Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Divorce mediation question
  • Woody
    Free Member

Friend is going to mediation and cannot believe some of the questions.

The two ‘biggies’ are that they want to know how much any inheritance is expected to be (both parents are relatively young and by no means wealthy) and how current living arrangements compare to those of the marital home?

Are they entitled to know that and are the parents legally bound to divulge that sort of info?

My mate is not happy as all along the impression was that it was going to be a simple division of assets, primarily the family home and this info has been requested 3 days before the first hearing.

Also, before anyone suggests a lawyer, the one involved has been so pathetically inept (in my view to the point of negligence) that I have advised making a complaint to the Law Society, or whoever handles lawyer balls-ups.

Any advice appreciated

cynic-al
    Free Member

dunno, but change lawyer, of course.

Woody
    Free Member

That was my advice but effectively there is only one day before the hearing, so too late for this one!

NZCol

Zero to the first question and ask them what measures you shoudl use to assess equivalency.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The question on inheritance is are you expecting any in the near future. So none is correct.

Wasn’t asked the other myself, but can’t imagine that many people wind up better off.

Woody
    Free Member

That’s what I said to the first question as it is impossible to assess or predict.

If anyone actually has experience of going through the process it would be good to hear how it actually works in practice.

Capt.K – how did you find it? Fair and impartial?

restless
    Free Member

Unless it is court ordered, mediation is voluntary, so is anything that is discussed.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I do know that my Dad relinquished any claim on the house and my mum did the same on any future inheritance of his during their divorce. Mind you, that was 20 years ago and kids were involved which changes things.

If there is likely to be inheritance, what is the impact on the mediation if you lie about it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Divorce mediation question’ is closed to new replies.