Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • DIY Drilling Tiles pls
  • towzer

Hi

are tile drills worth it and any specific tips

– put tape on tile
    – don’t apply with pressure
    – ????

thanks

tthew

Use a Masonary drill,
    Use a slow speed.
    (+ your two tricks)

davosaurusrex

Mark spot with pen, use a standard woodscrew (a nice sharp new one)and ‘dink’ it with a hammer on said spot. This should take a small chip off the glaze, then use an SDS bit but on drill not hammer to go through the tile, then use hammer action to drill into masonry behind. I’ve used diamond tipped tile bits before and they’re a waste of money IMO, this was years ago mind so they might have improved since

wolly
    Free Member

For the sake of £3 tile drill bit and nice and steady

finishthat
    Free Member

Go to Wickes buy tile drills – make sure hammer action is OFF – drill through tiles – marvel at the neat holes.

Seriously do not hit anything with a hammer – cracked tiles look shit forever.

kcal

Tip I used was to use masking tape to give the drill bit something to attach to, rather than just float about. Seemed to work..

simonbowns
    Free Member

yep, tile bit well worth it. keep it cool too.

davosaurusrex

Put 200 towel rails up in a new hotel when I was an apprentice using that technique, didn’t crack a single tile, 1200 holes if memory serves. But if you’re ham fisted give Wickes your money. And I didn’t say “hit” I said “dink” which is an industry recognised technical term as any fule no.

crankboy
    Free Member

Tile drill . In a hand drill . Use a bit of tape on the tile to avoid slipping.

angeldust
    Free Member

What if the tiles are porcelain?

russ295
    Free Member

Run the drill in reverse to start it off. Then forwards with out hammer.

nealglover
    Free Member

Never seen anyone in the trade use a tile drill.

I’ve installed countless bathrooms and I’ve never used a tile drill.

Never cracked a tile or made a mess drilling through a tile either.

Masonry bit, hammer off, push the bit against the tile slightly to mark the glaze so it won’t slip, drill tile.

It’s really that easy.

nealglover
    Free Member

What if the tiles are porcelain?

Diamond core bits and water cooling.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I bought a tile drill bit and it is absolutely painless.
    Hammer off and slow speed.
    I am completely handless amd mever cracked a tile. Well worth £3.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you already have a masonry bit, then it was £3 wasted 😉

(If you don’t, then fair enough)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I do actually use a tile drill bit, Black and Decker Piranha. they are quicker than masonry drills and make a cleaner hole, only drill the tile with them though, not the wall. Oh, and NEVER drill in the joint, you may get away with it but if anything is gonna break a tile, this is it!

Std masonary is fine though, without hammer if required. I ‘mark’ the tile with the tip of it 1st to stop it slipping on the glaze.

RicB

Having recently done this (two mirrors, two shelves, toiletry holder) I found the best way is:

Mark with masking tape
    Use a 6mm tile bit (£4 and makes drilling the hole in exactly the right place much easier than a masonry bit)
    Drill for 8 secs, then dip bit in water to lubricate, then repeat.
    Avoid a diamond core bit – £14 and utterly bobbins
    6mm hole through tile
    Switch to 5mm bit as soon as you hit the adhesive (I used a new HSS bit as it was only going through adhesive and plasterboard)
    Red plugs inserted flush with the tile
    no. 6 screws

Edric64
    Free Member

Tile bit and tape over the tile to stop slipping .FFS dont use a hammer and screw/nail to mark it

wwaswas

If you’re working over a bath or sink put a piece of ply over the bath or put towels etc just in it as cushioning in case you get all butter fingered and drop a tool.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘DIY Drilling Tiles pls’ is closed to new replies.