Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • DIY tiling disaster
  • andylc
    Free Member

If it is travertine then I’d think you have a reasonable chance of getting matches. Some websites allow you to specify sizes and they order them direct from the quarry – this is how I did my kitchen with travertine and it was much cheaper than buying it from a major outlet.

FB-ATB

Could you turn it into a recess to store shower gel etc? Use similar coloured tiles and they’ll be mainly hidden by the bottles.

sandboy

If your tiles measure 400x250mm I’ve just found 3 tiles in the garage that look a good match?

tthew

Does the tiling extend to the 4th wall? If you’re going to refurb in the medium term, I’d take all that off, plaster it, (or get it patched, wouldn’t cost THAT much) and paint then use those to repair all needed around the bath.

singletrackmind

I think i have a box of those tiles spare
    Can you pleae measure ine and i will have a look see this afto
    Marble version cresm to almost pink bit like dried plaster colour
    And grout as well

dogbone

I’d take down the tiles in the ‘shower’ bit, including where the shower head is. At least you create a visually understandable zone. Tank the wall as best you can.

https://www.toolstation.com/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/p71005

Then tile with a mosaic tile of similar tone.

https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/maha/maha-matt-white-mosaic-tile

It’ll be a bit of a bodge but not too jarring.

voodoo-rich

Can’t help with the tiling, but chips to enamel baths can be fixed… muppet builders fitted new bath, tiled it in, dropped a tile etc…

We used https://www.bathrescue.co.uk/ 2 years ago, no issues since, near-impossible to spot the repair! Local to us, but must be similar firms around the country,

fingerbang
    Free Member

@ sandboy , @ single-track mind

Thatd be amazing, I’m in clitheroe but obvs will travel.

Tiles are 398 x 246. That must be 400 x 250 standard size though

I’ve got 2 boxes of similar looking from b&q so fingers crossed. It’ll be a bodge job as I think long term I’m going tasteful wet wall, and get rid of sea of tiles underneath the sink and put some skirting there

Thanks for replies, I’m being well looked after by STW. God bless you all

BurnBob
    Free Member

Create a shallow niche into the wall. Use existing tiles removed for the edges and have a contrasting back.

dmorts

Elements board is what you need https://youtu.be/Cn_KD5HfYH0?t=425

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

It it’s travertine and you’ve grouted (or used some adhesive/grout combo) and let it dry like that on the tile then you’ve just killed a bunch more.
    Looks like paperfaced gypsum backer..and tile installed with mastic. Once wet it’s f**ked and looses all strength
    If you knock on each tile you’ll hear which are loose.
    Imo you’ll need new backer where it’s wet before trying to retile..I’d be looking at cutting out the tile and backer for the rest of those first 4 courses…valve side as well likely as that corner will have failed and been a point of ingress. Probably wet all round your valve fixing etc too.
    Fingers crossed for a close match!

singletrackmind

Bugger my tiles are 500 x 250 so thats a non starter
    Shame
    Aquaboard was designed for bathroom use, proofed gypsum iirc
    Could you not mosaic in a pattern instead or buy a sheet of coloured gleass, tempered and overlay with that

finbar
    Free Member

Wetwall advocates – any links to the nice stuff please? I like the idea but everything I’ve seen (including the stuff in my dad’s bathroom) reminds me of being in a Travelodge.

perchypanther
    Free Member

These are the ones that we generally fit for clients. Decent quality but probably still towards the more commercial end of the spectrum.
    Something like the Iranian Travertine is pretty close to the look that the OP already has.

https://www.rearo.co.uk/bathroom/laminate-wall-panels/

Other more fancy and designery products are available.

Best bet is to go to a bathroom showroom where you can see it in the flesh. It’s hard to gauge the look from t’internet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have a concrete grey travertine style in my bathroom on three walls the 4th wall is bright.

Certainly doesnt look like any travel lodge/swimming pool/ old persons home i’ve been in .

That was much more of an issue before when i had tiles because generally old people have tiled bathrooms because the bathrooms are generally old.

Go look – even the same colour looks very different in the flesh and even across brands.

franksinatra

Wetwall advocates – any links to the nice stuff please? I like the idea but everything I’ve seen (including the stuff in my dad’s bathroom) reminds me of being in a Travelodge.

We got Fibo panels through Plumbstore. They are an interlocking laminate. You genuinely cannot see the seam at all. The finish is excellent but for anything other than a simple flat wall, I would recommend getting a very good joiner to fit. You could waste a lot of money if the finish isn’t perfect unless if you are very handy with tools.

Like you I always thought of Travel Lodge or YHA when I thought of wet wall, fortunately things have moved on a lot!

devbrix
    Free Member

They look like Travertine stone tiles. You should be able to replace no problem if they are, just take the original to a decent tile merchant and they will match them and they can be oiled to darken if necessary.

fettlin

Option J, take the course of tiles off above the bog round to the window (and opposite wall if it runs around that side as well).

Paint down to new level then you’ve got loads of tiles left just in case any more get broke.

funkmasterp

Put the smashed tiles back on and then go at the rest with a toffee hammer to give it that shabby chic/crazy paving look.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, how did it go in the end?

fingerbang
    Free Member

Hi mate, nothing yet. I can only DIY on Sunday and last Sunday was a write off as I’d wrecked my back.

I’m going to crack on this Sunday and just replace with similar tiles, ignoring all the kind advice to retile whole bathroom

I’ll get some photos up 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck fella.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Ayup, I finally got round to finishing the tile job today. So, for the sake of a resolving this, here is the final job. Like i said, I went for the path of least resistance. Which does nt really solve the underlying problem of the plaster which I don’t think is properly tanked. I put some waterproofing on it before adhesive but not a proper job really

All I did was go to b&q and get some similar tiles. The ones I got were not too bad, although were gloss whereas originals are Matt. Special thanks to sandboy for offering me some free tiles.anyway, thanks for any contributions and your interest

tjagain

You did take the bath panel off to check for spare tiles under it? Reasonably common to put a few spares under the bath

Garry_Lager

I’d be well happy with that – my DIY standards are fairly low, mind, so don’t take that as an endorsement 🙂 Looks Bob on though given what you were working with.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Wet wallers, what do you put on the floor?

Can you hang stuff on it? If you need To put a loo or basin up does that squash the board?

spooky_b329

Or behind the kitchen kick boards, I put spare tiles for my whole house under there 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Lawn needs mowing, otherwise not bad 6.5/10

Oggles
    Free Member

Or behind the kitchen kick boards, I put spare tiles for my whole house under there 🙂

Genius. This just freed up some shelf space in the garage!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘DIY tiling disaster’ is closed to new replies.