Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DIY world – textured ceiling
  • richmtb

Hi folks,

The “artex” in the kitchen has to go. Polycell do a product called SmoothOver. It sounds reasonably straightforward. Has anyone used it. I’ve heard textured ceilings can be a total PITA so I’m willing to try something that will make it easier

wrightyson
    Free Member

Scrape off big lumps.
    Pva
    Overskim

matt_outandabout

Get new plasterboard up and skimmed – we tried one product like that and it didn’ work; another plasterer reckoned he could skim over another ceiling – again, did not work (that at least stayed on, you could just see the marks still when painted).
    Re-board it yourself and pay someone to skim it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flap_jack
    Free Member

Didn’t work for me. I ended up putting a second layer of plasterbaord and having it plastered.

Good luck.

richmtb

Thanks folks sounds like it might be a bigger job than I thought

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Any plasterer should be able to skim over it easily. I do it all the time in new houses, for some reason the always have artex ceilings. If you wet it down, like you were stripping paper, it scrapes off super easy, right back to the board

robbo76
    Free Member

You scrap all the big bits of then a layer of bonding then you skim it

mick_r

Artex can have asbestos in it so maybe best to leave it where it is unless you can get a bit tested to check (only costs £10-£20 for a test direct with a UKAS lab).

We had out bedroom ceiling skimmed over. I primed it with new good quality PVA prior to plasterer skimming it. The result was quite good (not as perfect as new boards but still OK) and has stayed in place for the last year with no cracks etc. Plasterer cost less than 2 tubs of that Polycell junk and result far far better.

We had a fairly subtle random pattern to cover up – if you have some big regular geometric artex swirly horror then it might still show through in some light conditions.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 on asbestos. Worth a look on the HSE website for up-to-date guidance.

project
    Free Member

Remember if you do reboard the ceiling, to switch off the power and remove the fuse before you take off the lamp rose, had a job recladding a ceiling,home owner had disconnected rose left bare cables sticking therough ceiling, me in attic puilled cable back through ceiling, loud bang, darkness and me thrown accross loft, not a nice experience.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DIY world – textured ceiling’ is closed to new replies.