• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • DIYTrackworld – Air Nailgun
  • boblo
    Free Member

C’mon then, what are people using for their air nailguns please? Just for general DIY/shed mancave/~50mm nail use and non of yer percussive sillyness thankyouverymuch… 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Looks on with interest.

When I was in Portland we bought a compressor, brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler with hoses and a ton of nails for about £200 from Home Depot. Amazing value, I thought I’ll get the same thing when I get home. Not a hope, each component was about £100.

marcus7
    Free Member

Bostich, can’t remember the model but for framing etc its fast and easy, nails are a bit pricey so pick carefully!

TheBrick
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member
    Looks on with interest.

When I was in Portland we bought a compressor, brad nailer, finish nailer and stapler with hoses and a ton of nails for about £200 from Home Depot. Amazing value, I thought I’ll get the same thing when I get home. Not a hope, each component was about £100.

aldi have had last week and may have some still in store a cheap compressor and nail gun on offer at the moment.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye but its pish – non standard connectors . Small 6mm hoses

By all accounts its not the same as previous ones which were the same as wolfs off ebay.

I use paslodes on big projects they are the mutts knuts. Cant imagine hauling a conpressor round for some of the builds ive done. And there finishing gun is a belter

Do remember in 1993 my grandad hiring a little 10 litre direct drive and a nail gun for framing his self build house. Back then that was quite unusual in our neck of the woods

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Home Depot one was a serious piece of kit, the clincher was that their own brand nails were cheap too.

I used it for picture framing, but could think of a hundred and one other uses.

boblo
    Free Member

Gonna show my ignorance here….

I want something for rough finishing (shed building, fencing etc). Is that a framing gun I’m looking for and how do they differ from finishing guns etc.

Sorry… 😳

trail_rat
    Free Member

Finishers have less power and fire smaller thinner nails.

Shed building guns fire massive nails through anything.

alpin
    Free Member

yeah… for knocking up a shed or similar frame then you want a framing gun.

finishing guns fire small 1.5mm wide brad nails. they don’t leave a gaping hole and are used for door architrave, skirting and other “neat” jobs.

Kevevs
    Free Member

This is very manly. *rubs thighs*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

boblo, you might also hear the guns referred to as “First Fix” (which is what you’re looking for) and “Second Fix” which is the same as a finishing nailer. Most manufacturers will do a version of each. I use a Paslode which are great, and were the industry standard when I bought it. But, in the last few years, lots of manufacturers have come out with equivalents, many of which I’m sure are quite good. Cheap nail guns are shit though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

When ever I hear nailgun I think of this.

boblo
    Free Member

So far we have Bostich and Paslode….Hmmmm, bit upmarket for my shed/fence enterprises really.

Anything a bit more in the DIY arena that isn’t crap/a complete liability?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Any of the 240v electric ones any good ?

Electric impact drivers impressed me enough to buy instead of pushing for an air one right now

maccruiskeen

if you want something to use in your shed (rather than to build a shed with) look at 16ga finish nailers. 18ga nails mess up/miss-fire too much. There are a gazillion generic brand ones out there and I’ve never found a bad one. Stocks of 16ga nails are easier to get hold of than 18ga too.

I buy the guns by the half dozen when I’ve got large acreages of film scenery to build. Bit of time and motion thought and a team six of use can turn out 500sqm a day.

narrow crown staplers are handy to for thin materials as they’re less prone to fire right though. Supplies of staples can be a bit sketchy – especially from the outlet you bought the nailer from (I’m looking at you screwfix). Nails are very standard – one gauge of nail fits all the guns of that size – but staples need to be very specific.

If you want to build sheds rather than work in a shed the framing nailers are more your thing, but while you can pick up an air finish nailer for £50- air framing nailers seem to be really pricy. So much so I just bought a gas nailer instead. At the time there were good deals on Hitachi ones (which were the old model paslode inside fancy plastic) Think I got it for about £200. With gas nailers its the cost of the nails/gas that mounts up though.

Off the peg the guns always seem to come fitted with the ‘Quick connect’ bayonets but ‘BSP’ ones are preferable and an easy change (except with one gun I bought where the quick connect one refuses to budge)

Any of the 240v electric ones any good ?

I don’t know how they manage it but 240v ones are rubbish, they just can’t knock a nail in. Its weird as battery ones are brilliant.

Really, though. Unless you are doing high volume work, as in thousands of nails an hour, just use screws.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Nice one Joolsburger! forgot that!

grahamt1980

Whatever you get, I predict that within 5 hours you will have set a target up 😀

maccruiskeen

Whatever you get, I predict that within 5 hours you will have set a target up

nailing custard cremes to things is where the fun is at

boblo
    Free Member

Screws? Screws?

I’ve been and bought my hard hat, tool belt and riggers boots…. I can’t use screws, they are so, so, so, feeble… I need a big matcho nail gun I do, don’t I? 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

you’re dad didn’t buy you an air pistol then? or just reliving the air pistol youth? DAMN I WANT A NAIL GUN TO PLAY WITH.. How far can you stand away from a tree and get a nail in proper??

project
    Free Member

Got a raspesco 240 volt,there was a recall a few years ago when they would fire on their own, when something else was plugged into the extension cable you where using, sent it back and got a brand new one.

Also got an air one from B and q, works well plenty of air, etc, fires 40 mm brads into mdf no problem.and no kick back.

boblo
    Free Member

I had a .177 Gatt, now that was feeble….

project
    Free Member

? DAMN I WANT A NAIL GUN TO PLAY WITH.. How far can you stand away from a tree and get a nail in proper??

you have to press the head down onsomething solid for uit to fire on most,, you cant just randomy fire unless you wire up the shoe.

maccruiskeen

Got a raspesco 240 volt,there was a recall a few years ago when they would fire on their own, when something else was plugged into the extension cable you where using

Now that is entertainment

you have to press the head down onsomething solid for uit to fire on most,

with air ones theres a lever that runs from the nose up the side of the gun so you can hold the hold that and fire. I sometime have to fire off a few round to clear jams. Theres very little momentum in them though, the don’t stick into anything they hit. The gun will fire a nail about 30 – 40 feet, but you could flick one that far with your finger.

TheBrick
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    Aye but its pish – non standard connectors . Small 6mm hoses

Never said anything to the contrary, I’m not a one for cheap air tools but its there and might be useful to someone depending on the job in hand.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Maybe but id rather the. Wolf off ebay for similar money or the sip airmate vertical 50l for 130 in costco

JoeG
    Free Member

I have one of these

It will drive 16d (3-1/2″) nails into pressure treated lumber all day long.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘DIYTrackworld – Air Nailgun’ is closed to new replies.