Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • DIY Smart phone screen replacement
  • mugsys_m8

Has anyone ever replaced a screen and digitiser on a smart phone. Specifically a HTC Desire S. My screen has developed some dead spots and has started being affected by touches when not touched. Have seen sources for the parts. Just wondering how realistic it is as a DIY project with no real fiddly electronics experience nor tools.

Over to the fountain of all knowledge. Cheers.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Go steady and put all the screws in the order they came out in the shape they were in the phone.

Half hour job, tools should come with the digitizer.

Or send it to me and i’ll do it.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

…I’ve done it on an iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4 and would describe it as “chuffin’ fiddly”. The screen kits I bought included the tools necessary but it also took a very steady hand and about 2hrs each. (I’d say I was normally pretty happy with having a go at taking things apart and tinkering).
    Have a look over on ifixit etc. to see if there are any guides – and double check to see if the cost of a 2nd hand one might make it more attractive than repairing the one you’ve got.. Good luck!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wysiwyg
    Free Member

Theres no desire guides on ifixit, its easier job than an iphone. 4s takes roughly 30 mins.

tinribz
    Free Member

Have done a couple of phones, usually there is a youtube vid to show you how.

mugsys_m8

wysiwyg, many thanks. DO you have any preferred suppliers for such parts?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

As its a digitizer only no, they’re all much of a muchness. You can buy a cheap one with crap glass or a cheap with great, and visa versa.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘DIY Smart phone screen replacement’ is closed to new replies.