Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • DMR Sled (full sus)
  • brant
    Free Member

Well considering you’ll do a custom Ti frame for similar to an off the peg, either volume manufacturing is a bit of a myth or you are seriously underselling yourself.

That’s a bait and switch, but.

1. I don’t do them any more (trousers, USD, time)
    2. I was selling direct.
    3. I have a brilliant relationship with the factory who are lovely.
    4. I was working out of my front room.

And do Radon, Canyon, YT etc not also do R & D?

Clearly lots. But they don’t have a dealer margin, and will have more sales to amortise other costs (marketing, design, logistics) than these smaller brands.

Pat Jenner has been working on that, with support from Michael Bonney for a good few years.
    What’s his salary, Michaels consultancy, trade shows, plus desk, plus NI, plus trips to Taiwan, plus sample builds, plus build kit – what’s that cost? Surely cannot be far of £150K you’d reckon? Easily.

So let’s do the sums – they sell say 300 a year of that model? 400?
    Over two years?
    That’s 800 into £150,000 – that’s £187.50 per frame actual costs to the company before you’ve even got your metal in a box.

$400 for a nice alloy frame. $50 for paint. $150 for a rear shock? ? Plus shipping ($15), duty ($12)

So we’re at $627ish? Which is £500 landed.
    Add the £187.50, so that’s £687.50 landed developed sat in Ison’s warehouse.

They are idiots if they sell for less than 30% margin, so that’s. £983+VAT to the shop. Who take £1600 less vat for the sale (£1333)

If you can point out the error in my sums, crack on.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I’d argue that Switchback is closer to the right name for it, but then they didn’t have the same cult following.

Well in a curious way it did. I still meet and reminisce on the trails with fellow former Switchback owners, but it is a brand name with issues for DMR to be sure. And another manufacturer has fearlessly stepped in and rehabilitated the name, so it isn’t available.

thepodge
    Free Member

Interesting insight into costs there.

You’ll notice that I didn’t say it should / could be cheaper I said you’d think they would price it lower.

I just don’t see what their unique selling point is with these other than being vaguely home grown. You can get a custom frame from Starling / Nicolai for a similar price or most of a bike from a big name all for the same cost.

chakaping
    Free Member

Seems like a gap in the market for a ‘budget’ Enduro 29er.

There is the YT Jeffsy, and the Mega 290 when CRC are punting them out cheap.

I totally agree it’s an under-served niche – but I bet there must be a few things in the pipeline here and there.

andrextr
    Free Member

DMR Sled suspension analysis

[video]https://youtu.be/X2Jv775MPS0[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well in a curious way it did. I still meet and reminisce on the trails with fellow former Switchback owners, but it is a brand name with issues for DMR to be sure.

I loved mine, it was my first foray into ‘niche’ (at the time) bikes, away from 80mm travel alloy XC bikes. Loads of fun, the steering was ridiculously quick! Although I did eventually swap the frame for a 456.

Never cracked mine, although the seatpost seized and the next owner cracked the seatstay getting it out.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘DMR Sled (full sus)’ is closed to new replies.