Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DNS issues?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I’m having trouble with some sites loading, whereas others seem fine.

e.g. STW loads no problem, but twitter just goes round and round “waiting for twitter.com…”

I’ve changed the name servers Im using in Chrome from google to automatic (BT)with same problem. Is it a DNS thing?

alexxx
    Free Member

Is it Hanging then loading?

Using Google’s public DNS isn’t that advisable unless done for a very specific reason so I wouldn’t bypass your ISP’s in your case.

Have you tried getting at it from a remote location or say gtmetrix.com (sign in for the uk test).

Have you tried speedtest.net for a general connection speed?

Have you tried via a wired network rather than wireless?

Have you got anything like a chromecast audio on your network?

Have you tried the classic off/on technical reset?

Have you tried another machine to replicate the issue?

100 questions sorry!

Edit – also tying via a VPN if you use one could be a good shout to help debug.

annnd – has the router taken a hammering over the last few days with new connections ect? or are you all using the internet when you don’t normally? You maybe overloading what the none commercial router can handle with concurrent connections.

Stoner
    Free Member

hanging then sometimes loading, sometimes just stays hanging.

Twitter now seems to be loading, so testing w other devices not possible yet until it dies again.

general connection has been ok but got some flakiness on iPlayer radio earlier.

Will reboot WiFi extender and see if it improves.
    Ta

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cowman

Is it the recent windows 10 upgrade issue?

Have you tried the steps to rectify that?

Stoner
    Free Member

hmm, quick look at the DHCP table on the extender and there are multiple devices with the same IP address.

And they dont necc tally with the BT router. Still not proof of something not right, but Ive always had a sneaking suspicion that the BT Homehub is nto great at IP address management.

Will reboot all and see if things improve.

alexxx
    Free Member

Are they auto assigned conflicts or have you manually assigned ip’s and overlapped by accident?

If you’re not rural – turn off the shared BT wifi connection that allows other BT members to connect.

If that was a self assigned conflict then maybe setup a range of manual ip’s for known mac addresses starting from .200 and restart the router and forget / remember the connections on your other devices.

I think the BT router is fine as a router but flaky as a wifi point.. I’ve disabled mine and setup a ubiquiti ap-ac which I can recommend being a pleasure to setup and work with.

I run around 15 devices off it constantly and work on it for around 12 hours a day + social hours and never notice any issues apart from when that known chromecast audio issue arose.

If you do that – then disable the wifi completely off the router and use the ubiquiti solely for the wifi signal

Stoner
    Free Member

back from pub.

reboot of wifi extender (through which this device is connected) has improved connection.

BUT

HomeHub IP table is missing devices that are connected (i.e. this very device Im typing on, does not have an IP address on the IP table, but knows it is stil .139). I just dont trust it to log and mange UP addresses v well.

e.g. the Extender is working fine, but doesnt show up on the HomeHub IP Table. So I cant “find” the extender to log on to it and see what P addresses it has recorded (It is not a DHCP server itself)

Klunk
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m having trouble with some sites loading, whereas others seem fine.

e.g. STW loads no problem, but twitter just goes round and round “waiting for twitter.com…”

It’s a sign. Long may it continue.

alexxx
    Free Member

personally I’d go the ubiquiti route at least then you’ve got commercial grade hardware to easily manage the wireless traffic. You’d want 1 by your router and 1 wired in where your current extender is if you go that route.

I think adding an extender onto an already average wifi interface is probably the cause of the issues

charliew

There where some issues with the leap second affecting DNS lookups… but they should have been solved by now. Should.

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/incidents/1fczgjmknplp

Stoner
    Free Member

TBH all seems OK now. iplayer stream is sound etc.
    Unfortunately too many variables to isolate a cause, but there’s some v useful info in here, thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DNS issues?’ is closed to new replies.