Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • DIY ers in da house
  • D28boy
    Free Member

Hi looking for some expert advice re an unattached towel rail.

Basically my incapacitated son lent on the towel rail and ripped it out of the wall. This resulted in two larger holes were the rawl plugs were fitted in a cheap plasterboard wall. The plasterboard/wall is very powdery so if I fill the hole with polyfiller it doesn’t take. I’ve tried fitting bigger rawl plugs but they just come out as well. Is there any way of fixing this back on without just moving the whole thing an inch or so left or right (which would mean that it no longer central in the short wall it’s mounted on)…

I’m fed up with this as I’ve had four attempts already!

qwerty
    Free Member

Use those plasterboard fixings that expand in the void? Name escapes me bit I’m sure someone will be along in a min with the name. Look on Screwfix website or google Fischer fixings.

MadPierre

Fill void with expanding foam and shove in plasterboard fixings before it sets. once set you can finish nicely and attach rail

maccruiskeen

if the hole hasn’t gotten too big then these screw in wall fixings grip plasterboard better than rawlplugs

Screw in fixings

If the plasterboard is pretty ropey though you might be better screwing a batten to the wall – screwing to the timbers behind the boards- then screwing the rail to that

Murray

If the hole is big, poke a bit of plaster board (or even cardboard) through the hole and fix with NoMoreNails against the back of the existing board. You may need to use a screw in the board to allow you to pull it flush. When it’s done, remove the screw and fill as normal. Then mount your rail on the studs not the board 🙂

beaker2135

I’d go down the route Murray suggested as far as filling, then mount the rad using Spit Driva or similar screw in fixing. You can’t fit it to the studs if they are in the wrong place.
    Alternatively move it up or down instead of left to right to keep it central

sugdenr
    Free Member

Whot Murray said except use as long a piece of wood batten as you can get into each hole, then fill and rail mount will screw to the batten. If filler is not taking just wet plasterboard edges wiht water and if you have it a touch of pva to seal/bond it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’d go with them screw-in plugs. They’re fairly secure.

If the holes too big for them, repair the board as murray/sugdenr suggests.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

+1 fix the board and screw some stuff in.

D28boy
    Free Member

thanx everyone…..

thepurist

Nobody’s mentioned slopping a bit of watered down PVA glue over the holes to bind the dust before you fill, so I will.

drummer
    Free Member

Yep I would do PVA on the dust,Polyfilla, Screw in Fixings … then clip my Son round the ear

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘DIY ers in da house’ is closed to new replies.