Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • DIY Alloy wheel refurb advice
  • Mintyjim

I’ve had the wheels bead blasted and they’ve come out fantastic. I plan to complete the little filler jobs on the rim edge this weekend then start the repaint.

I’ve got some etch primer and then silver paint + lacquer.

Question is… do I prime/paint/lacquer the outer face of the wheel, that sits ‘inside’ the tyre?

Also, I believe I leave the mating face as bare metal where it goes onto the hub.

Feedback welcome!

Greybeard
    Free Member

In my experience the most important area is the bead; you need good well cured paint in that area to avoid corrosion and air leaks. It’s easier to paint right across between the beads and then there’s no edge for corrosion to start at.

craigxxl
    Free Member

^ this

Lots of fine coats including the inner between the lips. Suspend them by a wire so they can rotated whilst spraying rather than on a flat surface. Once you’ve done use a good wheel sealant to keep them looking good.

strike
    Free Member

Once you’re done painting, Gtechniq C5 Alloy Wheel Armour is answer to longer-term protection ie stopping brake dust from biting in to the painted surface.

Mintyjim

nice one, I’ll follow the advice, although that Gtechniq is pretty dear! It’s costs 50% of what one wheel cost me!

I love a mini project over Crimbo! Note to self: don’t forget to finish fitting the new T&G ceiling in the shower room first….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘DIY Alloy wheel refurb advice’ is closed to new replies.