DIY chimney flue install

Home Forum Chat Forum DIY chimney flue install

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DIY chimney flue install
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I think that at least part of this process may be illegal to diy?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

It’s not illegal to do yourself but you will need to get HETA inspection done for insurance.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

… and building regs sign off. It’s notifiable work so you need to get them involved before you start.

konagirl

Our insurance doesn’t require a HETA inspection… It does require the works to comply with Building Regulations. And if you want to sell your house in the near future, you will need the certificate saying so. You can do this via a HETAS registered engineer or you can get the Council to inspect. We paid £100 + VAT to have the inspector come out twice, discuss the plans with us and sign off the works.

In respect of the OP’s question, we did it with the help of a neighbour who was willing to go on the roof! 1) Use a nose cone on the liner. Connect to some rope that can be used to pull the liner through. 2) feed the liner from the roof down – use gravity to assist pulling the liner through the chimney. 3) Remember to get the chimney swept before you try pulling the liner through. 4) Expect that the sweep did not do a very good job and get tons of coal soot, clinker and birds nests into the living room :). You have options with how you hold the liner up at the top of the chimney, a suspending cowl on top of the chimney pot or mortaring in a plate and clamp beneath the pot. Remember a bird guard.

Ours was hard work because our chimney is very narrow and the downstairs chimney weaves tightly to the left to run alongside the first floor fireplace and chimney. If you have a bigger chimney, it should be easy, provided you are happy with heights.

Premier Icon Bushwacked
    Subscriber

gearsuck – is this your sister?? 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZjdgU0asM[/video]

Premier Icon Bushwacked
    Subscriber

Chimney is fairly straight, recently swept and until recently has been used regularly as a gas fire and then once or twice as an open fire until the neighbours complained of smoke in their house, this is how I know it needs a liner 😉 Haven’t used the fire since we found out for obvious reasons.

konagirl

Although you are right, an incorrectly installed appliance can easily kill a family, there is also no implication from the OP’s post that he hasn’t read the Building Regs and / or does not understand what needs to be done to install a stove safely. He was asking how easy it is to get a bit of flexi down a narrow space.

And of course you are right that a liner is not necessarily required, but most stoves these days are designed to be used with a 6″ flexi liner and so it is the easiest way to ensure the correct draw on the appliance.

EDIT: Just read the above post… so yes you need a liner!

Premier Icon Bushwacked
    Subscriber

We’re thinking of installing a woodburner in our fireplace. We know it needs a liner so I’m thinking of doing it myself.

Anyone done it themselves? How did you get on if you did?

B.

spchantler

do it, get the scaffolding which should be about 300 quid, drop the ball down to check for width restrictions, and go for it. bear in mind your chimney probably has a couple of bends in it, try and send the liner down so it wants to bend the way the chimney bends. connect to the appliance and fit register plate. i would strongly recommend pouring vermiculite round the liner, you mix it with cement and a small amount of water and pour it down, helps greatly with insulating the gases as they evacuate, stopping them condensing. good luck

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

If you feel confident and have help then do it and as said up there get building control to sign it off.

I reckon the cost of flue and other bits would have cost our installer
    £350ish, therefore they made £700 before costs.
    You could defo save a load of dosh DIYing it.

b r

It’s not illegal to do yourself but you will need to get HETA inspection done for insurance.

Not in Scotland.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

It’s not illegal to do it yourself – and HETAS don’t have to be involved whatsoever.

If you can do the job competently according to Part J of Building Regulations, you can apply to Building Control, submit it as a building notice (couple of hundred quid), and they will inspect the work and sign it off.

trail_rat

Br

Its good but bad up here. Folks still chance their arm

I found half a coal scuttle crudely welded to the register plate and rammed up the inside of my chimney wheni pulled it apart to return the chimney breast and hearth to its original shape. – glad i did take it apart really .

simoncb1

Ring me and I’ll talk you through it. Simon 01273702049

sicklilpuppy

If ypu are burning, or planning on burning coal ever you will need a 904 grade liner, otherwise 316 grade will be ok. There is a big differance in price between grades. Also you’ll nedd to get the correct diameter for your appliance, its ok to go larger than specc’d, but not smaller. 6″ is a fairly standard diameter for the liner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DIY chimney flue install’ is closed to new replies.