Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DIY Wood Burning Stove Help
  • MrGrim

I’ve bought this wee wood burner to go in the corner of my office/workshop.

The building is a converted summer house at the top of the garden. I’m planning to place the stove on thick slate. There will be about 30cm between the burner and the walls at each right angled side. I’m putting up some fire board on top of the plasterboard at each side as well.

Is there a best practice for flue type? Are there regulations I need to follow? My main concern is that it is a wooden building. I’ve seen cheap 4″ diameter flue sections for £25 for 2.5m saying they are fine for DIY flue’s, but I’ve also seen more expensive vitreous enamel flue’s

I’m trying to keep it to as cheap a budget as possible, but at the same time want to do the job properly so that it is safe and lasts a long time.

Anyone share there own DIY builds? Obviously mine doesn’t need to look amazing as it is just there to boil my water and heat the place up.

Stoner
    Free Member

depends how much of the regs you want to stick to.

If it was my shed at the bottom of the garden Id be pretty blase about it 🙂

dont bother with vitreous enamal flue, its only aesthetic.

Twin wall is required when passing through wall or ceiling, and it’s handy when outside to maintain the heat in the flue gasses and aid drawing. But it’s not necc. And indeed its pref to have single wall as it comes out of the burner anyway.

In which case, some cast iron down pipe straight out of the roof would suffice! 🙂

but you are supposed to have clear stand off around the flue as it passes through the roof. You then need storm collars and baffles to prevent drafts and leaks around the void where the flue goes through the roof.

Id use some steel straps as brackets etcs and then probably some rockwool insulation, but thats probably all very wrong so dont ask me.

MrGrim

There’s a plasterboard ceiling before cutting through to the wooden roof, which has the usual felt covering. I was going to cut a square section out of the plasterboard to allow the flue to pass freely then make a closer cut through the roof with shielding around the hole.

Is twin wall a requirement. It will be passing through the ceiling/roof and going about 600mm above the roofline.

totalshell

lots of regs which may or may not apply if you diy in my shed i d leave the 300mm all round mount on a 50mm hearth at least 300mm bigger alll round than the stove , i’d go twin wall through the ceiling then a length of pipe dont leave it open ended and away you go.. disclaimer dont do this it at home

Dobbo

As an aside, where did you get it, I like…a lot!

MrGrim

Thanks for the replies. Will start on it when I get back from holiday.

Dobbo – I got it from a seller on Ebay. Only paid £50 + postage (£15 i think). It’s basically a gas bottle with extra bits welded on and heat painted. Do a search for “gas bottle log burner” on eBay and i’m sure you’ll find a few.

Dobbo

Cheers, I’ll get searching!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Looks like it should have wheels and a carriage behind! I’m presuming it’s got adjustable air inlets somewhere. Let us know how you get on with it.

supertramp
    Free Member

I have a stove in my outbuilding office, I learnt quite a lot while installing it. I also have a contact for cheap vitreous enamelled pipe. My email addy is in my profile if I can be of any assistance.

MrGrim

It’s been a while since I posted the original thread, but i’ve been gradually buying bits and getting on with this when the time and weather has allowed.

Massive thank you to Supertramp who help me out a lot via email proving some great advice.

There are still some bits I need to do, like remove the socket shown in the pictures which is currently covered in heat reflective tape. Although i’ve had a decent fire lit for four hours now and the tape is still cold to touch. I’ve also to put some fireboard up on the surrounding walls.

Cost wise for everything it has been just over £200 including buying the stove. The twinwall flue was the most expensive purchase.

It’s obviously not anywhere near regulation standard, but it provides loads of heat for the small space I use as an office and general man space.

bedmaker

Nice one. Good call with the twinwall through the roof. I’ve seen a couple of burnt out caravans with single wall through the roof, a properly dodgy practice.

MrGrim

Definitely, the single walled portion gets pretty hot so I’m glad I didn’t stick that in through the roof space.

Stoner
    Free Member

hadnt seen the follow up to this. That’s nicely put together.

How is the twin-wall flashed into the roof?

messiah
    Free Member

Thank’s for sharing MrGrim.

I’m liking the gas bottle stove and if I can do this super cheap the summerhouse may well get some use through the winter.

Bookmarked for later use 8)

MrGrim

Just noticed these replies 🙂

Stoner – It’s a rubber boot gaiter and I’ve used high temp adhesive along with high temp liquid rubber to seal it onto the roof. I went overboard with a lot of it and it’s probably safer than it needed to be. I’ve not taken temp measurements of the twinwall as it goes through the roof space, but it’s cool enough after 4 hours of fire to touch. The single wall flue inside however provides excellent additional heat.

Messiah – No worries, I hope it helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DIY Wood Burning Stove Help’ is closed to new replies.