Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DIY tv aerial alignment
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Loathe as I am to pay anyone to do something I can do…

…is this feasible? Assuming I can get to the roof ok (there’s one in the loft also but I can’t see where the lead comes out).

There’s a prize for the first person to mention Rod Hull. Looks like I t won it!

wwaswas

can you see which way all the other houses aerials point or are they all in the roofs?

Mr_C
    Free Member

Some TVs and set top boxes give you a signal strength meter. Obviously you need someone at the other end looking at it as carrying a 46″ tv up a ladder could end badly.

patriotpro
    Free Member

left a bit, right a bit, now don’t move – job done

soobalias
    Free Member

ive got a thingy you plug the cable into and displays the signal strength, was really handy when we lived in a poor signal area with loft aerials.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers, mine points in the same direction (roughly) as others (to Fife).

One of my pvrs has a signal strength meter too.

I just wondered if there were any secrets.

brakes
    Free Member

you can get apps for smartphones which show you where the nearest transmitters are and which direction to point your aerial at.
    the app I used was a bit clunky but it worked.

EDIT: it was called UK Aerial Alignment (Android)

Drac

Compass and Google the bearing that’s all I did but put mine in the loft as there was no need to go on the roof.

VanMan
    Free Member

Same method as Drac, just remember to keep the compass away from metal or the job takes longer 😳

Sandwich

Don’t take the emu with you though. These are not an asset when ladder climbing.

Drac

Same method as Drac, just remember to keep the compass away from metal or the job takes longer

I used my phone

This was the site I used for the bearing.

http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounding good Gents, thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DIY tv aerial alignment’ is closed to new replies.