Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Diverge owners
  • maddyutah

Looking at new bike narrowed down to 2 Cannondale synapse and diverge.
    I a have an old tricross at the moment and find it useful for using farm tracks,rough path etc.
    my question is how would the diverge fair on road,would be any good for sportives,long rides
    Have tried synapse and liked it but i think the diverge may be better with the rough tracks around

NormalMan

Calling CFH! CFH to the forum please!
    😉

amedias
    Free Member

Not an owner but know a couple…

how would the diverge fair on road

very well indeed, unless you’re a proper quick racer type you’ll probably find it just as quick as race style bike and a lot more comfortable, the only real downside is a bit of extra weight, but it’s not a lot.

maddyutah

no racer ,more a plodder but like to cover the miles

andysmiff1
    Free Member

No problems with mine. Used more on the road than gravel duties anyway!

Was a bog standard Diverge A1 – the blue and black one, bought on a deal I couldn’t refuse.

Claris groupset and spyres sold off on ebay netted me back most of the cash I needed for 11speed 105 from Ribble. I then sold the 105 STIs and calipers from that groupo and bought the RS685 hydros from bike 24, and sold the wheels on the bay for good money too, got me over half the price for some kinesis CX disc V3s.

Running 28c’s on the V3s but have just put on some 25s to see how they fare.

Came in at about 800 ish all in after selling bits! Pretty pleased with that! People paid silly money for the stuff I sold on ebay – the Claris groupset alone sold for just under 170 quid!!!

Done a couple of 100milers and about 8 100km rides since getting it in March, and generally do 2 25 milers a week with the work guys – who are on Propels / Colnagos / Wiliers and haven’t struggled.

Been ridden more than the MTB’s this year……..

I’ll see if I can stick some pics up later.

A

napalmgram
    Free Member

Delurking,

I’ve put ~4500 miles in on my Smartweld comp version since February. Including a particularly hilly 600km Welsh Audax. Also used as a daily commuter with a rack and panniers.

It’s been down canal towpaths, bridleways that google didn’t flag up and other bits and bobs with no problems (or at least none that wouldn’t disappear if I was a better offroad rider)

Bike is still completely standard. A couple of early season rides on rough country lanes sold me on the 30mm tyres.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Diverge has more clearance I think, which won’t slow it down.

The smart weld frames are IMO things of loveliness, but I am an alu fan.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry for missing this, was out of the country when posted originally.

In short, this is right

unless you’re a proper quick racer type you’ll probably find it just as quick as race style bike and a lot more comfortable, the only real downside is a bit of extra weight, but it’s not a lot.

Apart from the weight comment. Mine stock was exactly the same weight as the same spec Roubaix. So, barely any weight penalty.

Essentially, it’s a fast comfortable road bike with plenty of clearance. Will also take full guards (see other thread!) and loads more abuse than a race bike.

I don’t race. I wanted a fast bike that could take on some light trail work as well. It’s definitely on the faster rather than burlier end of the gnarmac spectrum, though.

My BIL has a smartweld version and the frame is a stunner.

MoreCashThanDash

I reckon a Diverge would make a cracking audax/light touring bike.

Please tell me I’m wrong before I dream the afternoon away….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s got lowrider mounts on the fork…..

MoreCashThanDash

Damn you Flashy!

seanthesheap
    Free Member

There’s a great review of the Diverge in the latest Bicycle Quarterly.

simondbarnes

Not an owner of one but we do have a comp carbon demo bike that I’ve now ridden 3 or 4 times. It’s bloody ace. If only I had some money 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MCTD, here’s a pic of one with a nice sized saddle bag (Apidura, BTW).

Not mine, or me, I should add! The chaps at Stonehenge like to do #newbikesmile pics of happy people with their new bikes.

🙂

MoreCashThanDash

No rear rack mounts or do I need to find my glasses?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The alloy/SmartWeld frames do, the carbon ones have eyelets at the dropout but would need a seatpost clamp adapter for the top stays of a rack.

I’d imagine a light touring set up like this would fit sir’s requirements.

I think it would work nicely for light touring with a set of front panniers and a big/mahoosive saddle bag. Only two bottle cage mounts, but that should be good for your audax/light touring needs.

flap_jack
    Free Member

How does it fare on the road ?

I have a 2 hour road loop that I do on a sunday morning. I’m an old fat bloke so I’m quite slow, and I ride on my own so there’s no drafting to skew things. This year I’ve been averaging low 17mph regularly on my (quite nice – CAAD4 / ultegra /dura-ace) old racing bike. First ride on the Diverge 18.2 mph. I still can’t quite believe just how well it rolls, and the cornering is insane (I have one corner which I always try to hammer, previous mid corner max according to strava 27mph, Diverge 30 mph).

I like…

andysmiff1
    Free Member

+1 on its road abilities

Did a 107k last weekend as part of a group – including 2 checkpoints and cake stops we came in at 3h 50, so averaged over 18mph all the way round.

Was comfortable too…….

A

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Diverge owners’ is closed to new replies.