Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DIY-Trackworld: Which screwdriver?
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

My old B&D screwdriver has given up the ghost and I need a replacement for furniture assembly duties ASAP. What do the DIY massive recommend?

badgerbater
    Free Member

Missed the words “rechargeable electric”. Moving house and I’m anticipating plenty of dissembley and reassembley of flatpack furniture!

daftvader
    Free Member

Dewalt drill driver, had one for a couple of years now and its been flawless …

badgerbater
    Free Member

daftvader – so you’d recommend the Dewalt over a conventional cordless screwdriver; just wondered if it’s compact enough to get into fiddly areas?

CountZero
    Northwind

I picked up a cheapo black and decker lipo one last year, it gets used quite a lot- mostly to motorise my lathe mind, not that much unpiloted screw work but it’s been really good, and pretty much ideal for flatpack, nuts and bolts, light woodwork etc. I’d more or less sworn off orange.

Drill-driver is better if you’re actually building things from scratch, I reckon, never found a compact electric screwdriver which has the torque to push decent sized screws into wood without a pilot.

daftvader
    Free Member

What they said! After using the first gen of the electric screwdrivers I thought they were crap… now have a set of stubbie normal ones for fiddly bits.

kfish
    Free Member

Bosch ixo is the business

nickjb
    Free Member

These will do a proper job with screws. Fairly compact to get to the fiddly bits,too

http://www.its.co.uk/pd/LCT204W-Makita-10.8v-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-2-Piece-Kit-_MAKLCT204W.htm

Quick Google link. Shop around for best price

spooky_b329

I’ve got those Makita ones, pretty good. The impact drive makes an incredible amount of nose but will drive a big 6″ screw into a softwood sleeper, you wouldn’t want to do many though! I got them from screwfix in a more traditional plastic box.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, or should that be impact (!); plenty to look at. Many thanks all.

oldboy
    Free Member

I just bought one of these, which I think was quite a good deal:

http://www.its.co.uk/pd/6271DWPE-Makita-12v-Cordless-Drill-Driver-_MAK6271DWPE.htm

trail_rat
    Free Member

10.8bosch blue off of screwfix is 70 quid,

For fiddly screws what is needed is a flex extension. Much more of a must than a stubby driver ime,

For screw driver tips look at wera laser tips

curvature
    Free Member

The 10.8v Bosch drills are smaller than the Makita.

All my gear is Makita but bought the Bosch 10.8 based on their smaller size.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DIY-Trackworld: Which screwdriver?’ is closed to new replies.