• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DIY image hosting (ahem… affordable)
  • tillydog
    Free Member

I’m fed up with buggering about with free image hosting and the moving sands of Flickr, Photobucket, etc. and would like something under my control where I can upload images (ftp if necessary) and then be able to link to them in forums such as this. I’m beggared if I’m going to pay the above sites for the privilege when I (suspect) that I can get something under my own control for similar outlay (or less). I don’t need anything like an ‘album’ front end; just somewhere to dump the files (probably ~1500 images).

After being burned by a ‘free’ forum disappearing, I may also like to host some of my words of wisdom for the masses on a web site (preferably as old fashioned web pages with some overall structure, not in a blog style template).

I presume that if I get a ‘web hosting’ package from someone that it’ll do both jobs – is that right?

I’ve got a domain hosted by Fasthosts, but it looks like their web hosting packages are ~£6 / month (I’d prefer to pay less than that, but not really into chasing offers & moving every year or so).

Usage will be purely personal – no selling, and no need to claw myself up search rankings.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at? One.com?

ajaj
    Free Member

I would use S3 in website hosting mode (but there is a slight risk of big bills) or a cheap virtual host like Chunkhost or Digital Ocean. There are much, much cheaper hosting packages but I have no experience of them.

maccruiskeen

their web hosting packages are ~£6 /

I’ve been with unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk for ages – their package  is £3.50 a month – use that for several domains / hosted sites and for hosting several email accounts. There a £1/ month intro offer on just now

tinribz
    Free Member

Standard S3 hosting would be fine for image hosting. Costs less than 3p a Gb storage and half a pence for 10k requests.

leffeboy

Sounds like you need basic web hosting – pick whoever

If you wanted to go photo hosting then I’ve been using SmugMug for years and it seems to work very well.  If you want your own domain I think you need the power package though which is a bit pricier.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Pinkbike then link to here.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you go your own hosting then you need to do a bit of housekeeping and create a folder hierarchy so you can keep the shots in reasonable order and then link like http ://host-address/my-name/peak/photo-1.jpg, etc.

I use Imgur which is currently free, just make sure you’ve resized the images before you upload otherwise it takes a while to push them.

In fact resizing images before uploading is good etiquette anyway – you can always tell who doesn’t do it as their shots take ages to appear on any thread, they’ve just pushed the images from their phone so everyone else has to download a series of 5mb photos rather than something like 250kb per shot.

tillydog
    Free Member

Thanks folks. There seem to be options around for ~£30 – £40 PA which won’t break the bank.

(Yes, I’m prepared to resize / file images as appropriate.)

Greybeard
    Free Member

I use wiserhosting.com – small outfit, seem helpful, £24/year.

pdw
    Free Member

Recommending my own company, but one of our standard web hosting accounts should do what you want:

https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting

We’ve not change the price of our standard account in the 20 years that we’ve been going, but the spec has gone up a fair bit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DIY image hosting (ahem… affordable)’ is closed to new replies.