Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 'DIY' food: Home enthusiasts'
  • Swelper
    Free Member

As the title suggests and with linky.

DIY Food Enthusiasts

Im quite liking the cheese myself

So with that in mind, whats your DIY Food recipies

molgrips
    Free Member

I must post up a picture of our carrots.. 🙂

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Like the look of that dryer for the Biltong. Just started bottling the first of our ‘sun dried’ tomatoes. Must be a cheaper way than using the oven on the lowest setting with the door open. can see a DIY project on the horizon for the weekend……..

john_drummer
    Free Member

Malted barley
    Hops
    Water
    Yeast
    Plus one to two weeks

Equals beer

Stoner
    Free Member

Just picked up some pancetta & haricot to make some homemade baked beans later this week.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

That cheese does look a bit extreme!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I caught this on the wireless on the way home. I could listen to that sort of stuff all day. Blokes in sheds making cheese and cider, what’s not to like?

molgrips
    Free Member

what’s not to like?

The cheese and the cider?

ransos
    Free Member

I do my own smoked salmon every Christmas. You need a fish smoker like this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/FLADEN-36-1230-Fladen-Outdoor-Smoker/dp/B0024V9P68/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_1

Buy a whole salmon and have the fishmonger fillet it. Cover the fillets with a very liberal quantity of fine sea salt, some brown sugar and any other flavourings you fancy. Wrap in clingfilm, stick in the fridge and leave overnight.

Wash off the salt thoroughly, place the fillets on racks or direct onto an oven shelf, and set it to “defrost” so the fan runs but there’s no heat. Alternatively you could use an electric fan – the idea is to get the fish completely dry.

After a couple of hours you’re ready to smoke the fish. Fire up the smoker and put some soaked hardwood chips in the bottom – I use oak and applewood, but you can experiment.

Once the smoker is hot, you can smoke the fish. I find 30 minutes or so is enough, but do check it’s cooked through. Leave to cool and enjoy. It freezes very well so I always make loads.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘'DIY' food: Home enthusiasts'’ is closed to new replies.