Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DIY Chain guide. help please
  • Paul-j

does anyone know where a can buy a small amount of proprietary elastomeric. Its the same stuff the guides on a straitline guide are made of.

Also does any one in the oxford area have either a e-thirteen LG chain guide or startling guide with iscg old mounts that I can ask for a few measurements?

Thanks inadvance

Matt_SS_xc

my old boss back in the day – muddy fox DH racer in 90’s used to use farm yard toy animals (the plastic ones for children) as the top guide, swore they were the most secure and quiet method..wish I had a picture, could be an option?

Paul-j

Good idea that. Thanks

jam-bo

proprietary elastomeric

If that’s what straitline say it is I guess your best off asking them…

Paul-j

well not overly fussed if its not the same stuff. just need a a block of hard wearing plastic type stuff, that i can cut about and shap and put some threads in at certain points. like the idea of the toys.

Rockape
    Free Member

What about that plastic they make those modern chopping boards out of it seams hard wearing. 💡

Paul-j

bloody good idea that rockape. now just need a measure up. might order one then send it back i think.

Rockape
    Free Member

It’s just an idea but they do seem to take abuse. Chain abuse might prove diffrent but at least it’d be a cheap start. Let us know how you get on it would be interesting to see your how it goes.

lurchh
    Free Member

I made my own from some polycarbonate and low-friction plastic with a hacksaw, drill and file.

Works a treat, I have yet to drop the chain.

takisawa2

You want a block of Acetal. Drop me an email with some dims & I’ll have a look. Our model maker usually has some odd blocks knocking about. Cuts nicely, holds a thread well. In black or white usually.

Vortexracing

get the straitline ones from CRC and adapt them, they are only £12

andyl
    Free Member

proprietary elastomeric

you do realise that is their term for “a rubbery like material that we are going to pretend is really special and only used by us but it just something we get from a catalogue of different durometer hardness materials”?

What you probably want is a block of hard polyurethane – suitable donors for such a block can be skateboard or shopping trolley wheels.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Used to use cabinet makers corner blocks back int day !

Paul-j

Not hoping for a roller type chain device, looking to make a sliding roller a mix between a ssc xcr st top guide and one for the bottom. So just like a straitline but with out the bash guard, and just a lip to stop the chain popping out side ways.

jono1982
    Free Member

nylon 66, is what we use for timing chain guides on engines

tough, hard wearing, cheap, low friction

availible in sheet, bar and tube..

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/nylon-66-sheet-rod-tube-1750-0.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DIY Chain guide. help please’ is closed to new replies.