• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Do carbon rims 'ping' and creak as you pump up the tyre?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

As per title, just fitted some tyre to some 700c 50mm deep carbon clinchers and as I got them up to pressure, it sounded like there were a few creaks and cracking noises.

I’m assuming this is just the equivalent of the twangs and pops you hear when the bead seats on a metal rim?

tarquin
    Free Member

Probably just the tyre seating or the spokes un tensioning or moving a little perhaps.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

That’s what I thought too. They’re from a UK supplier, so I’m not too worried, just checking.

njee20
    Free Member

Creaking is a little odd, sure it’s nothing to be worried about, but not common.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, a kind of twang-come-crack, the first time the tyres have been fitted on the rims.

daveh
    Free Member

Did read relatively recently that tight beads on a tyre can de-tension the spokes. Can’t remember the full argument around it though.

njee20
    Free Member

Twang-come-crack is more normal – that sounds like tyre beads settling. Creak implied prolonged to me.

boxfish
    Free Member

Twang-come-crack

Sounds like a village in Somerset.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks Boxfish….I have to say I did hesitate to use the phrase ‘twang-come-crack’ 😉

Yep,Njee, it was a few random crack…crack…twang…..silence…. Did sound akin to a tyre seating on a metal rim but (perhaps unsurprisingly) plastic-y and as though something was almost snapping.

I read somewhere that carbon clinchers should be kept with the tyre deflated when not in use. Anyone else heard this?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nope only high end track tires ( ultra high pressure and no sidewall protection) need to be stored deflated.

Even thats only because brushing a sharp object st the ultra high psi can maye the tensioned fibres let go.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Cool, I’ve left them pumped up anyhow for now.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, no reason to deflate them.

Sam

Sounds like spoke wind-up settling. Shouldn’t happen on a well built wheel.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Do carbon rims 'ping' and creak as you pump up the tyre?’ is closed to new replies.