Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • DIY bike shelter help
  • stcolin
    Free Member

Hi all,

Okay, this was supposed to be a summer project, but things dragged a bit and I couldn’t get started. Mainly because I don’t have the first clue when it comes to this kind of thing.

I want to build a wooden motorbike shelter. See photo below. There are two solid posts that I can work from. I’m guessing two braces/struts and a sheet of something on top, or is there another way? I’d like for it to cover the bike, so it needs to come out from the fence about 900-1000m max.

I have no tools for this, not even a crappy old saw. Could a timber merchant help me with pre cut stuff?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mt2c2D]20210319_161508[/url] by Colin, on Flickr

I have a few days off over the coming weeks to complete before the chances of a dry day diminish.

blokeuptheroad

A handsaw will cost around a fiver, sometimes less from Screwfix or similar and is a useful thing to have anyway. As it won’t be supporting a huge amount of weight, a 2×2 frame would probably suffice. Maybe 3×3 for the uprights. Use treated timber. For the roof Coroline corrugated bitumen sheets are good to work with or you could just use overlapping planks of feather edged board. Where abouts are you? If you’re local to Ludlow you can borrow some tools.

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks! I’m up in Manchester, so quite a bit away. I’m sure I can scrounge a few tools of friends.

I’m preparing myself for the small amount of timber to be quite expensive!

nickjb
    Free Member

Looks like the perfect project for reclaimed materials. Old fence posts, roof timbers, etc. Start looking in skips and on Facebay. You’ll probably find some roofing material too (corrugated sheet or tiles). I ran past a skip full of old roof timbers, proper pitch pine, this morning. Might go back for them later. If anyone is having a loft conversion they’ll be ripping out a load of timber Or if anyone is getting rid of a shed there will be enough material to build the whole thing, these often go free to dismantler/collector. I’ve got a similar lean to for the log store. Made from old fence posts for the uprights, old roof timbers for the bracing, tiles from a skip for the roof and old fence boards for the sides.

blokeuptheroad

Yep timber costs have skyrocketed recently. Good luck!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Eh I think it will be more complicated than you think if you want to actually get the bike in you need to be able to wheel it under. Unless you fancy hefting it sideways braces on the ends will be a pain in the hoop. Imagine how you got it into that parked position now imagine doing that with a shelf in the way.

Could you cut the outline out the shed gable and post it through there?

Actually. I might just extend that shed. Wall down the back and a post in the corner closest to the camera.

stcolin
    Free Member

I’ve already thought about how I’m going to get the bike into position. I’ll just have to lean the bike like I already do as I have a ground anchor pretty close to the wall. I also have bar end mirrors on the bike now, so it doesn’t sit as tall is it shows in the photo above. Reclaiming old materials is a good shout, I’ll have a look around.

Extending the shed is way beyond my capabilities. And the shed is currently full, no space for any of my bicycles never mind a motorbike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks like the perfect project for reclaimed materials

This!

slowol

If is doesn’t have to be 100% waterproof (just shelter) then you might get away with a fence panel for a roof (see link below). I have one on my wood store that I found between a hedge and a fence at the bottom of our garden. With a bit of a slope on it it does a reasonable job of keeping the wood dry. It’s an open shed so sideways rain always gets in anyway. Save a fair bit of cutting and chopping if it’s the right size.
    As above second hand panels can often be found or scrounged.
    https://www.diy.com/departments/traditional-lap-fence-panel-w-1-83m-h-1-22m/5013053172940_BQ.prd

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve made my wood stores and a chicken hut from old pallets, lots about and free. Just need some posts from somewhere, skips are a good shout

kayak23

Extending the shed is way beyond my capabilities. And the shed is currently full, no space for any of my bicycles never mind a motorbike.

Not extending the shed itself, but extending the roof line of the shed could work.

dyna-ti

Download a program called Sketchup. It’s quite easy to use and you can use it to give yourself an idea as to how its going to look and whats going to be involved timber wise, especially when it comes down to sizes and what youre going to need to cut. Trying to make something when you dont really know what its going to look like ends in some many headaches.
    You obviously need to factor in how the bike gets in and out. Basic for that is how, whats needed, hinges-what type. How big is the opening and so on and so forth.
    Once you’ve finalized a design and know the shape and approximate dimensions you need the job of making it will go considerably smoother with less waste and therefore less cost

Mattbike

Pallets could be used for the base and walls. Loads can be found around industrial estates.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘DIY bike shelter help’ is closed to new replies.