Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Diyers, MFT table
  • DT78
    Free Member

I want a MFT table. I can’t afford the frankly silly festool price.

I’ve seen plenty of people have built there own but I, a bit short on time, and I d rather spend time on the project than building a table, plus a jig seems to be close to a £100 (why are jigs so much?)

So I’m looking to buy. I’ve seen you can pick up a top for approx £50 and smaller fold down bench’s for £125 ish on eBay

What’s better portable foldable table or just using a top on sawhorses? Would I regret not spending the extra?

Any recommendations? I’ve seen formatic mentioned

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I have a workmate and I have just about done every DIY project/job going.
    I’m also an everything to a 10th of a mm type of guy and it’s a **** curse I can tell ye.
    Those Festools do look nice though.

revs1972
    Free Member

These look quite good, if you need something bigger then get a couple…

https://www.cncdesign.co.uk/tables-mft-tops.html

Not seen them in the flesh though

I’ve got a UJK parfdog bench which is pretty good, though just looking now they are £304 with the trestle legs. You can buy the frame only for around £108 and then get a £30 top from the place above. cut out the frame to suit a pair of sawhorses and its a fairly cheap setup

https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-technology-multifunction-workbench-frame-only-102540

Hobster
    Free Member

I bought a top from cncdesign and its spot on, with the dogs cuts accurately.

As its mdf it would need to be supported so some thick ply over sawhorses would be ideal.

nixie

@dt78 does this sort of table do what you need? https://www.manomano.co.uk/catalogue/p/wolfcraft-6906506-master-cut-1500-precision-saw-table-and-work-station-24443014?model_id=24423906

If so I have one you can have, not exactly that model but very similar.

scc999

I’ve got a MDF top from Formatic_CNC (from ebay).
    I’ve stuck it on some 2×4 to keep it rigid and flat and it’s been great. It’s made accurate cuts so simple for me, can’t recommend it enough.

Only issue I have is that my garage gets quite damp so some of the holes have swelled very slightly, which is a pain in the neck. I’ve sanded them very carefully so that the dogs fit pretty snugly, I expect that come summer (if it gets hot and dry) there may be some play.

So I’m trying to figure out the best way to get / make a water resistant version.
    First thought is birch ply, not sure if that will suffer from the same problem of the holes swelling or not.

I may end up getting a jig so I can try different materials, it’s a big investment though.

simon_g

I got a MFT top from lasersmith, despite free shipping was here next day from NI. Used a 20mm forstner bit to loosen up the holes very slightly so my benchdogs are snug but can be put in and out by hand.

You cut slightly into the top itself so just stick on any other bench or trestles and go.

DT78
    Free Member

@nixie not exactly, however a table saw is on my list of future wants (though the plan was after the workshop build!). Is it working ok? If you want to pass on I’m interested

Re using a workmate, impressed if you can cut sheet on one of those. I currently have 4 Stanley workhorses and tend to put a bit of scrap ply on top

I have a benchdogs fence on its way.

Those tables on cnc look good, made from ply to, as I’m also worried a slightly damp garage would knackered MDF. Is it MR MDF ? Still issues with swelling?

nixie

@dt78 It worked fine the one time I used it. I was given it by a friend who upgraded. If you wanted it your welcome to it (also welcome to look). It is currently taking space that I want my car to occupy soon.

DT78
    Free Member

@nixie Great I’ll take you up on that, I’ll drop you a pm

finishthat
    Free Member

I have the rscnc mdf top – bought with digs kit and put it on the ukj base, and the trestles they suggested at the time they were on offer.
    That adds up to about 170 or so , later I got the rscnc knock together table in ply for about 99 I think.
    Both are OK the knock together is quite rigid but tight to pull apart, the ukj base is very rigid but heavy and the trestles are steady but take up a lot of space underneath .
    I would look at some of the folding offerings about 150 I think as they look quick and easy to erect/stow if space is an issue. Otherwise get a pre cut top and integrate it how you need it – existing worktop or make your own base to suit what you need.
    There are also a few interesting folding designs to be made from plans out there and they make a good project in themselves, jigs to build your own .. rscnc have one for 30 , some cost a lot more , what they all do is take time and care to get something you can buy quite cheaply , even custom sized.
    Dogs and clamps are another cost m the rscnc kit for 50 is a great starter pack, + a couple of Axminster clamps .

scc999

In case anyone comes across the same issue with the holes in the top swelling a little, Axminster are soon to release a specific tool to fix that issue! Costs £17 which isn’t too bad at all.

https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-parf-system-reamer-for-20mm-holes-107586

There’s a video showing it here.

Will be ordering one when they are in stock.

Si

andyb39
    Free Member

This is a good one if you’re after something portable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Diyers, MFT table’ is closed to new replies.