’ banks are english – they’re all large multinationally owned PLCs – can’t be down to the decision of a patriotic scott…

bencooper

They’re printed at the Mint AFAIK – alongside notes for quite a few other countries.

BoE notes aren’t legal tender in Scotland either, so I guess it makes sense for them to have notes backed by their own reserves. Sure, it’s a historical oddity, but it makes as much sense as any other system.

In fact it makes a bit more sense than BoE notes. A Scottish note is an IOU, basically, but an English note actually thinks it’s money not a bit of paper.

MrSmith

Don’t De la Rue print the banknotes for BOE?

Euro

Here in N.I they take NI, Scottish and English notes. Scotland takes NI notes, England doesn’t. Just another reason to avoid England where possible (that and it’s full of English 😀 )

Premier Icon chickenman
    Subscriber

I must remember this thread next time one of those “why does everybody hate the English” pops up again.

Premier Icon bedmaker
    Subscriber

As an aside, going into Lidl and paying with a £100 (scottish) note is a bad idea. I know this from personal, vexacious experience.

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Personally cant wait for Scottish independence..

brakes

As several other posters have already said, legal tender has no relevance as to whether you can buy something

Legally maybe, but in reality, like in a shop, it has every relevance.

dragon

You can get English notes in Scottish ATMs from the banks that traditionally aren’t Scottish e.g. Natwest, HSBC.

In my experience the further you get from Scotland The less people see Scottish notes and hence more likely to reject them. SW England and Wales can often be sceptical of them but then the 18 year old cashier has probably never seen one before.

piemonster

RBS in Dundee seems to give out English money as well as Scottish.

konabunny

Legally maybe, but in reality, like in a shop, it has every relevance.

Eh? The legal status of the form of payment is irrelevant in law but relevant in practical terms? Seems backward.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Yep it was forged. 👿

Premier Icon Andy R
    Subscriber

Euro – Member
    Here in N.I they take NI, Scottish and English notes.

And Manx ones, presumably? – England doesn’t accept those either.

Scotland takes NI notes, England doesn’t. Just another reason to avoid England where possible (that and it’s full of English )

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

Why don’t you just go and find out what a scottish note looks like? Seems a bit of an odd business practice to turn away business due to ignorance.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

We turn people away with English £50 notes as well . Not ignorance, covering our backs.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

zippykona – Member
    We turn people away with English £50 notes as well . Not ignorance, covering our backs.

not accepting £50’s is mental aswell.i quite often have £50 notes, if I get knocked back I don’t use that shop again. ah well, your loss.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Marty wrote:

Here in N.I they take NI, Scottish and English notes. Scotland takes NI notes, England doesn’t. Just another reason to avoid England where possible (that and it’s full of English )

I didn’t have a great problem using the pile of NI notes I came back with from one trip. Happily I’m also not xenophobic enough to suggest avoiding NI.

I once paid with Scottish money at Lands End – was kind of disappointed at the lack of reaction, but then I guess they are actually used to them there.

Viewing 22 posts - 46 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Do English shops need to take Scottish ,N.I notes?’ is closed to new replies.